GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What????

Anyways, I go with HanktheTank. A juiced guy who gains muscle rapidly won't have his bodyconditioned to keep the muscles going. Now if the same guy starts conditioning work after his cycle I'm sure he will be fine. More muscle does not automatically mean gas out.

However I'm sure there comes a point where gaining more muscle has diminishing returns and a fighter might be better off training other areas. Same goes for overtraining any quality.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 7:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wado kai karate
    its true the bigger you are the faster you will gas....so thats why those short martial artests are so damn fast, they dont have to worry as much ... if at all about gassing out.
    see the two posts before your and the one after ;)

NoMan, LI, after I typed mine and logged off, I forgot to add the following caveat (which you guys have mentioned as well):

If a fighter blows himself up in excess of what his body can naturally support, he'll gas. He'll be a blown up fighter.

The mistake people do is to assume a muscular person is a blown up fighter, rather than being muscular due to genetics as well as a strenght-training program including in his MA training (like many wrestlers do.) To assume otherwise is a very dangerous mistake to make if that's part of your game plan against someone that looks "beefy".
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 8:22am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    The mistake people do is to assume a muscular person is a blown up fighter, rather than being muscular due to genetics as well as a strenght-training program including in his MA training (like many wrestlers do.)
    Macho has his usual correct. If anyone needs an anecdote to support this, please have a look at one of my personal heroes, Alexander Karelin (6'3", 290 lbs):

... and then go looking for evidence that he had any problems with his power endurance conditioning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:13am

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    Macho has his usual correct. If anyone needs an anecdote to support this, please have a look at one of my personal heroes, Alexander Karelin (6'3", 290 lbs):

... and then go looking for evidence that he had any problems with his power endurance conditioning.
    meh... I could take him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:20am

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a guy in my MMA class who is ripped.
    I gas way before he does and I am a lot smaller than he is.
    I also run on a regular basis, and he does little cardio.
    I think this is because (just like Teh El Macho stated) he is specifically adapted to the imposed demands of MMA. He has been training a lot longer than I have.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:33am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muscular guys gassing is more of a tendency than a rule, I think.

Kinda like "muscular guys aren't flexible."
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:40am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say smaller guys should be able to obtain better endurance. Of course that's based on no conclusive evidence whatsoever, so feel free to add "talking out my arse" to the start of the paragraph.

But look at the lightweight UFC division, it's like watching lizards scrapping, constantly high paced.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:46am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    see the two posts before your and the one after ;)
    ignore him. he's either a moron or a troll.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 9:48am

Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    common misconception that has risen out of compititors training only a certain (usually self precribed) strength facet, eg, max strength training being emphasised over all other general physical peraredness, Like macho said the blown up fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 12:50pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is kind of tangent to the muscular/gassing, but was it Glutamine that helps with endurance, or simply with recovery time? I'm really looking into that so that my recovery speeds up, but I wouldn't mind a boost while working. (note: Noxplode was what TEM used for that right?)

I'm 6'2 225, and I tend to gas at about 45 minutes to an hour of continuous sparring (striking only, light/medium contact). But we usually go to an hour and 15 or 20... This is one night per week.

This seems to be more muscle endurance than cardio? While my heartrate is going good, it's not excessive and breathing is pretty normal. I simply find my legs to be about 200 pounds instead of the usual 70 after kicking for an hour. While I'm assuming there isn't any miracle method to keeping energy, I wouldn't mind suggestions for endurance. (Ps. Total Gym gets here Wednesday so that might help).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast