10/07/2007 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Are you fucking calling me Arrogant ?

:new_all_c

backfistmonkey is arrogant , but Mike is hella cool (ha ha ha )

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKD, BJJ White

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @seriousmantid
    why does the fact that it is close up translate as meaning grapplers are arrogant? really don't get the logic of that one

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:43pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    The closer you are to your opponent the more personal it becomes. The farther away you are from your opponent the more impersonal it becomes. If you just shoot and leave it is very impersonal easier to walk away from with no regrets. The closer you get to your opponent the more real he becomes not so easy to walk away thus becomming more personal.
    I don't mean this to be personal or anything, but if I understand what you're saying it sounds totally loony to me.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roscopeeco
    @seriousmantid
    why does the fact that it is close up translate as meaning grapplers are arrogant? really don't get the logic of that one
    If you bring a fight into a more personal level it brings feelings and also beliefs into play. When it becomes more personal it tends to bring out the I gotta prove something in someone thus causing arrogance. Not in everyone but the majority. Grant it the more advanced the grappeler the more hes just grappeling and the less attitude involved and the less arrogance, but not everyone is that experience. I also have to admit that in the gym you usually only meet those cool people, but those of us that don't go to grappeling schools/gyms usually don't get to see that side. Most of the time all some of us get to see of grappelers is on here their attitudes towards those who don't grappel and the few chance run ins at the bar with that guy that does submission grappeling. And that is about all some of us have to compare.
    Last edited by seriousmantid; 10/07/2007 4:55pm at .

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:56pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait is that an argument that grappling is inherently arrogant? When you're grappling, you're as close to your opponent as you can get. That does not make fighting more personal. Training is training, just because I am rolling with an opponent doesn't mean I want something to prove or that I want to hurt him.

Making a fight personal (emotional would be a better work) has nothing to do with the range at which you are engaging someone. I am sure that if the fight becomes emotional, the feelings would be there regardless of whether you are grappling or you are throwing a big heavy rock at someone from 15 feet away.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you bring a fight into a more personal level it brings feelings and also beliefs into play. When it becomes more personal it tends to bring out the I gotta prove something in someone thus causing arrogance. Not in everyone but the majority. Grant it the more advanced the grappeler the more hes just grappeling and the less attitude involved and the less arrogance, but not everyone is that experience. I also have to admit that in the gym you usually only meet those cool people, but those of us that don't go to grappeling schools/gyms usually don't get to see that side. Most of the time all some of us get to see of grappelers is on here their attitudes towards those who don't grappel and the few chance run ins at the bar with that guy that does submission grappeling. And that is about all some of us have to compare.
    If I'm reading this correctly it sounds a little bit like you're over-intellectuallizing fighting. Talking about different ranges and how that changes things. The only thing that changes with distance is the tool you use to cross it. Anybody who tells you that fighting isn't personal is kinda full of it. That ****'s personal no matter what "range" it takes place at. Shooting somebody is personal. Stabbing them is personal. Punching them in the face is personal. Choking them or breaking an arm is definetely personal.

Okay, maybe if you get to push a button and nuke a continent without ever having to see a single body or hear even one scream, that can take some of the sting out. But its still personal

Also, what's wrong with have a little bit of an ego? A healthy one I mean. A lot of PTMA (to use Phrost's acronym) have these weird bits of philosophy floating around in their heads from too many legends, myths and martial arts movies. Fighting is not religion and too often these things get confused. What the **** is wrong with being sure of yourself? You have to be to climb in a cage with another person, or risk getting bones broken and getting knocked out whenever you train. You have to believe in yourself. Or you want to have these things and you fight to earn them for yourself. Too often I've got some wet brained Mr. Miyagi type spewing some Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance bullshit at me about how its good to humble.

Yeah it is, but you can carry it too far and besides, a lot of the supposedly humble people I've met are so full of **** its astonishing that one human can spend that much time lying to itself.

I'm not gonna brainwash myself into thinking less of myself just because some twit told me to. Its not gonna happen. I've worked hard to attain my current level of mediocrity. I'm proud of that ****!:tongue3:
    Last edited by JP; 10/07/2007 5:21pm at . Reason: Cause I don't think too good all at once.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 5:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    If I'm reading this correctly it sounds a little bit like you're over-intellectuallizing fighting. Talking about different ranges and how that changes things. The only thing that changes with distance is the tool you use to cross it. Anybody who tells you that fighting isn't personal is kinda full of it. That ****'s personal no matter what "range" it takes place at. Shooting somebody is personal. Stabbing them is personal. Punching them in the face is personal. Choking them or breaking an arm is definetely personal.

Okay, maybe if you get to push a button and nuke a continent without ever having to see a single body or hear even one scream, that can take some of the sting out. But its still personal

Also, what's wrong with have a little bit of an ego? A healthy one I mean. A lot of PTMA (to use Phrost's acronym) have these weird bits of philosophy floating around in their heads from too many legends, myths and martial arts movies. Fighting is not religion and too often these things get confused. What the **** is wrong with being sure of yourself? You have to be to climb in a cage with another person, or risk getting bones broken and getting knocked out whenever you train. You have to believe in yourself. Or you want to have these things and you fight to earn them for yourself. Too often I've got some wet brained Mr. Miyagi type spewing some Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance bullshit at me about how its good to humble.

Yeah it is, but you can carry it too far and besides, a lot of the supposedly humble people I've met are so full of **** its astonishing that one human can spend that much time lying to itself.

I'm not gonna brainwash myself into thinking less of myself just because some twit told me to. Its not gonna happen. I've worked hard to attain my current level of mediocrity. I'm proud of that ****!:tongue3:
    Never once did I claim that arrogance is wrong maybe you should re read my posts to further understand what I was getting at. Or better yet take a psychology class at your local college. Im sure they could probably explain what I am trying to say a little better than I obviously am.

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 5:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never once did I claim that arrogance is wrong maybe you should re read my posts to further understand what I was getting at. Or better yet take a psychology class at your local college. Im sure they could probably explain what I am trying to say a little better than I obviously am.

A pysch class? Just to understand fighting?

Look, I read your posts and understood them fine. My disagreement with you is not due to lack of understanding. Don't fall back on claiming you didn't explain it right, you did just fine. I understood your ideas, I just think you're making a very simple thing more complicated.

But I wasn't directing the arrogance is wrong stuff at you. Don't personalize the whole thing as it was not intended to be. It was a general rant, perhaps I should have specified that. Traditional martial arts absolutely breed these humbler than thou attitudes. Its funny but the most memorable arrogance I've encountered in the martial arts was from Aikido guys. They generally come off as a bunch of dicks, particularly when it comes to their stuff vs the so-called "combat arts" that are so violent. Its stupid not to mention patently wrong.
    and listen to others,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 6:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading this thread, my opinion is that 8 step preying mantis makes you arrogant

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 7:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artard
    After reading this thread, my opinion is that 8 step preying mantis makes you arrogant

I find your arrogance staggering.
    and listen to others,

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast