Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 1:39pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say I have seen a lot LESS arrogance from the students and instructors at my BJJ school than I have from other Martial artists - excluding myself. It's quite a feeling when the instructor shakes your hand and thanks you for coming to each class and says "hey, what's up?" when he sees you, and the other students do the same. It's hard to get too big an ego in BJJ because anytime you like you can roll with someone who will fold you in half.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 1:53pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing more humbling than a good asskicking, and asskickings are easy to come by at a BJJ class.

I also like the camarederie and friendly ****-talk that comes by with being in a "sport" martial art.

In one Mcdojo I trained Aikido, we were all ubermensch trained in the deadliest techniques of the martial arts. But they were only to be used in the name of peace and self-cultivation.

There were lots of egos at that class. Basically if you were not a black belt, you were dirt, and not worthy of interacting with unless you were being used as a punching bag.

At BJJ and Judo, I can talk videogames and joke around with anyone. And if the person is better than I am, they are not dicks about it.
    Last edited by Munacra; 10/07/2007 2:01pm at .

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 3:04pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Math lesson for today:

Internet + Anything = Arrogant Assholes.

As a resident kung-fu'er, I do have to say that I love going to train with BJJ/sub-W/MMA guys. Many of the ones I have met approach their training like an evangelist: they want to show you how worthwhile it is. In rolling or visiting gyms, I have met very, VERY few arrogant bastards, especially among blues/purples. Contrast this to the TUF n00bs I know who have NEVER TRAINED A FUCKING DAY IN THEIR LIVES BUT THINK THEY ARE CHUCK LIDDELL.

Show up to an MMA club and you're much more likely to be greeted with "Let me show you how awesome this training is" instead of "I can kick your ass."

Show up to many dojos and you're much more likely to be greeted with "Well, I COULD just do this and your head would explode if you were to grab me like those UFC fags!*"

You'd never know this if you only interacted with people on the internet, where MMA does now come off as the most arrogant.

Dagon

*paraphrased out of my old goju dojo in Anderson Indianna.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Munacra
    There's nothing more humbling than a good asskicking, and asskickings are easy to come by at a BJJ class.

I also like the camarederie and friendly ****-talk that comes by with being in a "sport" martial art.

In one Mcdojo I trained Aikido, we were all ubermensch trained in the deadliest techniques of the martial arts. But they were only to be used in the name of peace and self-cultivation.

There were lots of egos at that class. Basically if you were not a black belt, you were dirt, and not worthy of interacting with unless you were being used as a punching bag.

At BJJ and Judo, I can talk videogames and joke around with anyone. And if the person is better than I am, they are not dicks about it.

The mantis class I go to is much the same way no ego's everyone is cool. I have found that alot of BJJ and submission grappelers tend to not have any respect for those that may not grapple. Grappeling is all good except when there are multiple opponents. Who cares about that anyways Im just saying I have got more attitude from those that grapple than those that don't.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 3:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Math lesson for today:

You'd never know this if you only interacted with people on the internet, where MMA does now come off as the most arrogant.

Dagon

*paraphrased out of my old goju dojo in Anderson Indianna.
    You do have a point most people I've met that do go to the gym are usually really cool It is the new guys and those self trained grappeling types that have struck me as arrogant. Although 70% on the net have been arrogant. "grappeling is the foundation you need carlos" D-D-D. I say any art can have good and bad members and alot of the time it's the individuals that are the most competitive that give the most attitude. Also maybe the grappelers are more arrogant because the things they practice bring you into a more personal range than that of standup thus causing some to seem more arrogant.
    Last edited by seriousmantid; 10/07/2007 4:00pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 3:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    The mantis class I go to is much the same way no ego's everyone is cool. I have found that alot of BJJ and submission grappelers tend to not have any respect for those that may not grapple. Grappeling is all good except when there are multiple opponents. Who cares about that anyways Im just saying I have got more attitude from those that grapple than those that don't.
    I find this pretty arrogant sounding.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 3:59pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Math lesson for today:

Absolutely right, when you are anonyms you can say whatever you want because the worst thing that can happen is you get told off by people you don't know and probably will never meet and through text that you don't even have to read, or get some bad varrots

There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind to people, that way someone can tell you "ok you have a point but this this and this, you don't know what your talking about" and you can say "oh ok, so that’s the way it is, glad I told you" It's just that alot of people who criticize on forums don't have the balls to speak their mind in real life
    Last edited by Partezan; 10/07/2007 4:03pm at .

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:14pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Partezan
    It's just that alot of people who criticize on forums don't have the balls to speak their mind in real life
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. The fact is, you can't actually "touch hands" or "roll" or buy a beer or watch a movie or spar or train together over the internet. The "kung fu saying" I hear the most at my school is "Let the hands do the talking." Well, over the interwebs that just isn't possible.

I think when "speaking your mind in real life" it's just that there is a completely different etiquette. I don't think it's people "not having balls".

Dagon

P.S. I'm convinced that if I met the posters I don't like on this board, I'd get along with 90% of them in person.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I find this pretty arrogant sounding.
    Not meaning to sound arrogant. Let me explain if I can:

The closer you are to your opponent the more personal it becomes. The farther away you are from your opponent the more impersonal it becomes. If you just shoot and leave it is very impersonal easier to walk away from with no regrets. The closer you get to your opponent the more real he becomes not so easy to walk away thus becomming more personal. The more personal it becomes the more attitude comes into play. So it is only natural for grappelers to be more arrogant and have more attitude because their art is more aggressive due to the close range of combat they practice. Face it grappeling is the closest range of combat you can study you havce to get up close and personal with your opponent, and with that close of combat you need arrogance. So I can see to a point why grappelers look at non-grappelers the way they do.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you fucking calling me Arrogant ?

:new_all_c
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast