Opinions on two wraps per hand (short ones)
I picked up some wraps a couple of weeks ago, getting back into training and remembering swollen knuckles and such from before when I didn't use them. Naturally the only ones I could find were those Everlast 108" wraps. One of them is totally inadequate for my size hands (pretty normal adult male) but as I bought two packs, I started experimenting with double wrapping. I'd like some feedback on this, even if it's "Noob, buy some real wraps."
My method (still experimenting, left hand perspective since it's easier for me to do that and type):
- Loop around thumb, crossing the back of the hand
- Wrap the wrist once completely, continue to the thumb side
- Wrap up around the inside of the thumb, wrap around thumb, cross back over the wrist (right to left), continue around bottom of wrist
- Repeat thumb wrap and wrist cross
- Cross up over the back of the hand to the pinky knuckle, continue across palm side of knuckles
- Cross over the knuckles, double back (ribboning) to the index knuckle, back to pinky, back to index, back to pinky
- Continue around the palm side of the knuckles, and around the top side, wrapping the ribbon layers, twice.
- Continue around the palm side, cross the back of the hand back to the wrist
- Wrap the rest around the wrist and fasten. Now I have a wrapped wrist, double wrapped thumb, and wrapped knuckles with 4 extra layers on the top from ribboning
The end result looks and feels pretty tight, with enough flexibility as long as I extend the fingers during the wrapping and clench a few times during, with a decent knuckle pad and good stability. But there's a lot around the wrist. Is it possible to have too much wrap around the wrist?
- Loop around the thumb outside the thumb wraps, crossing the back of the hand
- Cross the underside of the wrist, then bring the wrap up the back of the hand, between the pinky and ring fingers.
- Cross the palm down to the right side of the wrist. Wrap once completely around the wrist.
- Repeat the previous two steos for the ring/middle and middle/index finger gaps.
- Cross up across the back of the hand to the pinky knuckle.
- Wrap around the palm side of the knuckles, then the knuckle side.
- From the pinky knuckle, cross the palm down the the right side of the wrist.
- Wrap the rest around the wrist and fasten.