Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 12:10pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    This thread was supposed tyo be about arrogance in the MMA. I have made the point that arrogance and aggression usually are not far appart. Saying that , Mixed Martial Arts is the most aggressive thing being taught today so it is only natural to find more arrogance in those settings. Now just because their is arrogance does not mean it is wrong just that it is the most popular thing going like modern day gladiators so there should be more arrogance. Not a bad thing just a fact, back in the 70's kung fu was the thing and created alot of arrogant people and still does. I think that people who truly believe in their art and its affectiveness will come off as arrogant to those they try to discuss it with.
    Your arrogance is appalling...as is your inablilty to reason logically

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 1:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about the "martial artists" that tell legit people who spar regularly that sparring builds bad habits, and that their "deadly" **** is 10x better, who refuse to spar, yet still act like they know more than the person they are talking to?

not aggressive, yet arrogant, maybe you aren't looking hard enough

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 3:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjafetus
    This topic does relate to a conversation on arrogance from MMA, by the assertian from some TMAists that MMA fighters are "arrogant" because their martial arts do not teach honor or discipline. The MMA fighter's assertion is that although learning these qualities can be seperate from their art, it does not necessarily imply arrogance (for example, a MMA fighter could learn his discipline and honor from the military, or his church).
    TMA - "Honor", "discipline", lack of fighting skill, gayness and hence delusional arrogance
    MMA - Fighting skill, alpha dog arrogance.

The quotes are because they are mostly more marketing claims than reality. Get a bunch of "grandmasters" in a room and watch them squabble and pick at one another and downtalk everyone else's skills. That's "honor". "Discipline", there's actually a hell of a lot more discipline in training for a fight than in bowing to sensei with the pot belly.

Which one to choose? HMMMMMMMMMMMM........

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 6:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: the shaolin & wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it has probably been said, but anyone can be arrogant, and is a plague in martial arts, where people use their skills, to bully others and act like they are better

It is good and bad...you will meet people who want to go around beating people to a pulp for no reason, look at the school system - kids will beat up other kids, if they are not like them, and feel to put down their dominance

if you want to see arrogance check out Mind Body & Kick ASS with Chris Crudelli

He interviewed a Indian guy about Indian Martial Arts, and questioned it legitimacy, stating that it was ripping off japanese and chinese arts, and the guy got pissed at Chris Crudelli

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 7:19pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    considering there is no evidence that japanese or chinese arts influenced, or preceded indian arts, he has a reason to be pissed. although I'm sure all martial arts influenced one another when they came in contact, well until recently when the whole 'watered down' original-arts- were-deadly-and-can't-be-improved lineage crap started.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is that MMA training=repeatedly getting your ass kicked.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by djchangster
    if you want to see arrogance check out Mind Body & Kick ASS with Chris Crudelli

He interviewed a Indian guy about Indian Martial Arts, and questioned it legitimacy, stating that it was ripping off japanese and chinese arts, and the guy got pissed at Chris Crudelli
    Who's arrogance? Crudelli's? Or the Indian guy?

The Indian guy's had every to be pissed as there are better ways to discuss MA history (you don't go and tell someone that his heritage is a rip-off from somebody else's and expect him not to get mad.)

Plus, what dwak said. To go and call someone's heritage a rip-off based on shady pseudo-history crap, that's arrogance.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2007 10:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: the shaolin & wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Who's arrogance? Crudelli's? Or the Indian guy?

The Indian guy's had every to be pissed as there are better ways to discuss MA history (you don't go and tell someone that his heritage is a rip-off from somebody else's and expect him not to get mad.)

Plus, what dwak said. To go and call someone's heritage a rip-off based on shady pseudo-history crap, that's arrogance.
    It was a little bit on both ends - the indian guy thought he was mister know it all

and chris seems to just be a huge fan of oriental stuff, and was acting like mister know it all as well, but i also feel he was simply making a statement, that it looked a lot like wushu

for example the move he did on chris crudelli - the chicken wing, neck grab lock - I have learned that same move before - i actually learned it watching enter the dragon, so I can see where he is simply saying it is similar, which there is nothing wrong - it is like saying coca cola and pepsi are similar, apples and oranges

but to put into context, all martail arts have similarities -

grappling, joint locking
    china - chin na, san shou
    japan - jujitsu, judo, aikido
    korea - hapkido
    egyptians - wrestling
    greeks - wrestling

striking
    china - san da
    japan - karate

and the list goes on - its not like the punch, is only found in european fighting or chinese fighting - its similar, and i kind of agree, it looks the same

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 6:38am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crudelli is a sychophant to any idiot they churn out, so this surpises me...check out the ridiculous episdoe where the guy "transmits chi"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2007 11:48am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my favourite episode is the one where they talk to leung ting of ving tsun and he's talking about how the stunts a lot of kung fu students do are faked. Eg Putting a brick on the head and having someone smash it with a hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvRJEWHzGTo

Sorry about the long clip time .

Odd isn't it that this is the only segment in the whole series where Crudelli(primarily a kung fu practioner) is not present.

Not saying it doesn't take talent and training to do these stunts (they are still dangerous) but all this crap about chi being used to protect the body. PLEEEAAASSEEEE. Try explaining it with basic physics before you use chi Chris. Also why do all kung fu practitioners use the same stunts despite vastly different styles ah it must be because the chi involved is the same OR maybe its because these are the only way to do the stunts without skewing yourself.

RANT OVER.