Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 7:04am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need some questions answered and help with workout

Hey all, I must admit from the start I don't know much about weights. Yeah I've been to the gym plenty of times and done lots weights, but I have no idea how to use weights to the greatest advantage.
    So, to give background, I am primarily from a grappling background - judo and jujutsu, a little bjj here and there. I intend to start some boxing on the side as an addition but I am a grappler at heart. I don't need a lightning fast jab, I need strength and power in an even mix. I generally have 2 days a week for a really decent gym workout, and maybe 1 (and that's a big maybe) day for a quickie.
    So the question is, what exercises do I do? How much weight do I use? How many reps? In what manner do I actually lift the weight (with speed and power, or slow and controlled)?

Since I have started training almost 8 years ago, I have always just done push ups, sit ups and chin ups. So can you guys tell me what weights will/can do for me that these exercises can't?

Thanks alot for any replies, they are much appreciated.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Far better than us giving you advice is for me to point you at the book "Starting Strength". It's so fantastically worth the $25.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 7:11am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One Name - Ross Enamait

Two Words - Infinite Intensity

This is a great article too:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

www.rosstraining.com

I much prefer this method of training than something like a bill starr 5x5 programme etc as it doesn't rinse me out for my sport specific training, which is a lot more important.
    Last edited by spirez; 10/05/2007 7:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 8:58am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaarashi
    So, to give background, I am primarily from a grappling background - judo and jujutsu, a little bjj here and there. I intend to start some boxing on the side as an addition but I am a grappler at heart. I don't need a lightning fast jab, I need strength and power in an even mix.
    Gotta be careful. When people talk about strength and power in striking they usually mean striking with a big impact on the target.

You get that by using your legs to drive your weight into/behind the strike or by using your legs to rotate the body into a strike. Its more a body mechanics thing than a having a 500lbs deadlift thing.

So, although you don't need a lighting fast jab, the faster you can get the body moving behind your jab (or any other strike) the bigger the impact.

That said, build strong legs. IMO (and I'm only speaking from MY experience) it doesn't matter how you build strength in your legs - freeweights, machines, bodyweight, running whatever.

I've also read you want strong abs too. Although I'm not sure why, I'll bet its to aid in the twisting of the body.

In addition, the more weight you can throw behind the strike the better. So get big, and it doesn't necessarily matter how. Gaining muscle is obviously better for the body than gaining fat. But, IMNSHO, lifting to get big is NOT the most important requirement of having high impact strikes - proper body mechanics is number 1, strong legs and abs are number 2.

Since I have started training almost 8 years ago, I have always just done push ups, sit ups and chin ups. So can you guys tell me what weights will/can do for me that these exercises can't?
    They won't work your legs and you won't gain size. Like I said, size is no big deal.

So the question is, what exercises do I do? How much weight do I use? How many reps? In what manner do I actually lift the weight (with speed and power, or slow and controlled)?
    Keep doing the pushups, sit ups and chins.

Add anything that works the quads, hams and calves. You can do exercises that work them individually or as a unit.

I like burpees or squat and jump - personal preference.

Weight doesn't matter as long as you increase. That's something I don't do enough of and I'm trying to correct. In addition, periodically change your strength routine so the body doesn't adapt to it.

I've heard all kinds of things about how to life - fast or slow. I really don't think it matters. If you are worried about getting slow, then stretch - you should be stretching already anyway.

FWIW, I've lifted both ways - fast and slow - and not noticed any difference in my speed either way.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ???

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Far better than us giving you advice is for me to point you at the book "Starting Strength". It's so fantastically worth the $25.
    LOL, I like this book already from the sample:

http://www.startingstrength.com/files/sample16.pdf

Ross Training is always a good choice too, the guy is a conditioning animal, I am starting to incorporate some of his work outs into my own and it is amazing how something that looks simple can be so hard. http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

PirateJon's suggestion is awesome to get in the gym and nail off some good, simple functional power movement (not little tiny body building movements) squats, dead lifts and olympic style lifts, these are the lifts that help build strength and power. Just make sure you are doing them right, there are guys at my gym that squat 4 plates for 2 inches and this is doing nothing, you need a full range of motion and you need to be safe, you can hurt yourself seriously if you are not careful, technique first, weight second.

If time or money is an issue check out Rosstraining for cheap alternatives such as sandbags or http://www.straighttothebar.com/2007...ng_part_i.html

Work your core, this is the centre of power, I include glutes and hips in here to as a lot of power is generated through here. Plus is, the exercises above all work core muscles as well so it is win win.

If time is an issue, you could always check out www.ironmind.com and work on some grip strength, as a grappler you can never have enough, and I am betting it is not as strong as you think it is (sorry this is just a general statement not knowing you), I thought I had a decent grip until I tried a buddies of mine CoC #2 & #3 grippers and ever since have incorporated grip strength training into my routine. This site is fantastic for ideas: http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm

These are just a few ideas of the thousands that are out there, find what works for you.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 5:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow all those replies, and especially the links are great and have already helped alot. The ROSS page cleared up quite a few things for me and I can now really sit down and get a good program going. kutt3r, my grip strength ain't great right now, since I only train judo once a week (but adding a randori class next week onwards) but then again I have never been happy with my grip strength since I stopped training 5 days a week.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easiest thing to do to strenghten your grip (if you have dumbbells at home) is to use pool noodles and implement a thickbar like this...

and ropes... like this...

A while ago I built 2" thickbar using metal pipes, a 30lbs pair and a 80lbs pair. I'm in love with this approach:

You can re-develop your grip very quickly just by trying to lift that 2" thick 80-pounder off the floor.

Also, we have some links on grip conditioning here (don't post in the thread, just in the links referenced by it) :

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53289

My only word of caution, and I'm talking out of experience, is this. If you suffer from arthritis or epicondylitis (tendonitis) in the elbows or forearms, go slow. Don't overtrain the grip. It will cripple you if you do.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/05/2007 6:11pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 6:30pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kettlebells can be great for grip too, check out the Turkish get-up thread on this page. You really have to work the grip to keep the bottom of the KB facing up. There are loads of other bottom up exercises to do with them too ie clean & press, snatch etc.

Bottom up press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypgQlBfSrpk