Style
    Kickboxing, BJJ, exTKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Greetings and a question

Hi there!
    Greetings im a 16 year old boy from Trondheim ( a small town in the far away country of Norway if anybody cares)

I can`t remember when i started TKD(ITF), and i have been doing it for some time.
    Actually this website is guilty for me deciding to do MMA, i came over this site searching on youtube looking for TKD videos, found your TKD sucks video saw it and laughed.
    Followed to this site lurked for a while and i had kinda a revelation.
    I the visited the homepage for my local MMA center, but its a 18 age limit so i cant start before 2 years.
    They recommended me to train some MT,Boxing,BJJ, JJ or Judo ot something to be prepared to the day i can sign up.
    There is no muay thai center in my town (quite honestly its Norway i was surprised we even had a MMA center) So i signed up for kickboxing instead.
    We train in the same building as the BJJ practioners, and we are offered free lessons by one of their instructors on weekends.(im always there)
    I thought about starting BJJ to on a more regular basis, but my education comes first.
    In my kickboxing center its not allowed to do leg kicks, is that a bad thing?

Im signing up here because i like martial arts, im a big fan of K-1, and looking forward to gain interest in the world of MMA to.

Ive read the rules and tried to search but i didnt quite find my question so i am just asking, hoping somebody will take the time to answer.

I still havent quit TKD, but i go sparring Kickboxing style. The question is: is TKD damaging my style?
    Because now im just doing it to try to stay in shape, but if Katas and the likes of it, are gonna make it harder for me to develop a good efficent sparring style then i fully willing to quit.

I will also ask you to please look with mercy upon my spelling since English really isnt my primary language.

I hope i will enjoy my stay and wish you all a jolly good future!

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, MoccaMastah. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style! staff
    Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, if you like tkd and you're allowed to spar heavy contact there's no reason you can't stay with it. Kata is fine as long as you aren't looking for any practical application. As for the no leg kicks, it'd be preferable to have a program that teaches them, but it's not a big deal. You can add those to your repertoire easily enough.

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by MoccaMastah
    We train in the same building as the BJJ practioners, and we are offered free lessons by one of their instructors on weekends.(im always there)
    I thought about starting BJJ to on a more regular basis, but my education comes first.
    Free BJJ is one hell of an offer - normally thats one of the more expensive styles around: for example, I pay 90 a month (994 kr). So when you say start on a more regular basis, do you mean in addition to free lessons you're already getting, which you'd then have to pay for, or that you're still thinking about taking those free lessons? I'm assuming the former, as you said 'I'm always there'.

I still havent quit TKD, but i go sparring Kickboxing style. The question is: is TKD damaging my style?

Because now im just doing it to try to stay in shape, but if Katas and the likes of it, are gonna make it harder for me to develop a good efficent sparring style then i fully willing to quit.
    If you're only there to stay in shape, rather than because you enjoy some element of TKD you don't get from the kickboxing, then you may as well use that time for something more useful regarding your eventual goal of training MMA. My recommendation would be the BJJ mentioned earlier, if its a time consideration (as you said, your education should definitely come first), or if its a financial issue, then dedicating yourself to kickboxing until you can start training MMA would probably suit your purposes.

I will also ask you to please look with mercy upon my spelling since English really isnt my primary language.
    Its infinitely better than most Bullshido posters' Norwegian (although we do have a few other Norwegians about), so I wouldn't worry on that score. :icon_wink

Style
    Kickboxing, BJJ, exTKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slideyfoot
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Free BJJ is one hell of an offer - normally thats one of the more expensive styles around: for example, I pay 90 a month (994 kr). So when you say start on a more regular basis, do you mean in addition to free lessons you're already getting, which you'd then have to pay for, or that you're still thinking about taking those free lessons? I'm assuming the former, as you said 'I'm always there'.
    Yes it`s an incredible good offer. They train in our building, and give us free Training sometimes in the weekends.
    We also have Krav maga, kali shikaran and some other stuff in the same center.

And for doing it on a regular basis i was thinking of starting begginers class or something paying but still going to the optional trainings( we have a lot of those both for BJJ and Kickboxing). Surprisingly only a few Kickboxers show up on the BJJ lessons, Normally just me some and a few more.

Thanks for the welcome by the way:D
    Last edited by MoccaMastah; 10/07/2007 7:27pm at .