Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 4:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fujian White Crane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Core exercises while my leg is in plaster

I dislocated my knee while training last weekend and have now have a full leg cast for the next 3 weeks. With a leg cast its kinda hindering me from doing any training at all but I really want to try and keep my fitness up throughout and even work on my making my core and upper body stronger.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or could recommend any awesome exercises that I can do with a very straight and hard casted leg.

thanks

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 6:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua/TaiChi Kung Fu Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. Don't do anything and let it heal.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 4:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The basic core exercises such as crunches, oblique crunches, simple back extensions don't use any leg movement when performed properly. Also, if the cast doesn't hinder your hip movement, you could probably do leg raises (although the cast would create a weight imbalance, but that could possibly be compensated for). To make these exercises more challenging with the ROM limitation, slow your tempo down, focus your mind on the muscle contraction instead of banging out reps, and use some strategically placed resistance.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 5:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FKG View Post
    Yeah. Don't do anything and let it heal.
    Weak advice. I'm starting to notice a pattern here.

Grip strength can be trained, overhead press, wheeling your wheelchair to the preacher rack to do curls, etc. What TaeBo Master said.

Coming back after I broke/fractured my leg, my RMT at the time noted my arms and upperback were really tight from overuse of the muscles from being on crutches. Don't forget to stretch those our regularly and don't rush back to training.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 5:47pm

Style: Kyokushin, Boxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sit in the V sit position and hold a barbell plate and move it side to side. (left and right in a half circular motion).

I don't know what that particular exercise is called though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 8:13pm

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Sit in the V sit position and hold a barbell plate and move it side to side. (left and right in a half circular motion).

i think its a variation of the "russian twist"

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 9:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post

Another name I've heard it called is MASON TWIST
    Not sure if this exercise is recommended for people with lower back problems. I would start off body weight, then light dumbbell, before going to a plate.

This version below does not seem to advocate raising the legs in the air (harder obviously with a large cast on) to activate more stabilizing muscles in the hips. That can be another step of added difficulty once the body has adapted to the initial levels of this exercise.
    YouTube - How to Work Out Properly : Mason Twist Exercise
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try hanging leg lifts. I don't know if you could hold the stiff leg to the good one for stability, then do hanging leg lifts. Combo it with inverse rows and pull ups.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 3:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're gonna do the Russian Twist variation, I would advise actually shortening the ROM from what most people do. Most people come all the way around and try to touch the floor. This is gonna make most of the ROM actually pretty weakly resisted, and you'll be wasting most of the exercise. Instead, keep your arms straight and turn your shoulders so that your hands "draw" and imaginary horizontal line. You should be able to get between 30 and 45 in each direction, which is about the limit of spinal rotation. Any farther and you're just bringing excess motion into play which will take the focus off the abdominals.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hanging leg raises with leg(s) bent at the knee(s) if the dislocated joint cant handle the pressure?

Some front lever exercises (there are lots of easier variations than the full thing) on a pull up bar?

One leg pushups?

Use your imagination and im sure you can think of something you can do!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast