Posted On:
    10/07/2007 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Children, knife-training and weapons

Greetings,

I couldn't find a thread dealing with this topic (if there is one, you'll let me know anyhow) I had a debate with my wife about...

She thinks it is not good that our kids see me having rubber training knives, it's not good that I let them play with them several times...

She believes the kids (4 and 6 yrs old) are too young to understand the difference between a rubber and a real blade and are at risk of using a blade against somebody out of anger or even playfully, with possibly tragic consequences.

I think it's good to talk to them about the dangers of knives/blades (which we both do), but it is also good to show them that one can train carefully with rubber objects. I am in no way showing off infront of my kids, I've never done knife sparring infront of them. I do play with them using their TESCO foam swords though... ;-)

Any suggestions, ideas, results of your own home made debates?

Made me think of the gun-at-home-child-finds-shoots-somebody scenarios. Is there any statistics about whether or not the gunholder spoke with the kid about the dangers of the weapon, or did he/she just hide and lock away the gun, without explanation and curiosity caused the most damage?

My wife mentioned how crazy the husband of one of her colleagues is by showing his 3 yrs old son how to load a real pistol...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does she not recall what young boys played with 20+ years ago? Jesus.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Greetings,

I couldn't find a thread dealing with this topic (if there is one, you'll let me know anyhow) I had a debate with my wife about...

She thinks it is not good that our kids see me having rubber training knives, it's not good that I let them play with them several times...

She believes the kids (4 and 6 yrs old) are too young to understand the difference between a rubber and a real blade and are at risk of using a blade against somebody out of anger or even playfully, with possibly tragic consequences.

I think it's good to talk to them about the dangers of knives/blades (which we both do), but it is also good to show them that one can train carefully with rubber objects. I am in no way showing off infront of my kids, I've never done knife sparring infront of them. I do play with them using their TESCO foam swords though... ;-)

Any suggestions, ideas, results of your own home made debates?

Made me think of the gun-at-home-child-finds-shoots-somebody scenarios. Is there any statistics about whether or not the gunholder spoke with the kid about the dangers of the weapon, or did he/she just hide and lock away the gun, without explanation and curiosity caused the most damage?

My wife mentioned how crazy the husband of one of her colleagues is by showing his 3 yrs old son how to load a real pistol...

As long as you teach your kids to treat the training blades as though they were real blades, I don't see the problem at all.

Actually, if properly done, that age group is perfect to teach kids about weapons and safety because they haven't seen or learned differently yet. It's about making a first impression.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Infidel

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 12:15pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better than letting your kids play with dolls!

Just kidding Lebell, nothing wrong with that....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 2:32pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You definitely want to ingrain weapons safety with your children at an early age. Everything I've ever seen from various gun rights/shooting clubs has shown that children who are taught about weapons safety are far less likely to accidentally injure or kill someone.

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 7:30pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    You definitely want to ingrain weapons safety with your children at an early age. Everything I've ever seen from various gun rights/shooting clubs has shown that children who are taught about weapons safety are far less likely to accidentally injure or kill someone.

I completely agree, but I would still wait until the children have the mental and physical capability to handle one. I personally think gun owners anxious to get their boys shooting early should wait until around age 10, at the very least. I mean, that's not a solid number, because kids mature at different rates, but you understand what I mean.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    I completely agree, but I would still wait until the children have the mental and physical capability to handle one. I personally think gun owners anxious to get their boys shooting early should wait until around age 10, at the very least. I mean, that's not a solid number, because kids mature at different rates, but you understand what I mean.
    I understand your logic. But there are far too many cases in North America about children far younger than the age of 10 being involved in firearms mishaps because they weren't educated properly about firearms.

In most of these cases, the firearm was stored improperly with the parent assuming that the child wouldn't find it. Unfortunately, the child does find it, and not being properly taught, if at all, about firearms safety (and I'm referring to the 4 basic firearms safety laws), well.....I guess I don't have to write about it.

I learned about firearms safety when I was 5. Maybe that was too young, maybe it wasn't. But I can tell you that the biggest lesson I learned, that being that firearms are dangerous if misused, has stayed with me throughout my life.

I think the real problem is that too many parents let the damn television babysit and teach their kids. If a kid finds a gun in a drawer, or in some other inappropriate place, and he wasn't taught about firearms safety, he's more likely going to emulate what he sees on the TV.

Of course, that's just my two cents.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:42am

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an idea-
    Leave your gun out in the open, with a blank round chambered in it.
    Wait until your kid sees it, and walks over to it.
    "Timmy, Stop!" Run over to him. "You could get yourself hurt touching that thing. Remember when daddy said that you need to respect the gun..."
    *fumble around with gun, pull trigger while facing away from his side.*
    BLAM!
    "AHHHHHHH,AHHHHHHH,AHHHHHH!!!!! OH MY GOD!!! AHHHH.... Ah, just kidding. But now you see what can happen when you play with daddy's toys without being careful."

Oh course, your kid will hate you from that point on, but what the hell- he now knows safety when handling firearms.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    I have an idea-
    Leave your gun out in the open, with a blank round chambered in it.
    Wait until your kid sees it, and walks over to it.
    "Timmy, Stop!" Run over to him. "You could get yourself hurt touching that thing. Remember when daddy said that you need to respect the gun..."
    *fumble around with gun, pull trigger while facing away from his side.*
    BLAM!
    "AHHHHHHH,AHHHHHHH,AHHHHHH!!!!! OH MY GOD!!! AHHHH.... Ah, just kidding. But now you see what can happen when you play with daddy's toys without being careful."

Oh course, your kid will hate you from that point on, but what the hell- he now knows safety when handling firearms.

Hmm....well, that's certainly thinking outside the box....lol.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    ...I think the real problem is that too many parents let the damn television babysit and teach their kids. If a kid finds a gun in a drawer, or in some other inappropriate place, and he wasn't taught about firearms safety, he's more likely going to emulate what he sees on the TV.

Of course, that's just my two cents.
    Gotta hate all that g*ddamn **** they air on childrens channels as "cartoons" and "fairytales" - it's just a bunch of animated Apocalypse now, yelling, fighting, shooting, stabbing... Dying...

Maybe even kids that ARE taught about the danger of blades and/or weapons can react in a stressful situation according to what they've seen so many times done so easily and succesfully... "He made me angry, I gotta punish him. With the weapon..."

Just thinking aloud...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast