Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chan Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin Martial Art Centre - Johannesburg & Buccleuch, South Africa

Hi

I found these guys and have a suspicion they are teaching bunk
    http://www.shaolin.co.za

The head guy is Grand master Leo Sebregts who claims to teach a system called 'Leong Chung'

has anyone heard of this guy or the system he teaches?

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 2:43am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a suspicion I've seen these guys training at a camp last year, looked like bog standard traditional Kung-fu to me.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 4:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It always does. Unless you can prove that the teacher is lying about what he provides then i dont see a problem.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 9:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Leong Cheung Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Leo Sebregts is recongised and listed by the IKF http://www.internationalkungfu.com/C...ed_Masters.htm The shaolin martial arts centres are also officially affiliated with the ZHONGHUA Martial Art School in china.

The school teaches the The lin Wan Kuen Kung fu system a part of the Leong chung Family system. It also teaches Wing chun paired with the system and as correctly said above techniques from both northern and southern style Kung Fu and Traditional Wushu. Students have the option after 6 to 7 years in the system to Grade in china once a year.

If you'd googled the name you would have found much of the information. He also chairs or as a member of many of the national Wushu/Kungfu organisations in South Africa.He is listed in the world Martial arts hall of fame. a list of his memberships and the schoold national and international affiliations can be found on the site affiliations can be found on the site.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 9:30am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and I think that ends the discussion.... Maxui.... choke on foot?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/23/2007 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like performance wushu, which I don't consider Bullshido, unless you somehow think you're going to KO someone with butterfly kicks into the splits.
    I'd say it's probably pretty decent performance wushu, given their various medal holdings in the late 1990's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gac1
    Master Leo Sebregts is recongised and listed by the IKF http://www.internationalkungfu.com/C...ed_Masters.htm .
    I've had a look at that website and I'm not impressed.

It looks like a lot of frauds are on that list.

There are a couple of genuine masters there, but also a whole bunch of western guys that look like the usual frauds who appear on the World Head of Families Soke Crap. I bet most of those western guys have made up their own styles.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 1:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    I've had a look at that website and I'm not impressed.

It looks like a lot of frauds are on that list.

There are a couple of genuine masters there, but also a whole bunch of western guys that look like the usual frauds who appear on the World Head of Families Soke Crap. I bet most of those western guys have made up their own styles.
    I understand and have met many frauds out there but I give people a chance to condemn themselves. In terms of what is taught at the Shaolin Martial Arts Centres in South Africa and their constant efforts to take students to china to train at their sister school and the ongoing effort to raise funds and bring out Chinese Instructors to help improve the style of the students. I have to say nothing strikes me as fake about what is taught.

There is lots of politics in Martial arts in South Africa as it is with every tom dick and harry trying to prove the next as charlatan or fake most of it is wasted energy and meaningless. Shaolin Martial arts centre has often been pointed at as a potential fake simply because their founder happens to be born in Belgium the fact that he was taught his Kung Fu by asians seems to get missed along the way . The Kung Fu is Good and true, the training is tough and rewarding no one gets hurt the guys don't step into the ring nationally and internationally and get slaughtered. Therefore it's fine.

I am opposed to instructors who set themselves up as Instructors and the students get hurt because they have no clue what they're doing the students step into competition and get seriously hurt because they have false confidence and people get hurt in their day to day training because they have no idea how to even promote physical training properly.

The contention of this thread was is Shaolin Martial arts centre a fake I as someone who knows the organisation and their history have put forward that they are not no need for further discussion should you be housed in South Africa you are more then welcome to walk into any of the schools and discuss at length your fears and thoughts and they will be answered. PM me for contact information

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 2:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    It looks like performance wushu, which I don't consider Bullshido, unless you somehow think you're going to KO someone with butterfly kicks into the splits.
    I'd say it's probably pretty decent performance wushu, given their various medal holdings in the late 1990's.
    Traditional Wushu is A minor part of the system the forms are taught and Mainly for international competition. Other forms are Traditional northern and southern Kung Fu they fighting slyle is based more on traditonal basis with tyhe addition of wing Chun as well as traditional kung Fu Techniques . Members of the school compete locally in full contact Sanshou Competitions and hold their own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the posts.

I am not saying your school is fake ... just pointing out that the IKF website and others like it are not any sign of authenticity. In general, all these "Halls of Fame" and "Grandmaster Councils" are a hang-out spot for the frauds of the world. For example, anyone who is part of the World Head of Families Soke Council is regarded as suspicious.

If performance wushu is not the main focus, what styles of Northern and Southern Shaolin are taught?

Finally, don't let associations with China sway your judgement. These days, many of the biggest frauds are the Chinese themselves, who teach modern wushu and pass it off as genuine kung fu. Even the Shaolin Temple itself is nothing more than a huge commercial hoax with its fake monks who are just athletic coaches in disguise.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast