Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 9:31pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

building mass for 2-3months without martial arts???

hi i am planning to take 2-3months off martial arts after the king of sanda series to build some mass and let my head take some time off some pounding.. but someone told me i am going to have to re do cardio work if just lift weights for more than a month

any advice???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 9:59pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepwrz
    hi i am planning to take 2-3months off martial arts after the king of sanda series to build some mass and let my head take some time off some pounding.. but someone told me i am going to have to re do cardio work if just lift weights for more than a month

any advice???
    Yes, re-write this sentence so it makes sense.

So you're worried about losing cardio if you do weights? you want to gain mass (as you wrote in your subject line for the email)? you want to gain some mass but NOT lose cardio?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 2:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just cut out any extra cardio besides MA? Lift, eat, sleep, train MA, sounds good to me.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, is he still doing all that extra cardio on top of MA and lifting? My props to him for doign that (the powah of youth), but goddamit!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the thing is i dont know why but if i add any martial arts or quite a bit of cardio into my weight training i cant gain mass i want to know if stopping martial arts and cardio and just lifting weights is a good idea

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not going to get freaky ripped gunz in 2 months dude.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepwrz
    the thing is i dont know why but if i add any martial arts or quite a bit of cardio into my weight training i cant gain mass i want to know if stopping martial arts and cardio and just lifting weights is a good idea
    It is a good idea if you want to stop martial arts, but I believe that's not the case. You've been doing cardio and MA for a while, you are a machine, man. If you want to bulk up, then cut the cardio - I'm sure you get enough of it when you train MA.

Having said that, you gotta do what you love to do. There will be no point in dropping cardio in favor of weight lifting if you love doing your cardio more than lifting. Also, assuming that you drop your cardio, 2 months aint' gonna do much (as PirateJon said.)

If you want to bulk, just drop the cardio, keep the MA, lift hard, and eat more than what you are eating now. And be prepare to stick to that regime for months, years. And you have to like it. No point in doing something that does not make you happy.

Two months to increase strenght, maybe. To bulk up noticeable (which I think it's what you want), and in two months, less likely. Gaining size while making sure you don't gas out when you fight, that's gonna take months. I'd put a year at a minimum.

Anyways, just go for it, drop the cardio, and stick to lifting, MA, sleeping, eating and pooping. See if how well it works. You have to do what you like, remember that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you are still growing, you are a kid right? So just cut the cardio, do your MA/lifting, and eat.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 8:18pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. I'm sorry, but i'm gonna yell now.

True: YOU'RE 17 DAMN YEARS OLD. You're still growing vertically, how much mass do you exptect to build right now?

And I saw you a the throwdown, you're starting to fill in, just be patient. But yeah, maybe take some time off of fighting after this next one.

And take LI guys suggestion.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dont know i have realized it that the more compact you are the harder you hit and i really seem like a walking stick i am trying to see if i can bulk up to 170 to see if that can help my punching power
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast