Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 12:01pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As to arrogance , no way TMA's have any less arrogance than MMA.

DIfferent kinds of arrogant present in both.
    Examples might be(only possible examples)
    TMA -Arrogance due to history of the art . Its been done that way for years so it must be right.

MMA- Arrogance based on how good a fighter they are.

The problem is older martial arts contain moves that were developed for specific sets of circumstances that are either no longer present today or are speculated about. Examples include the idea that the Karates solid stances and board breaking punches were developed to counter jitsu throws and Samurai armor. True or False who can say completely?

The problem with some MMA is that it is a very personal style you develop that might not be as effective for someone else. That said at least they do advocate trying things for yourselves and making your own choice about what works for you.

Personally I still think there is a place for some more traditional arts as a base from which to expand to other systems. Having a stable base gives you a good grounding in the basics of fighting, discipline, attitude, balance, focus, breathing, movement. Not that you can't get this from MMA but if you are teaching a younger person these arts can help someone ease into it without having to dive in head first.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboulton
    As to arrogance , no way TMA's have any less arrogance than MMA.

DIfferent kinds of arrogant present in both.
    Examples might be(only possible examples)
    TMA -Arrogance due to history of the art . Its been done that way for years so it must be right.

MMA- Arrogance based on how good a fighter they are.

The problem is older martial arts contain moves that were developed for specific sets of circumstances that are either no longer present today or are speculated about. Examples include the idea that the Karates solid stances and board breaking punches were developed to counter jitsu throws and Samurai armor. True or False who can say completely?

The problem with some MMA is that it is a very personal style you develop that might not be as effective for someone else. That said at least they do advocate trying things for yourselves and making your own choice about what works for you.

Personally I still think there is a place for some more traditional arts as a base from which to expand to other systems. Having a stable base gives you a good grounding in the basics of fighting, discipline, attitude, balance, focus, breathing, movement. Not that you can't get this from MMA but if you are teaching a younger person these arts can help someone ease into it without having to dive in head first.
    Very interesting view point you have here.

:)

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know a single arrogant mma fighter personally. I've yet to meet someone who really fights in the ring, who gives off an air of superiority in any way other than joking, lighthearted stuff.

MMA introduced it's self to the mainstream through apparent mismatches that didn't always pan out the way one might have expected, not having seen mma before.

Seriously dangerous fighters who didn't know their ground game, but crushed others standing got owned. A lot of myths were dispelled, or at least called into question.

I don't think the Larp..er...tma community(the rap a tap tappy tap tag your dead variety) ever got over the wakeups. Anything less than full contact testing, at least some of the time breeds bad habits. I know, I've got a bunch. I believe it takes a punch in the face to unlearn those bad habits, otherwise it's just not pressing, ya know? That's how I unlearned some of mine (punched in the throat...chin tucked/ shin kicked in the nuts...narrower stance etc etc)

After that, many sport fighters in training, wanting to avoid sounding like Pat Smith at UFC2
    ("I've been working on leglocks, not like I should...I'm a pound him")
    and checked their egos at the door. Being badass at one thing, doesn't make someone mma ready. It's not arrogant to feel ready, it takes a lot of pain to get there, so don't **** with these people, and they won't feel the need to act out.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:37pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    I don't know a single arrogant mma fighter personally. I've yet to meet someone who really fights in the ring, who gives off an air of superiority in any way other than joking, lighthearted stuff.
    That's because anyone's that's had their ass beat at least once knows that they're not the **** and that dim mak, pressure point knockouts, and **** like that actually doesn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 1:39pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feeling ready is one thing, being arrogant because you study a certain style, whether it's the "10000 year old ancient secrets" or the "X MMA fighter does it, so I know I'm bad ass" arrogance is something else entirely. Like I said, you'll find arrogance anywhere you go.

Feeling ready for something just means you know that you've trained hard, with aliveness, and you can handle yourself in a situation. Doesn't mean I walk around saying I can kick your ass because I study X art, while you study Y.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right bushi, I'm saying mma fighters who actually do full contact, don't give off that arrogance, at least that I've encountered. I meet a lot of people, and the bad attitudes I see, are people who don't know what the **** they're doing/talking about. Often big guys, or at least tall, but not able to even deal with me getting mad, and I'm not enormous.(EDIT: I don't gong sau bad attitudes, but don't put up with **** ,and all these assholes reveal themselves as cowards against a real nut [me].)

At least in this city, mma is well represented by some soft spoken, level headed, humble human beings, who happen to be friggin madmen in the ring/cage. I think all but the most over-roid-raged get it out in training and fighting, and don't need to turn it on outside of that. Some of the wildest, loudest performers are very quiet in person, they're saving it up, in a sense.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    You're right bushi, I'm saying mma fighters who actually do full contact, don't give off that arrogance, at least that I've encountered. I meet a lot of people, and the bad attitudes I see, are people who don't know what the **** they're doing/talking about. Often big guys, or at least tall, but not able to even deal with me getting mad, and I'm not enormous.(EDIT: I don't gong sau bad attitudes, but don't put up with **** ,and all these assholes reveal themselves as cowards against a real nut [me].)

At least in this city, mma is well represented by some soft spoken, level headed, humble human beings, who happen to be friggin madmen in the ring/cage. I think all but the most over-roid-raged get it out in training and fighting, and don't need to turn it on outside of that. Some of the wildest, loudest performers are very quiet in person, they're saving it up, in a sense.
    I am glad to see that MMA is being represented so in your area. I live in smallsville USA and that is mostly the case except for those I do MMA so IM bad characters. Which really is only normal do to the fact that that is the biggest school around here and there are actually very few kung fu guys around except for the few in the school I attend so I guess really I don't have enough people around to make a good enough representation of either side having more arrogance. Also I probably am at a strange kung fu school that has no arrogance it is just a great group of guys and girls we all feel like were just learning and everyone learns at their own pace and so far noone has the arrogant attitude. My teacher is quiet and not a showoff even though I believe he could he don't show out or act like he's GOD. I guess then I'm pretty lucky to be in an non-arrogant kung fu environment.

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 9:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you found the right school for you...nice.

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 12:44am

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay listen people.

This thread is POINTLESS!

If someone is arrogant in nature, it wont matter what style they do, they will always be an arrogant asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2007 12:51am

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    Okay listen people.

This thread is POINTLESS!

If someone is arrogant in nature, it wont matter what style they do, they will always be an arrogant asshole.
    in my experience beating someones ass to a bloody unrecognizable pulp can go a long way to removing arrogance in most cases
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20 LastLast