Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 11:26am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can a Rear Naked Choke substitute for anesthetic?

I was thinking about this as I was watching the amputation scene in Master and Commander, and also about what would happen in the far post-nuclear apocalyptic future without anesthetic.

So say a man's arm is severely injured, and needs to be hacked off. There's no anesthetic around. Couldn't you use a choke to cut off the carotid artery to your patient to make that person pass out, then quickly hack off the limb while they're unconscious? You could probably even maintain the blood choke for a period of 10-15 seconds without permanent brain damage.

I was wondering if there was a reason this is a bad idea, and if it wasn't a bad idea, why no one in our ancient past thought to do it? Sure beats being awake while they saw your arm off.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 11:40am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 11:47am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He wants to know if he should put a tourniquet on his neck before he cuts his leg off.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Serious answer:

Dude, you can't keep RNC'ing the patient as he's getting his limb chopped off. Imagine if you first RNC him. Then, as he's regaining conciousness he goes "aaaaaahh, oh **** my leg". Are you gonna choke him again. Sounds kinda fun but impractical.

Plus the ancient and no-so ancient had stuff like opium and other herbal **** that would knock you off into zzzz land (or "oooohhh the colors, even pain has colors" land.)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/09/2007 12:07pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 12:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd be better off getting a heavyweight boxer to knock you out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:26pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No what I'm saying is. What if you hold onto the choke after he passes out. It's a blood choke because you've cut off all blood to his head, thus brain can not interpret pain signals, he's not feeling anything. But the brain can usually survive for about a minute without oxygen and nutrients. The heart will still pump as long as blood is flowing (which it is to everything below the neck).

So I'm suggesting, hold the blood choke for 10-15 seconds AFTER unconsciousness, use that time to amputate while consciousness and nervous system is still down. The doctor would have to work fast to cut it off in that amount of time, but feasible.

The things I wonder about are **** like is blood pressure affected? Which is why they have to operate in war zones without anesthetic, because it could slow the heart down, etc. I'm just wondering if we end up in a time without anesthetic, if this could be an option for painless amputation.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who told you than an amputation takes 10 to 15 seconds?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you so desperate to use your skillz 'fer r3al' in an effort to find self-validation that you sit around and think up cock-and-bull hypothetical ideas like this one?

Sheesh.

... I mean SHEESH! 7.5/10

(Ya see mama! Now I iz anesthetist!)
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tuck my kids in at night with RNCs. Makes them sleep really quickly and enforces discipline to boot. **** bedtime stories!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can just picture a run-down dentist's office in the ghetto...... A hefty man repeativly strangling a patient while the dentist tries to perform an extraction with a spoon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast