Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 6:55pm

Style: Wrestling/BJJ/Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yoga for bjj

want to start doing yogo in the moranings got about 25 mins just some questions

1.) is twenty five minutes a good amount of time
    2.) should i do it every day
    3.) how long do i hold each pose for and how many sets of each should i do?
    4.) check out my stretchs im focusing on the core,breathing and hip mobility and injury prevention

i will be using these stretches
    http://www.grapplearts.com/Yoga-for-Grappling.htm and also all these stretches i can do
    http://www.expertvillage.com/intervi...ip-openers.htm

any adivce would be greatly appreciated

p.s please read the first artical before you call me gay

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Find a yoga class. They are generally cheap as long as you avoid chains and big name gyms (usually have to sign up for the gym).

2. Post things like this in Guantanamo. Believe me, these guys can be pretty sensitive about material in DHS. They will pipefuck you. Seriously.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why on bloody hell did you create this thread in DHS? Serious question.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 9:52pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I moved this to the health forum just in case someone felt like discussing the topic, even though this thread has been done about 30 times in the past. Macho, do whatever you want with it.

I suggest Trollshido, personally.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 10:13pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did kundalini & hatha Yoga for a year and a half several years ago and would 110% recommend hatha (99% of what you see advertised as Yoga in the states) for what you need. I doubt 25 minutes is enough though - I did it as 1 hour classes 4 times per week. We usually spent the first 10-15 minutes warming up and stepping up to the basic stretches. After that we moved on to the more difficult stuff while ramping the breathing up. The last 10 minutes were for cooling back down.

I'll definitely second taking it as a class instead of a video or something. The instructor will help a lot with the breathing & mental focus part of it. I guarantee you'll be a better BJJ player after just 6 months or so just from the endurance gained from having a stronger diaphragm and the practice breathing in positions that aren't too different than rolling puts you in.

Also look for Yoga classes at your local comminity college for really cheap - think I paid $60-$65 per term for mine several years ago.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 11:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out the book "Yoga for the Martial Artist." I got it about a year ago because t3e de4dly wrist locks in hapkido were started to cause some semi-perminant damage. It was vaugly useful for that, but there's great stuff that I use now that I'm taking bjj. I got it at border's I think, so it's not hard to find

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 7:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    I moved this to the health forum just in case someone felt like discussing the topic, even though this thread has been done about 30 times in the past. Macho, do whatever you want with it.

I suggest Trollshido, personally.
    Thanks for moving it dude. I'm gonna start cleaning this **** (joining threads or trollshido.) As you have said, it's been done like a kazillion times, and simple search would do. It's not like this is such an obscure topic that not even the search func can find.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 7:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what's worth, to the OP, get either of these two DVDs by Karen Voight (which are about $10 each)

http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Voight-Y...933104&sr=8-16

http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Voight-Y...1933104&sr=8-8

They'll get you on track to get the most out of yoga in a 25+/- minute session. And please use the search function. This has been beaten to death already.