225115 Bullies, 3722 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 4:25pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ, Judo, and other grappling black belts - are jobs hard to come by?

I was wondering, how hard is it for somebody that has a relatively high rank in any grappling art, such as any dan black belt in BJJ or a 3rd dan or higher in Judo, to get a job in their respective arts?

Just wondering, is it hard to get a job as an instructor or not?

EDIT: In case you're wondering, I was thinking about how there aren't really a lot of grappling schools/clubs/dojos around, and thought that maybe there really isn't a great demand for instructors...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 7:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would assume that if you had legitimate credentials, you could probably be successful if theres enough interest. although the first couple months might be tough, once you have regulars that train and pay often, i'd think you'd be fine. Prices for instruction are usually decently high, but that might be offset by high rent, initial investment in mats and equipment. You would make your own schedule too, but once its set out, not going would be pretty bad.

WARNING: This is coming from a high school student, and I don't know jackshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 9:15pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju
    I was wondering, how hard is it for somebody that has a relatively high rank in any grappling art, such as any dan black belt in BJJ or a 3rd dan or higher in Judo, to get a job in their respective arts?

EDIT: In case you're wondering, I was thinking about how there aren't really a lot of grappling schools/clubs/dojos around, and thought that maybe there really isn't a great demand for instructors...
    Depends what you mean by "job". If you are past shodan in Judo, you can get money for instruction if you teach in a commercial place but it won't pay your rent.
    You really need to win something internationally to be even considered for full time Judo jobs and there's only few places that offer those jobs. Most of Judo coaching/administration is based on volunteering.

In BJJ I know people that are purple belts and run their own gyms for living.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 9:28pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju

Most people join up with a legitimate gym and work as an instructor there first, get some experience, and then look to branch out and start up their own gym. BJJ has much better name recognition than Judo does. It's not hard to find a gym that will use you if you want to be an instructor, but don't expect it to pay rent. One of my good friends in Jersey is a Brown belt in BJJ, a second dan in Judo. He taught grappling for about three years before he started making money off of it, and he still keeps his day job. Of course, there's a ton of Jujitsu places, (and great schools all over) in Jersey. Where I'm at, I would kill for a place where I could just work my ground game.

Posted On:
    10/06/2007 9:55pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're at LSU there is Gladiator's Academy on Florida east of Airline. Also LSU has a judo club. I know that isn't all ground but it's 80 bucks for both semesters and you're right there.