Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 10:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, see it all the time, heard it all the time at my old studio. But let's face it, mma/bjj does tend to attract "born again" MAers who have been through all the bull and mystic junk...

Of course, I've also noticed we don't call them "arrogant" as much as we tend to call them "deluded"...

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 10:03am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangrelchilde
    I know, see it all the time, heard it all the time at my old studio. But let's face it, mma/bjj does tend to attract "born again" MAers who have been through all the bull and mystic junk...

Of course, I've also noticed we don't call them "arrogant" as much as we tend to call them "deluded"...
    TMA attracted the same people. It always looks like the bigger art is the most arrogant.

TMA did the same thing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it arrogance...or are we just that damn good?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 11:34am

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Is it arrogance...or are we just that damn good?
    It's okay to be damn good, it's more a matter of how you project it. There are arrogant, pompous asses in every MA style, good or otherwise. The "if you don't do it the way we do it, then it's unrealistic and you suck" crowd. It certainly isn't owned by TMA, or MMA.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good Post, JC....good food for thought.

I figure, with any style, usually the people who are most arrogant are the ones who aren't so great at their game, so they have to compensate for that with trash talk.

I find most good fighters worth their salt, regardless of style, don't have to brag about how good they are because, if taken to task, they'll let their fists (and feet, and elbows, and knees, etc) do the talking for them.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 12:59pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    god youre a fucking homo melon
    Screw you, not everyone feels the need to validate themselves over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having formerly trained in a TMA and now training in BJJ I can honestly say that the TMA school had far greater egos than I could ever possibly imagine. I believe that this is in large part due to the fact that in BJJ there is such a large level of competition and live training that everyone's ego gets checked. You will get smoked at some point. The less live the training, the less likely that you will have your skills proven inadequate. Frankly, this is one of the reasons that I started BJJ. I was beginning to get a bit of an ego myself. I decided to up my badassedness by cross training in BJJ, figuring it would take me one step closer to being the world's most efficient killing machine. I went to my first class, got my ass handed to me, strapped on a white belt and never looked back at TMAs.

All of my BJJ instructors have had every right to be cocky pricks because they have all been awesome, but they have all been some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:28pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People don't like being proven wrong. They like being told they're wrong even less.

The problem is that the people, for whom it's easier to live in denial than own up to fault, probably are the same way about a lot of other things in their life and should probably have their breeding license pulled for the benefit of humanity.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a fun game: Say these two statements to one of your TMA friends side-by-side and see how quickly accusations of "nutriding" and "arrogance" begin to fly.

"I think there's a lot of silly, unrealistic training methods in martial arts."
    (TMA friend nods vigorously, tells you how right you are and that 99% of martial arts are ****)
    "I think your school is no better."
    (TMA friend accuses you of being an arrogant nutrider and that BJJ **** isn't so hot anyway)
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:43pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never trained at a TMA school or anything like that, so I don't have a reference for comparison.

I will say that I have trained with some arrogant MMA fighters, and people who get pissed off if they have to train with someone who hasn't been fighting for years(and is . And of course there are some who you can't have a normal conversation with about MA's (because they are so much better and knowledgable, have a BJJ belt, fight record, etc)... Some guys who I know that fight are the coolest people you could ever meet or train with, but some run the range from unfriendly to arrogant douchebags. Thus, I think arrogance has more do with the individual's personality than anything MA related.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast