Thats special.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vince tortelli
    I don't drink, so I'll bring the chips and the degenerage European can bring the beer.
    I don't either....I was just thinking of all the other rummys on this board
    h, and: PANHANDLING! BAN PLZ!
    so says the king of the gravy-train
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    so you're one entity?

Thats special.
    we are legion.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:54pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I do think Cung Le is dodging a real MMA fight.
    I haven't talked with Cung Le for 10 years, and it's impossible to know another man's heart, but this just doesn't sound like him. It seems more likely to me that the Strikeforce management is trying to build him up slowly, thus milking his enormous draw at the arena in San Jose. In any case, I hope he gets some good MMA fights before he passes his prime.

As for Le's chances against a serious grappler in MMA, who knows? I can tell you this: he was a damn good wrestler, he has fine takedowns and takedown defense from years of san shou, and he's been training groundfighting for eight years with the best guys in Northern California. Frank Shamrock, not known for his humility, had this to say about his first time sparring with Le:

"I knew he was a world-class athlete and a ferocious competitor, and so am I, so it seemed like a really good opportunity to get some training in," says Shamrock, recalling the meeting. "Well, he threw me on my head about 20 times in the first round. And he got tired of throwing me on my head, so he started kicking me and throwing me on my head. After a few more rounds, we hugged and said, Bye.' "

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 5:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Sorry, I have to agree with Oldman bigpoop. I know what you are trying to say but you failed miserably.

I do think Cung Le is dodging a real MMA fight. Thing is, in his ruleset, he is a badass champion. End of story.

What you are doing is saying Mike Tyson sucks because he didn't hop into the ring with Royce Gracie under UFC rules.

That's bullshit. Tyson was a badass for years in his rule set. Gracie was a badass for years in his rule set.

So, the fact Royce didn't fight Tyson in boxing detracts from his legacy?
    The difference between Tyson and Cung Le is that Tyson's pro fights were all against boxers under boxing rules. All of Cung Le's K-1 fights were against total bums who usually hadn't even fought under San Shou rules before. He'd have been better off fighting Mary Lou Retton and Lance Armstrong. They have the same amount of San Shou expirence as his opponents, and have a lot more name recognition.

I'm not saying Cung Le is ducking a MMA fight or that his legacy is tarnished by not instantly fighting Fedor. I'm saying what is the truth. This is a man who was a world champion at San Shou, and then proceeds to fight 17 straight journeymen, rookies and old men. He didn't fight a single legit title contender, and any skilled fighters he went up against had never fought under his rules before. The guy is no doubt good at San Shou, but he's apparently not very good at matchmaking.

I have no idea why people hug this guy's nuts so hard.

Also, don't pull this "OMG HE DIDN'T CHOSE HIS OPPONENTS LOLOLOL" bullshit. The fighter has more choice as to who he fights than you think, and if his promoter isn't giving him real fights, it's his obligation to leave, not have 17 straight fights with that promoter against complete bums and then claim to be a HOUSEHOULD NAME IN FIGHTING!
    Last edited by BigPopp; 10/09/2007 6:00pm at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 5:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPopp
    The difference between Tyson and Cung Le is that Tyson's pro fights were all against skilled boxers under boxing rules. All of Cung Le's K-1 fights were against total bums who usually hadn't even fought under San Shou rules before. He'd have been better off fighting Mary Lou Retton and Lance Armstrong. They have the same amount of San Shou expirence as his opponents, and have a lot more name recognition.

I'm not saying Cung Le is ducking a MMA fight or that his legacy is tarnished by not instantly fighting Fedor. I'm saying what is the truth. This is a man who was a world champion at San Shou, and then proceeds to fight 17 straight journeymen, rookies and old men. He didn't fight a single legit title contender, and any skilled fighters he went up against had never fought under his rules before. The guy is no doubt good at San Shou, but he's apparently not very good at matchmaking.

I have no idea why people hug this guy's nuts so hard.

Also, don't pull this "OMG HE DIDN'T CHOSE HIS OPPONENTS LOLOLOL" bullshit. The fighter has more choice as to who he fights than you think, and if his promoter isn't giving him real fights, it's his obligation to leave, not have 17 straight fights with that promoter against complete bums and then claim to be a HOUSEHOULD NAME IN FIGHTING!
    Bullshit.

Th first 17 fucking fights Tyson had were goddam tomato cans handpicked by Cus D'Mato, Jimmy Jacobs and Bill Cayton.

It wasn't until he fought Jessie "Thunder" Ferguson that he had an actual match against a quality opponant and then turned around and fought another half-dozen easy matched until he got to Trevor Berbick, arguably at that time, the safest of the three heavyweight champs.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 5:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aardvarks, neg rep for your signature, bitch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 5:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    Bullshit.

Th first 17 fucking fights Tyson had were goddam tomato cans handpicked by Cus D'Mato, Jimmy Jacobs and Bill Cayton.

It wasn't until he fought Jessie "Thunder" Ferguson that he had an actual match against a quality opponant and then turned around and fought another half-dozen easy matched until he got to Trevor Berbick, arguably at that time, the safest of the three heavyweight champs.
    And the first 17 fights Tyson had were a who's who of boxing compared to Cung Le's cherrypicking. Tyson's opponents had fought under boxing rules before, unlike Cung "HOUSEHOULD NAME BITCH" Le, who apparently thinks the proper opponent for a world champion is a man who's never fought in a San Shou match before.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 5:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the first 17 fights Tyson had were a who's who of boxing compared to Cung Le's cherrypicking. Tyson's opponents had fought under boxing rules before, unlike Cung "HOUSEHOULD NAME BITCH" Le, who apparently thinks the proper opponent for a world champion is a man who's never fought in a San Shou match before.
    One of Tyson's first 17 fights was against a security guard that had worked the same day as the match.

If Bruce "The Mouse" Strauss had been able to make weight, I am sure Tyson's bookers would have made the match.

Perhaps Le's handler's have been cherrypicking, all I know is making the comparison to Tyson is idiotic.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 6:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was responding to It is Fake, actually. He started the whole Mike Tyson analogy.

Is attacking the semantics of the analogy all you have, or can you actually offer a real retort to my arguments?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 6:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was responding to It is Fake, actually. He started the whole Mike Tyson analogy.

Is attacking the semantics of the analogy all you have, or can you actually offer a real retort to my arguments?
    serious business

By no means am I dealing in semantics.

Merely facts.
    Originally Posted by BigPopp
    The difference between Tyson and Cung Le is that Tyson's pro fights were all against skilled boxers under boxing rules.
    You stated they were skilled boxers and I assert the bulk of his opponants pre-title match were not. In fact the title match was cherry picked:
    1) WBC title holder Trevor Berbick who's only claim to fame was he fought an old Ali
    2) Michael Spinks who prevented Larry Holmes from breaking Rocky Marciano's record (another bout of cherry-picking)
    3) Pinklon Thomas who was seen as the biggest threat in the heavyweight division in 1986. It was believed "Pinky T" had the size and chin to stand up to Tyson and the boxing skills to frustrate him.

I fail to see the hair-splitting semantics.

If you wish to only address IIF, PM him next time

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast