Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 7:46pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and

Quote Originally Posted by pnwnorseman
    ... How the **** does the grappler deal with this scenario? Yeah ONCE you get in close enough you have like 99% chance to win, but getting there is the battle. And try to remember that while there aren't nearly as many swords and bo staves around as there used to be, pipes, pool cues, broken bottles and many other improvised weapons immitate those styles of attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by pnwnorseman
    ... I wasn't trying to rag on any art, I was just curious. ...
    you sure sounded like you wanted to rag on grappling.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Babachewy
    Some of the weapons defense stuff I learned in Tae Kwon Do was bad Judo, which is a grappling art. Take my word for it, I'm an expert in bad Judo.

My favorite was when someone attacked you with a sword (maybe you're at a Renn Fair and you cut in front of one of the knights at the turkey leg booth), as they raise their arms up you rush in for Ippon Seionage.
    The last few months in Oslo has shown two attacks with the ever so cliché like "Samurai sword". One guy was killed, another confrontation ended up with a guy being stabbed in the neck (not by a sword, by a knife, but there were swords in the mix). Oh yeah, and we have low crime rates btw. This was gang stuff.

More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 10:32pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    The last few months in Oslo has shown two attacks with the ever so cliché like "Samurai sword". One guy was killed, another confrontation ended up with a guy being stabbed in the neck (not by a sword, by a knife, but there were swords in the mix). Oh yeah, and we have low crime rates btw. This was gang stuff.

so just wondering, what does a Norwegian gang fight look like? aside from the obvious samurai swords and blond people...

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 11:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasreal
    so just wondering, what does a Norwegian gang fight look like? aside from the obvious samurai swords and blond people...
    To be honest the first incident was with a crazy settlement with Tamil guys who apparently had some insane quarrel. The second was with one of the major gangs which are mostly composed of Asians and Middle eastern to eastern european types.

Norwegian gangs are usually Neo Nazis with some form of connection to racism. It wouldn't look much different from any other scrap in the world.

This isn't really indicative of daily events over here. We're one of the more peaceful countries in the world. :) It just popped into my head when swords were mentioned. I still can't believe people are running around with swords nowadays.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:19am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 pages over a style that teaches defense against weapons and no mention of FMA?

edit: ok I saw the Dog Brothers mentioned. They are the face of FMA to this forum probably.

but there's more to FMA than just them (although they are somewhat of the cream of the crop)

many FMA schools train "alive" with weapons. (not all as hardcore as the dog brothers unfortunately but many come close.)

Solution is train a grappling system. and then train in a form of FMA. (Kali/Escrima/Arnis)

but as was stated earlier... you'll likely get cut going empty-hand to knife no matter what, FMA empty vs knife is just meant to minimize the cut you'll get and maximize your chance of surviving. Usually you want to reach around for something else to use. or use your belt or wrapped shirt/jacket.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know of any FMA grappling styles.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Rigan Machado win the first ever Dog Brothers gathering via Grapple over Stick? I heard this somewhere else and would appreciate if anyone could verify this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know of any FMA grappling styles.
    Dumog? hmm.. dunno if thats a style so much as a set of FMA ground techs.

Kali Tudo - Contemporary FMA/MMA from the dog brothers would probably meet that requirement though.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Dumog was a bunch of poking and squeezing at pressure points and other nonsense. :)

I suppose the Dog Brothers will have more realistic skill regarding grappling with weapons than most others yes. Are they a style?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Dumog was a bunch of poking and squeezing at pressure points and other nonsense. :)

I suppose the Dog Brothers will have more realistic skill regarding grappling with weapons than most others yes. Are they a style?
    DB uses BJJ for their ground component but modifies some of it for work with weapons. (using sticks as levers on the ground for example)

and no Dumog isn't pressure points...
    It's mostly neck/spine crank type stuff
    limited take downs and joint destruction.

I think your referring to some other component.
    only Pressure Point stuff i've encountered in FMA is the tiny bit of pain compliance crap where you hit or apply pressure to the points with the punyo of the stick after a lock or during a attacking block.
    that
    Remy Presas included to keep Dillman's ass happy so he could be in the seminar circuit and make that $$$

generally.. you don't want to grapple or go to the ground with weapons.. but if anyone teaches ground + weapons in a alive manner at the same time. It's the dog brothers.
    Last edited by variance; 10/10/2007 1:03am at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast