224800 Bullies, 3765 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 120 of 193
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. chingythingy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:28am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayleanwushu
    if they can fight so well and know it why do they need to be arrogant.
    Because you can pick up more chicks at fight events after parties by being arrogant than you can by not being arrogant. Stupid question.

    most of them can fight ONE very well, but what about more than one?
    If you end up with more than one at an after party, then you need much more chi than you will get studying wushu.

    Sheesh, do we have to explain everything to you around here?
  2. chingythingy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 12:32am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    What you, as a weapon owner/handler does with it, that's what makes you (not it or the skills to use it) arrogant, immoral or whatever other similar adjective you wish to apply.
    This is PRECISELY why I really, really, really love my t-shirt that says "Guns don't kill people, I kill people".
  3. bobyclumsyninja is offline
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar

    :)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,057

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 3:15am

    supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, I just now noticed he does black lotus wushu (forms?)...you're right hayleanwushu, it's all about the honor, and self respect and not all that nasty fighting.

    I now understand your comments, forms OR fighting dude, choose one...or be prepared to be very very busy ratifying the two.

    Is that where the resentment of mma fighters comes from? If you're only doing forms, then you yourself shouldn't have an ego about fighting, because you're not fighting. Mma fighters don't do any forms (drills yes,shadowbox yes, forms no), and it's all fighting, same for sport fighters in general. It's like someone making beats on their computer, and talking to me about guitar technique. Live in real time is one thing, planned and timed out is another.

    If they're fighting all the time, then it follows that they'd be aware of thier ability. Wushu won't do that, because it's speculation about what exactly does and doesn't work well for the individual.

    I have about as much honor as I'm going to, I just want to know how to fight and win at this point...same for most.
  4. isol8d is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    773

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 11:01am


     Style: kung fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Can you say it is arrogant for shooting to be only about... shooting? Well, maybe you can, but it will be a retarded statement.
    I wouldn't say it's arrogant for shooting to be only about shooting, but I would say it is stupid to put it that way.

    I didn't train shooting for sport or leisure. I trained shooting for hunting. To me, shooting was about hunting, and hunting teaches respect. Call me a traditionalist , but thats the way I was raised around guns and bows.



    Does this mean that shooting for sport isn't effective for hunting or that hunting is less of sport? Does shooting skeet make you less arrogant than shooting at a range? Where does paintball fall into this? Is it LARPing?

    Man, this is a can of worms I didn't intend to get into when I first read this.

    I haven't gone hunting since I was a kid, and I haven't shot a gun since my early twenties. So yeah, I'm kind of talking out of my ass, but I know there is a point in there somewhere.


    and "Iron Eyes" Cody was a family friend....
  5. hayleanwushu is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    nashville
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:17pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: black lotus wushu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    man, I just now noticed he does black lotus wushu (forms?)...you're right hayleanwushu, it's all about the honor, and self respect and not all that nasty fighting.

    I now understand your comments, forms OR fighting dude, choose one...or be prepared to be very very busy ratifying the two.

    Is that where the resentment of mma fighters comes from? If you're only doing forms, then you yourself shouldn't have an ego about fighting, because you're not fighting. Mma fighters don't do any forms (drills yes,shadowbox yes, forms no), and it's all fighting, same for sport fighters in general. It's like someone making beats on their computer, and talking to me about guitar technique. Live in real time is one thing, planned and timed out is another.

    If they're fighting all the time, then it follows that they'd be aware of thier ability. Wushu won't do that, because it's speculation about what exactly does and doesn't work well for the individual.

    I have about as much honor as I'm going to, I just want to know how to fight and win at this point...same for most.

    as for forms or fighting i do both... but black lotus has no forms that are not combat effective(they all shadowbox) and as for just fighting we do that more than anything else. im in martial arts(and have been since i was 10) to learn how to win. and wushu isnt speculation about what works. wushu simply means "physical art". there are a lot of "wushu" or "kungfu" schools that dont focus any attention to defending yourself and its sad really. but ive never met a black lotus school that didnt teach rigourous fighting techniches. in short dont assume that because i study wushu that i dont study fighting and just study forms(or speculations).
  6. seriousmantid is offline

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    629

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:32pm

    supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    If I'm reading this correctly it sounds a little bit like you're over-intellectuallizing fighting. Talking about different ranges and how that changes things. The only thing that changes with distance is the tool you use to cross it. Anybody who tells you that fighting isn't personal is kinda full of it. That ****'s personal no matter what "range" it takes place at. Shooting somebody is personal. Stabbing them is personal. Punching them in the face is personal. Choking them or breaking an arm is definetely personal.

    Okay, maybe if you get to push a button and nuke a continent without ever having to see a single body or hear even one scream, that can take some of the sting out. But its still personal

    Also, what's wrong with have a little bit of an ego? A healthy one I mean. A lot of PTMA (to use Phrost's acronym) have these weird bits of philosophy floating around in their heads from too many legends, myths and martial arts movies. Fighting is not religion and too often these things get confused. What the **** is wrong with being sure of yourself? You have to be to climb in a cage with another person, or risk getting bones broken and getting knocked out whenever you train. You have to believe in yourself. Or you want to have these things and you fight to earn them for yourself. Too often I've got some wet brained Mr. Miyagi type spewing some Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance bullshit at me about how its good to humble.

    Yeah it is, but you can carry it too far and besides, a lot of the supposedly humble people I've met are so full of **** its astonishing that one human can spend that much time lying to itself.

    I'm not gonna brainwash myself into thinking less of myself just because some twit told me to. Its not gonna happen. I've worked hard to attain my current level of mediocrity. I'm proud of that ****!:tongue3:

    I see, ok, the closeness of combat tends to mean a certain level of aggression when wresteling your at the height of that aggression due to the closeness of contact. Sometimes aggression usually runs side by side with arrogance. The more arrogant you are the more aggressive you tend to be that is why you find the guys that do the more aggressive arts tend to be more arrogant. This is not a down fall it just has to do with psychology Freud elaborates on this in his flight or fight response theory. That was what I was trying to say anyhow are we still on the same page, or better yet are you picking up what I'm putting down.
  7. Vince Tortelli is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,000

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:37pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a minute, so I'm being more aggresive if I'm going for a pin in wrestling than if I am in a Muay Thai match trying to put the other guy to sleep with knees and elbows? Does not compute.

    And Freud was a schlong obsessed nicotine addict.
  8. isol8d is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    773

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:55pm


     Style: kung fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayleanwushu
    but ive never met a black lotus school that didnt teach rigourous fighting techniches. in short dont assume that because i study wushu that i dont study fighting and just study forms(or speculations).
    it is actually a pretty good assumption that you would just study forms.

    How many Black Lotus schools are there? I've only been able to find this one:

    Mac's Kung Fu

    YouTube Videos

    maybe you can help me out, just never heard of you guys before....
    Last edited by isol8d; 10/10/2007 2:03pm at . Reason: many not man
  9. bobyclumsyninja is offline
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar

    :)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,057

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayleanwushu
    as for forms or fighting i do both... but black lotus has no forms that are not combat effective(they all shadowbox) and as for just fighting we do that more than anything else. im in martial arts(and have been since i was 10) to learn how to win. and wushu isnt speculation about what works. wushu simply means "physical art". there are a lot of "wushu" or "kungfu" schools that dont focus any attention to defending yourself and its sad really. but ive never met a black lotus school that didnt teach rigourous fighting techniches. in short dont assume that because i study wushu that i dont study fighting and just study forms(or speculations).
    sure, well that's why I had the (forms?) in there. I'm not making assumptions about black lotus wushu, other than drawing from the modern interpretation of wushu. Someone get Joshinmaster to come in and bust a translation.:happy6:

    EDIT: I'm a fan of sparring, not mma or tma exclusively. I contend sparring builds character
    more than any other thing. It takes guts to put on some safety stuff, and go in knowing for sure you will get hit/kicked/stretched/compressed and will have some bruises, will have an occasional black eye, or painful body part (insert your rude joke!).

    That's character, and it allows the person in question to not feel the need to thump their chest about how good they are, because they find out just how good they are, and have to deal with sometimes getting owned....

    mma has more sparring, kickboxing, boxing, bjj, and some others do little else, demo then spar it out. Drill, then spar with it. That's learning to fight.

    Building muscle memory, stamina, cardio, losing weight, respecting elders, are all good, but sparring builds character, and really teaches people how to fight, not just how to fling their body around...or angle and lean to make the pad pop loudest.

    Standing there, with some dude doing some technique on you, and you're supposed to go with it, and hope he isn't too hard, is a little retardable. I've never drilled in san da, without being expected to have my guard up. I've been punched in the head with focus mitts many times, to reinforce the point on the fly.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 10/10/2007 2:08pm at .
  10. Hanniballistic is offline
    Hanniballistic's Avatar

    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,166

    Posted On:
    10/10/2007 2:07pm


     Style: JKD & Mok'bara

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    it is actually a pretty good assumption that you would just study forms.

    How many Black Lotus schools are there? I've only been able to find this one:

    Mac's Kung Fu

    YouTube Videos

    maybe you can help me out, just never heard of you guys before....
    Absolute tosh on both links!

    hayleanwushu, how do you know that what your style teaches is effective?

    On a daily basis I test and prove my combative skills. So do MMA fighters. What do you do to hone these skills to be combat ready?
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.