Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/05/2002 6:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know if I could fairly compare boxing to karate. Just remeber if a karate person could use any weopon against a boxer it would be with the leg. Just kick in the groin. Boxers have their arms up high mostly and karate in the middile or very low depends on style of karate.
    As for judo vs wrestling it depends on all the above mentioned. What I do find interesting is the old style of judo that was originally taught by Kano. It was much much more combat oriented and looked very similar to jujitsu. It had alot more strikes and joint locking/breaking techniques. Its hard to find but one good book is KANO'S JUDO/JUJITSU if I recall correctly it was by someone name Irving Hancock and Kano's earlier students. Judo became watered down after it becam an Olympic sport.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Titan

Posted On:
    10/07/2002 5:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freddy's right about Judo, now it's very watered down.

Old school Judo was more or less what BJJ is today, with less gaurd techniques.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/07/2002 10:33am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Its hard to find but one good book is KANO'S JUDO/JUJITSU if I recall correctly it was by someone name Irving Hancock and Kano's earlier students.

You can still find this book in Japanese at www.buyubooks.com

as far as who would win? The guy with the heart and balls to make sure the other guy get put down and stays down.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2002 2:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing & Wrestling would usually win. Boxing is better than Karate for stand-up, and Judo groundwork is outdated and lacking. If Judo was replaced with BJJ, my choice would be different.

Posted On:
    10/15/2002 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is a boxers still would have to deal with a karate fighters kicks. A good kick to the groin or knee with finish any fight.
    I dont think judo's ground work is outdated they are still used in BJJ although I would agree they need to be more progressive. I forget his name but there was some article on the net where this judo guy was challenge by a wrestler and the judo guy won. I personally would say all are good and learn all of them.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    10/15/2002 2:45pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin and Judo would be a tough combo to beat. I think it'd be dead even with Boxing/Folkstyle wrestling. In a cage, the wrestler would have the advantage, and the Judoka would be better in a ring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2002 3:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darkface said it best. It all depends on the individual. This is assuming that they are practicing real Karate (full contact styles, no wide reaching blocks, hip chambered punches exposing the head, or deep stances)

A.K.A MEAT

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/15/2002 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God that argument annoys me.
    Could you beat me in a race if I was in Porsche and you were in a Yugo even if you were the better driver?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2002 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think karate/judo.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    10/15/2002 4:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about all four?

Didn't expect to see that, did you. Take the techniques from all of them. Get rid of the crap and keep the cream... wrestling shoots, judo throws, newaza (well, lets say Kano Judo or BJJ), Boxing footwork/stance, kyoukoshin to suppliment for non-punching technique - and get rid of the limits on where you can and can not strike (especially with elbows and punches) and you'd have a excellent system. Hell, why not go all the way and add in yoga for flexibility and being able to use the rubber guard? (For those that don't know, using the ability to put your legs behind your head like a pretzel to get all kinds of crazy locks and chokes from a guard position, such as a triangle)

Otherwise, what ends up hurting the practicioner is the limitations that they impose on theirself in the name of their style. I made a HUGE introductory post about this subject... but essentially what you should do is just not limit yourself. PURE boxers can't handle kicks, real clinches, or any kind of wrestling or grappling, nor kicks, knees, and any elbows besides the "dirty boxing" you occasionally see. PURE wrestlers can't handle "unfair holds". PURE Karateka can't handle a punch combo, or grappling. PURE Judoka can't handle effective striking, or wrestling shoots (well, perhaps not all, but most today). Remove the ridiculous limitations!

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast