Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 8:36am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Isn't creatine phosphate the first energy system used? I read it in a book somewhere. At least in high intensity anaerobic work (like an MMA match). I think I read it lasts for about the first 30 or so seconds of work until it is depleted.

Just throwing it out there as another reason maybe to supplement creatine besides the other common ones.
    ****, I gotta run to work, and may not be able to see this thread the whole day... but I'm just throwing some stuff from wiki that may help start a discussion.

From the good old wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphagen

The phosphagens are energy storage compounds, also known as high energy phosphate compounds, are chiefly found in muscular tissue in animals. They allow a high energy phosphate pool to be maintained in a concentration range which, if it all were ATP, would create problems due to the ATP consuming reactions in these tissues. As muscle tissues can have sudden demands for lots of energy, these compounds can maintain a reserve of high energy phosphates that can kick in as needed, to provide the energy that could not be immediately supplied by glycolysis or oxidative phosphorylation.

The actual biomolecule used as a phosphagen is dependent on the organism. The majority of animals use arginine/phosphoarginine as phosphagens; however, the phylum Chordata (i.e. animals with backbones) use creatine. Creatine phosphate, or phosphocreatine, is made from ATP by the enzyme creatine kinase in a reversible reaction:

Creatine + ATP <--> creatine phosphate + ADP (this reaction is Mg++ dependent)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosi...tions_in_cells

ATP is generated in the cell by energy-releasing processes and is broken down by energy-consuming processes, in this way ATP transfers energy between spatially-separate metabolic reactions. ATP is the main energy source for the majority of cellular functions. This includes the synthesis of macromolecules, including DNA, RNA, and proteins. ATP also plays a critical role in the transport of macromolecules across cell membranes, e.g. exocytosis and endocytosis.

ATP is critically involved in maintaining cell structure by facilitating assembly and disassembly of elements of the cytoskeleton. In a related process, ATP is required for the shortening of actin and myosin filament crossbridges required for muscle contraction. This latter process is one of the main energy requirements of animals and is essential for locomotion and respiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine_phosphate

Phosphocreatine, also known as creatine phosphate or Pcr, is a phosphorylated creatine molecule that is an important energy store in skeletal muscle. It is used to anaerobically generate ATP from ADP, forming creatine for the 2 to 7 seconds following an intense effort. It does that by donating a phosphate group and this reaction is catalyzed by creatine kinase (presence of creatine kinase in plasma is indicative of tissue damage and is used in the diagnosis of myocardial infarction). This reaction is reversible and it therefore acts as a spatial and temporal buffer of ATP concentration. In other words, Phosphocreatine is part of a coupled reaction; the energy given off from one reaction is used to regenerate the other compound - be it ATP or PC. Phosphocreatine plays a particularly important role in tissues that have high, fluctuating energy demands such as muscle and brain.

Creatine phosphate is synthesized in the liver, and transported to the muscle cells, via the bloodstream, for storage.

However, also from wiki (which I've also read in other sources):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatin...ic_performance

There is scientific evidence that taking creatine supplements can marginally increase athletic performance in high-intensity anaerobic repetitive cycling sprints, but studies in swimmers and runners have been less than promising, possibly due to the weight gain.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

:)

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great thread, I just learned a bunch of stuff that can help me realize how badly I suck. I'd say task specific endurance and staying calm(ish) have a lot to do with it.

What I do with my wrist (what?) to fret my guitar(oh) for hours on end, would cramp up most hands/wrists in a minute or two. However, I made the mistake of grappling before kickboxing at the NY throwdown, and paid the price, because I don't grapple and wore my muscles out so bad, that after 15 minutes or so of rolling, I couldn't close my left hand.
    When it came to trying to kickbox afterward, I was a wreck. From the stress of unfamiliar demands on my body and not staying chill, and rationing out my strength.

translation: I got owned.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:36pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit groggy today, I guess. The thread title looked like:

"Being muscular makes you gay?"
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not being groggy. That's your restrained subconscious ;)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 2:23pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :gay:

Hai there El Beefcake!!!
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

:)

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freudian slut, it happens.

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    :gay:

Hai there El Beefcake!!!
    oh you, stop it *** blushes ***

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234