Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 11:42am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whosthemaster
    Normly I sparr with just the padded stick. It is not rattan but a hard plastic hollow stick, covered with stuffing used to isolate eletricity in pipes and tape. We of course refrain from striking the head, but one time I got an unlucky blow that got quite near my eyes and scared the **** out of me. But any other part of the body being hit is fine, even the knees and elbows. In order to prevent those unlucky shots to the eyes we tend to use caps whenever possible.
    Boxing gloves and head protection are also used when going more serious.
    Which kind of padded stick do you use? The ones with the handle or without? I caught one of the latter in the mouth this past weekend and was bleeding from it. No biggie- cleaned up and kept on fighting, but my main gripe with the cheapie foam rubber ones is that they bend so they're pretty worthless for locks, chokes, etc. Wondered if the handle kind (the $50 a pop kind) were better for that.

And hey Red, if you spar with rattan, can you grapple easily / at all with hockey gloves on? Just saw some video of Crafty, and he seemed to be pretty able to do it, but it's hard to tell on a postage-stamp sized video. I've only just started with the sticks, but I've got my 5 year plan for working them into a kali tudo / MMA kind of thing. Fencing mask and knee pads sound reasonable, but I'd prefer as little padding as possible for maximum freedom of movement.

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 11:47am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer smak-stiks(which don't bend very much) for light work so you don't have to throw on pads as much, and then Rattan or Lameco sticks for full on sparring. The biggest thing is that rigid sticks are more responsive, so it will encourage more technical sparring.

When working with actionflex, people who drill primarily with rattan sticks will almost immediately notice that the stick isn't doing what they're telling it to do, and thus you'll see a lot of technique go out of the door, especially with deflections or anything involving quickly changing direction of the stick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    I prefer smak-stiks(which don't bend very much) for light work so you don't have to throw on pads as much, and then Rattan or Lameco sticks for full on sparring. The biggest thing is that rigid sticks are more responsive, so it will encourage more technical sparring.

When working with actionflex, people who drill primarily with rattan sticks will almost immediately notice that the stick isn't doing what they're telling it to do, and thus you'll see a lot of technique go out of the door, especially with deflections or anything involving quickly changing direction of the stick.
    Ah, okay, that's what the ones with the handles are called. Yeah, the ones I was working with were the foam black ones with the dragons on the side. Fun, cheap, but needed to be straightened every time I landed a blow. At the end of the day they looked like a pair of bent pipe cleaners.

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are multiple brands with handles. Actionflex is a floppier brand. Smak stiks is avery stiff brand. Ryno and his club are the only ones I know who can regularly break them(I don't do hard power work with them, so i imagine mine are just getting a lot less stress. I tend to wear out actionflex sticks fairly quickly at my normal intensity).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:16pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    The secret to Dogzillas success!
    I'd prefer the Holodeck actually, since you can always turn the safety measures on. Not to mention being able to just say "computer, add holographical representation of Angelina Jolie. Good, now change background to heart shaped bed"...

Quote Originally Posted by mojo23
    Which kind of padded stick do you use? The ones with the handle or without? I caught one of the latter in the mouth this past weekend and was bleeding from it. No biggie- cleaned up and kept on fighting, but my main gripe with the cheapie foam rubber ones is that they bend so they're pretty worthless for locks, chokes, etc. Wondered if the handle kind (the $50 a pop kind) were better for that.
    This is the tipe we have been using:
    Spoiler:

Under the padding the stick is like this:
    Spoiler:

The padding doesn't last long but the stick itself is very resistant so it is a cheap way to sparr.
    Last edited by Whosthemaster; 12/19/2007 12:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Thanks for the info. BTW, how much padding do you use when you spar with the Smak-Stiks? Reason I ask is I was considering bringing a pair to the next TD (folks seem to like it when I bring toys) but didn't want anyone to get hurt.

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some video of me sparring on the site with no gear using smak stiks(i'm going pretty light). I'd probably put on some goggles and/or close-faced headgear if you're going to hit a bit harder and people are worried about bleeding or their eyes. Some people are also kinda weird about the hits to the hand at first, so maybe MMA gloves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. I'll check it out. Is that this site you're talking about?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 4:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: whatever works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know this sounds newbish but. how the staight punch in FMA compare to boxing and karate because i've heard it is like boxing but i have never seen it

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by btbl
    i know this sounds newbish but. how the staight punch in FMA compare to boxing and karate because i've heard it is like boxing but i have never seen it
    I mentioned thrust punching earlier in rference to Wing Tzun, and how in that system it evolves into stabbing thrusts. In FMA you do not generally see a vertical thrust punch, but more arc based attacks like in boxing. So this is where the issue started in this thread and caused some confusion.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789