Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 9:49pm

Style: Bad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking to start boxing.

One of the main reasons I joined here is to get some info on boxing. So if anyone wants to, for whatever reason, look up a place around me, I think I've got my general area in my profile.

But my main question is: since I don't really have time to go take classes or anything, what should I do to get in shape? I'm like 6'2", 210 lbs. I'm somewhat in shape cause me and my friends used to spar a lot, but it's been like a once in a while thing lately. So like, what kind of drills should I do or whatever. I don't wanna throw in a Rocky movie and try and train off of that, mostly cause it's a movie and it'd probably be one of the worst things to do. I'm kinda short on money too, so try and keep this stuff as cheap as it can get. I'm sure I'll have to pick up a bag and whatever, but for now I just need the basics to get more into shape.

Thanks guys(and girls, however many there may be).

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K8914
    One of the main reasons I joined here is to get some info on boxing. So if anyone wants to, for whatever reason, look up a place around me, I think I've got my general area in my profile.
    http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/michigan.htm

But my main question is: since I don't really have time to go take classes or anything, what should I do to get in shape? I'm like 6'2", 210 lbs. I'm somewhat in shape cause me and my friends used to spar a lot, but it's been like a once in a while thing lately. So like, what kind of drills should I do or whatever. I don't wanna throw in a Rocky movie and try and train off of that, mostly cause it's a movie and it'd probably be one of the worst things to do. I'm kinda short on money too, so try and keep this stuff as cheap as it can get. I'm sure I'll have to pick up a bag and whatever, but for now I just need the basics to get more into shape.

Thanks guys(and girls, however many there may be).
    The best way to get into shape for boxing is to actually box. Don't **** around trying to get "in shape" before you join; just join. Doing the classes will get you into shape for the classes pretty quickly.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're looking to start boxing, why is boxing in your style field?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 11:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to the gym and do what your coach tells you to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 1:09am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What everyone else said. But, if you really want to do something before you join the gym that will benefit you, might I suggest road work? It's fast (well, depending on the distance you put in), cheap and is integral to boxing. Your coach will have you doing it anyway, but it's not something that you need to learn from him, as opposed to say you buying a heavy bag and working out on it before you have proper instruction on technique. Just a thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 8:15pm

Style: Tae Kwon Did

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically what everybody said. Also, just do some push-ups and sit-ups at home everyday, that'll help you get in shape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 9:54pm

Style: Bad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    If you're looking to start boxing, why is boxing in your style field?
    I dunno. I just kinda threw it in there. I'll probably change it to something dumb 'til I actually start boxing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali/Box/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    The best way to get into shape for boxing is to actually box. Don't **** around trying to get "in shape" before you join; just join. Doing the classes will get you into shape for the classes pretty quickly.
    This This This

Also, donīt ever try to train yourself or with a friend until you have a couple of years down the road. I know a person who trains from videos (and has excellent fitness) who canīt sadly box nothing. He looks great, but just doesnīt seem to cover up, or do the catcherīs mitt.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running, jump rope maybe if you know how. Sit ups, push ups, squats. Basic crap. All this will get you prepared for the punishment you will really face. This is assuming you have a valid reason for not starting ASAP.

I want to emphasize that doing these things on your own, or even training at home, is nothing like the exercise rape you're going to be facing. There. is. no. comparison. Go to the gym, fo real. DO ITTTT

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 9:18am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a coach and don't post in Strikeistan about technique until you have been training for at least a year.