Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:41am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, a lot of good points especially where I screwed up. I could easily have been boxed in and/or shot. The guy chased me and at the time I just did not want to go on a chase.

When in the parking lot I wasn't mean mugging, I just stood by my car looking dumb waiting for the H2 driver to take some action. Eventually he just pulled up, stated "Do you know who the **** you are dealing with? ". I said no, explained in a calm rational voice what he did wrong at the offramp. I got no more than a few words out when he started again with "Next time, know who the **** you are dealing with before you run your mouth", repeated that a few times and then drove off.

I was an idiot there because I actually called after him with "Sir!" as a polite greeting trying to get my point across instead of just letting him go. It didn't make a difference, he was gone.

Best detail of the whole encounter: his license plate was NY - IMURDADDY. Driving home I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if I answered his rhetorical question with "Papa?!".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:42am

Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bad move man, if you have a family or obligations, or work, don't risk it over a silly issue such as a bad traffic pattern. We risk enough already training in what we do, no reason to further that risk.

If I it was me, I'd walk away, call me a punk, call me a coward, but I'd be the one who won't be going to jail, getting fired from work, or possibly being killed by that idiot.

Put things in perspective, would it be worth it to lose everything over a non-threatening situation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:45am

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    During all this BS by my car I realized that I was nervous, anxious, uncertain. As someone who is supposedly training for combat arts, isn't this the worst possible reaction? Does it indicate that you don't have what it takes?
    No, it indicates that you haven't done this same thing a hundred times before, and realise that bad things could happen. In response your body has started to produce adrenalin, which is what is makes you feel nervous, anxious and uncertain.

The problem you have is that you're waiting for something potentially bad to happen and can't use the adrenalin, unless he does something or you run. This makes you uncomfortable. Itís very hard to stand there and remain calm. Breathing exercises can work, as can certain mindtricks. Adrenalin is on balance a good thing, however, evolution does a good job.

:viking:

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best detail of the whole encounter: his license plate was NY - IMURDADDY.
    OMG you pissed off Tom Kagan?!!???!!!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:50am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Do you know who you're dealing with?"

"an idiot who can't spot a five-pound handgun under a fishing vest?"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight only when you must. In this case, you didn't have to. You were being taunted by some rich prick in a Hummer ... a vehicle named after what he probably gave his boyfriend last night!

Avoid road rage at all costs and here's why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Gong
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:37am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best detail of the whole encounter: his license plate was NY - IMURDADDY. Driving home I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if I answered his rhetorical question with "Papa?!".
    You handled the situation like I would have...thinking of some clever remark way after the guy left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:51am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would continue on about my business, keeping a close eye on him and make sure I kept a row of cars between us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:54am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that the finger was a mistake. After that point however I just rolled with his actions. I hung back by the car because a) I needed to do my errands in the minimall and b) wanted to make certain that the car wasn't vandalized.

During all this BS by my car I realized that I was nervous, anxious, uncertain. As someone who is supposedly training for combat arts, isn't this the worst possible reaction? Does it indicate that you don't have what it takes?
    Not at all. It's much more a matter of how you deal with those emotions rather than whether, or not you experience them.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 12:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To echo what everyone else has said - it's better to be cool. Road rage is dumb. There's so much important **** to worry about without getting riled up about how some turd is driving.

As far as your reaction goes, anyone can get scared. But I think the more you train, the less likely it is in a situation like that. In my experience, good solid training also makes you much more likely to walk away from a fight. Looking back, the times in my life when I was most aggressive were the times in my life when I wasn't training. A lot of times people fight because it will hurt their pride if they don't. They'll feel like a coward if they don't. But when you're 95% sure you can stomp a guy, it's a lot easier to walk away if he doesn't actually attack you. Why bother beating the crap out of him? It'll be like beating up your little brother.

I had a similar situation a few years back. I was at a mall and a guy didn't like my driving. He approached me as I was getting out of my car with my wife and started running his mouth from about 5 feet away. I looked him in the eye and very calmly said, "Buddy, you better get out of my face." When he saw that I wasn't afraid of him his voice started trembling a little and his tone changed. I walked away from him and went in the mall.

Here's my point - when he walked up I immediately wanted to nail him, but that would've been the wrong thing to do. As I was walking off, I saw a cop sitting in his car about 40 feet away. He was watching us. Also, about two years later my wife and I were in the same mall. She was pregnant and slipped and fell on a spilled drink and ruined her clothes. We went to the security office to file a report and there were about a zillion cameras recording every inch of that place, including the parking lot. If I had knocked that dude out, I would've been so screwed.

Anyway, be cool and only fight if it's absolutely necessary.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast