Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The TL;DR version of that is "Be inefficient".
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    :biggrin: I think these guys beg to differ... Maybe if you're talking about light-heavies and up but the lower weight classes (like me) don't seem to have problems keeping the 6-pack and fighting.
    No disrespect dude, but you can be to differ as much as you like. This is a subject that has been beaten to death and yet it appears again and again.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

This needs to be repeated, and perhaps I'll create a sticky or an article on this subject so that whenever somebody makes this argument, I'll reply back with a link to it.

But until then, this is what needs to be said:

The individuals you chose as examples have the genetics to pull that off. Not everybody has those physical characteristics. This is a fact. In particular, this is a fact for mesomorph and some ectomorphs (yep, some ectomorphs cannot perform anaerobic activities with a low body fat %).

OTH, a well defined slim look can be pulled by most endomorphs and some ectomorphs (not all) for high anaerobic activities such as combat sports. This phenomenon occurs in all weight classes, from bantamweight to heavyweight.

Looking at your examples, this needs to be said:

J-Lau is an endomorph that can pull a lean physique with abs showing.

Rampage and Huerta are ectomorphs that can remain lean without losing much muscle mass. They do not suffer from having a low body fat when performing in combat sports.

And that's the key phrase: performing in combat sports. Anyone, and I mean, anyone can get a six pack and retain it... so long as the only thing they do is lift weights, eat properly, **** and sleep.

Make them perform a highly anaerobic activity and many of these individuals either crash or have to add additional body fat to avoid wasting and dissapearing into thin air.

And this has nothing to do with their athletic capabilities or discipline. It has to do with their genetic make-up and the natural weight and body-weight composition that works best for them for a given athletic activity.

It is naive to think that just because Rampage, J-Lau and Huerta can sport a defined abdominal section when performing in combat sports, that's an indictation that everybody at any weight class can do the same during the performance of physical activities in general and anaerobic-demanding activities such as combat sports in particular.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oversteer
    Some good info in this thread :thumbsup:

Just out of interest, why is that? Is it that they are not eating enough to properly fuel their bodies in order to get the six pack or something? Obviously Fedor doesn't have anything close to a six pack, and he's bad ass, but I'm just wondering why it could be detrimental. I've always thought it would be cool to impress chicks.
    Genetics, dude, genetics.

Your optimal weight class and body fat % are a function of two variables: your genetics or body type (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph) and the activity in question.

First, you need to look at your genetics, your body type (and to a point, your age.) Then you look at the physical activity you want to engage. Those two will determine the best weight and body fat % with which to perform best in the given activity.

If you choose to actively participate in marathons, you will perform best at a given weight and body fat %.

If you choose bodybuilding, those numbers will be much greater. Same if you choose to do powerlifting or something like that.

If you choose a highly anaerobic activity such as combat sports, then your numbers will be different.

In very simplistic terms (which hold true for most human beings), when you subject yourself to the training regime required for such a physical activity, the outcome will be one of the following two, which tend to be mutually exclusive:

A). Your body will get leaner without losing lean mass (muscle), and you will perform best in the given sport.

B). Your body will lose lean mass (muscle) while retaining the same amount of body fat before engaging in the sport (thus increasing your total body fat %), and you will perform best in the given sport.

C.) Your body will not lose lean mass, but will demand to increase its body fat %, with which it will perform best.

D.) You will increase muscle mass (meaning you were severely underweight or with a poor diet and health), and you will perform best.

E.) You will crash, exhaust, run out of gas or get sick and fail to achieve your best performance levels until you let your body fit options A, B, C, or D.

Every person has a body which is uniquely tuned, and which perform best for a given activity when allowed to have certain characteristics (body fat %, lean mass, etc.) Fedor (and his brother Alexander) seem to be somewhere between being endomorphic and mesomorphic.

Arlovsky and Couture OTH, they are truly mesomorphic and have no problem in pulling that off.

At the end of the day, what's important is to achieve the correct body composition that allows you to perform best in a given sport. If that body composition happens to be one which you like, then you are a lucky one and kudos to you. :icon_thum

If not, oh well, blame it on Darwin ;)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/26/2007 11:07am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 11:47am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Every person has a body which is uniquely tuned, and which perform best for a given activity when allowed to have certain characteristics (body fat %, lean mass, etc.) Fedor (and his brother Alexander) seem to be somewhere between being endomorphic and mesomorphic."

Yeah, it's always a mystery how things will play out when you work out. I say it's all trial and error.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 11:57am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Genetics, dude, genetics.

.... lots of appropriate and well thought out commentary posted here, as usual, by El Macho...

Every person has a body which is uniquely tuned, and which perform best for a given activity when allowed to have certain characteristics (body fat %, lean mass, etc.) Fedor (and his brother Alexander) seem to be somewhere between being endomorphic and mesomorphic.

If not, oh well, blame it on Darwin ;)

Nice post.

Side note - highlighted para describes me - so clearly I'm destined for greatness as I'm just like the Emelianenko brothers.

Yeah baby! good mood for the rest of the day as I wallow in the glory that will surely be mine.

UFC Fighter

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 4:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WikiPedia.

* Ectomorphic body type is characterized by long arms and legs and a short upper body and narrow shoulders, and supposedly have a higher proportion of nervous tissue. They also have long and thin muscles. Ectomorphs usually have a very low fat storage; therefore they are usually referred to as slim.

* Mesomorphic body type is characterized by a high rate of muscle growth and a higher proportion of muscular tissue. They have large bones, solid torso combined with low fat levels. It is also noted that they have wide shoulders with a narrow waist.
    * Endomorphic body type is characterized by an increased amount of fat storage, due to having a larger number of fat cells than the average person, as well as higher proportion of digestive tissue. They have a wide waist and a large bone structure.
    I think I am more Mesomorphic...

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 4:59pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lau
    I think I am more Mesomorphic...
    Whoa you're still posting here?

I just joined the Brandeis BJJ Club and was told you used to teach it. Everyone spoke highly about you.

UFC Fighter

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 5:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Whoa you're still posting here?

I just joined the Brandeis BJJ Club and was told you used to teach it. Everyone spoke highly about you.
    They might speak highly of me, but I speak highly of Greg. Guy remembers everything.

BJJ wins again!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that was a typo . . . I don't look at Joe and think "endomorph." I look at me and think "endomorph."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12