Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:14am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Road Rage

I was backed into a certain scenario last night and I am hoping for some honest feedback on people's reactions to the same situation.

Last night on my drive home in my Corolla I was waiting on a one lane exit ramp to make a right hand turn. A H2 Hummer pulls up on the shoulder on my right and cuts me off. I flip him off and keep driving. I realize I need to run an errand, pull a U turn and drive past the same H2. The hummer then follows me to a stop light, pulls up next to me, and starts asking through my window if I have something to say. I respond that he is driving like a dick and cut me off. I then turn into a minimall and he follows me, turning from the middle lane into the parking lot, cutting off the left lane.

In the parking lot of a supermarket I get out, lock my car, and stand beside it while he stays about 20 feet back still in his H2. Here lies my question: as one who trains for a fight and conflict, how would you feel in this situation? How would you react? I want to hear some opinions before I relate how I handled the situation. Please put the internet machismo aside for this response.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:27am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have gotten back in my car and left.
    “He who runs away lives to fight another day”.

The thing about fighting is even if you win, you still loose. You can win the fight but still have a black eye, fat lip, or god forbid a stab or gunshot wound. That is the reality of fighting. I work for a living and have a family to support. I can’t afford to run around like a teenager and get into fights, get hurt, and potentially spend the night in jail.

In my opinion you handled the situation wrong from the very beginning by giving him the finger. You should have ignored him and went about your business.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are far too many people who are willing to hurt you, either by stupidity or malicious intent, to get involved with this type of drama. If he was hanging back in his Megapenis H2, he was either;

A) waiting to see if you would go after him,

B) going to vandaklise your car if you left,

C) going to run you over,

D) None of the above.

The problem is that you never know the answer to this question in advance. If you approach the car, he could produce a weapon.

There are too many variables to consider.

I would have gotten back into my car, and driven away.

If he followed, I would call the cops on a cell phone, or drive to the police station.

Why waste your time/life with idiots.

[edit]

Seconded on the finger being the wrong move.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    Here lies my question: as one who trains for a fight and conflict, how would you feel in this situation? How would you react?
    I would feel exactly the same way as if I hadn't been training for years. Just because you have the skills to handle yourself doen't mean the fear goes away.

Or the feeling that you were a coward for not standing your ground...

The problem is that in those kind of situations it is rarely worth the risk of fighting to protect your pride. Putting aside all the problems of being hurt, the legal implications are massive..

I would have walked away personally...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:57am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that the finger was a mistake. After that point however I just rolled with his actions. I hung back by the car because a) I needed to do my errands in the minimall and b) wanted to make certain that the car wasn't vandalized.

During all this BS by my car I realized that I was nervous, anxious, uncertain. As someone who is supposedly training for combat arts, isn't this the worst possible reaction? Does it indicate that you don't have what it takes?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have driven to the parking lot of a Chinese Masonic Lodge, where your BJJ is known to be 100% effective...

But, more seriously:

1] You gave the guy too many and too easy opportunities to mess with you.
    2] Flipping someone off isn't the way to register your displeasure with someone's driving.
    Report his ass for dangerous driving. Not the manly, macho thing to do, but safe and sensible.

I'll be interested to hear how you handled this.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that the finger was a mistake. After that point however I just rolled with his actions. I hung back by the car because a) I needed to do my errands in the minimall and b) wanted to make certain that the car wasn't vandalized.

During all this BS by my car I realized that I was nervous, anxious, uncertain. As someone who is supposedly training for combat arts, isn't this the worst possible reaction? Does it indicate that you don't have what it takes?
    You didn't piss yourself did you?

The first time you can face a situation like this and not be afraid of the possibilities, is the day you should see a psychiatrist.

Being afraid of possibly violent encounters, that are both unknown and beyond your control, is absoloutly normal.

You don't know **** about this guy, his motivations, state of preparedness, or intentions.

You should be scared.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How many half-trained braggarts have been whupped, stabbed, shot or killed because they weren't scared, because they thought that MA = bullet-proof invulnerability?

Quote Originally Posted by FFF
    You don't know **** about this guy, his motivations, state of preparedness, or intentions.

You should be scared
    I wouldn't have gone quite as Phil Elmore there, dude, but I agree.

That special kind of alertness that a healthy dose of fear brings.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    I wouldn't have gone quite as Phil Elmore there, dude, but I agree.

That special kind of alertness that a healthy dose of fear brings.
    Sorry,

gotta lay off the RBSD threads.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honest feedback?

1. It's stupid to flip people off in traffic. No one in the history of the human race has ever changed his driving habits because somebody flipped him off or called him a name. Never happened, never will, so what was the purpose of what you did? It was to make you feel better, but involving others to make you feel better gets you into trouble sometimes. What will HE do to you make HIM feel better?

2. You helped him escalate the situation at the light. Rolling up the windows and driving away would probably have worked (but it's not guaranteed.)

3. You were inside a large, heavy object that could accelerate to high speeds. You got out of it when you felt threatened. That's a bad idea unless you think someone is targeting the vehicle instead of you.

4. If you pulled your car into the kind of parking space available in most crowded mall parking lots, you were probably begging to be boxed in by this guy's land-yacht. Not good.

5. While you were standing by your car mean-mugging this guy, with your car locked, what was your plan if he'd stopped yelling at you and simply shot you from twenty feet away?

Now, with all that said, you did some good things. You didn't escalate it beyond a limited verbal confrontation, and you probably could have, in the parking lot. You didn't approach his vehicle, for instance, or challenge him to fight, or come out of your car with a weapon visible. These are all things people do, believe it or not, and they are all stupid, and you didn't do any of them. So be happy for a minute.

Then, reflect upon the truth that the world is full of assholes and this guy was only one asshole. How will you confront the multitudes of assholes who await you throughout the rest of your years? Not like this, right?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast