225020 Bullies, 3660 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 4:54pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    Provide proof that is shouldn't be only about fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 4:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hayleanwushu
    it is arrogent to say that martial arts should ONLY be about fighting.
    it is arrogant for you to tell me why I should train martial arts

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See my post above yours. Also, if an adult person seeks lessons on humility, morality, discipline and self-improvement in martial arts, that person is a sociopath incapable of finding its own place among other members of the human race.

There are far better, more appropriate venues to find and develop those attributes for an adult.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 4:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

it is arrogent to say that martial arts should ONLY be about dicipline and respect
    Do you understand your contradiction yet?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your opinion of Filipino Martial Arts? They have never been for anything else but fighting. And what about the old JMAs during the feudal periods in Japan? The were certainly for fighting only (all that other moral instrospection attached to them are just an modern invention)

Or what about the Western Martial Arts of Medieval Europe? What about Zulu stickfighting and other Sub-Saharan Martial Arts that have never had anything to do with anything other than fighting?

What about Muay Thai?

Are you telling me that those martial arts should be more than for fighting? And if so, why? Or are they not martial arts?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learning to fight is one thing, learning to persevere, to be humble, to have confidence(not arrogance) in every aspect of life and not just combat is a few other things martial arts is about.
    Because YOU say so? That's quite arrogant right there.

There is NOTHING about Martial Arts that requires it to reach beyond learning to fight efficiently.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 5:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artard
    After reading this thread, my opinion is that 8 step preying mantis makes you arrogant
    adding "black lotus wushu" to this list

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 5:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi gymkata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your opinion of Filipino Martial Arts? They have never been for anything else but fighting. And what about the old JMAs during the feudal periods in Japan? The were certainly for fighting only (all that other moral instrospection attached to them are just an modern invention)

Or what about the Western Martial Arts of Medieval Europe? What about Zulu stickfighting and other Sub-Saharan Martial Arts that have never had anything to do with anything other than fighting?

What about Muay Thai?

Are you telling me that those martial arts should be more than for fighting? And if so, why? Or are they not martial arts?
    I realize we do not get along or agree about some issues. Nevertheless, I agree with the majority of what you have said over the last few posts.

Adults seeking enlightment, wisdom, and self discipline from forms of combat are likely to be dealing with deeper issues than can be resolved by studying under some alleged 'master.'
    What you do with it is what makes you arrogant or immoral. The moral and legal principles that teach you what's arrogant or immoral or illegal are not part of martial arts. They are disciplines, in their own right, which should not be confused with martial arts themselves. Neither they should be considered integral parts of martial arts.
    The idea that martial arts should somehow impart morality on its pupils is Hollywood hype. When I started GoJu way the hell back when, I wanted to learn to fight, plain and simple. I lived in a rough industrial town, lots of 'street' kids and I (my mother) wanted me to have an edge over the other guy(s).

In the years I have trained my best teachers taught avoidance as an issue of commonsense and not an issue of morality.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 5:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    Because YOU say so? That's quite arrogant right there.
    Ding Ding Ding. Asia saw what was wrong with your statement. There is the answer. Do you get it yet?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 8:08pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always rejected the notion that there was some sort of generic discipline you could get.

If that were true, you wouldn't see, say, cops and soldiers who were in great shape but problems at home, or 8 year med students with gambling problems.

The idea that we have 'discipline' and it's like, one of our stats and it goes up when we gain 10000xp . . . I don't think so.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast