Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:22pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Guards in MMA, not as effective?

In plain BJJ, we have the heirarchy of positions, with them centered around the guard position, which is like the base attacking position. If you're in someone's guard, conventional wisdom is you shouldn't attack until once you pass that person's guard.

But whenever I watch an MMA match, a person in someone's guard can punch, elbow, and rain down a crap load of punishment, while the other guy holding someone in the guard is frequently more defensive, and only rarely attacking from there.

Does this mean most MMA fighters aren't good guard fighters, or is the guard itself, weaker in MMA than plain old BJJ? Would like y'alls thoughts.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:40pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your guard has to be better in MMA. Guys with good guards in MMA are especially good at using the guard to control the hips of their opponent to take away power in the strikes.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    In plain BJJ, we have the heirarchy of positions, with them centered around the guard position, which is like the base attacking position. If you're in someone's guard, conventional wisdom is you shouldn't attack until once you pass that person's guard.

But whenever I watch an MMA match, a person in someone's guard can punch, elbow, and rain down a crap load of punishment, while the other guy holding someone in the guard is frequently more defensive, and only rarely attacking from there.

Does this mean most MMA fighters aren't good guard fighters, or is the guard itself, weaker in MMA than plain old BJJ? Would like y'alls thoughts.
    If that person is in someone's good guard, he may be able to throw strikes that are annoying but with diminished power. Elbows may still cut, but a good guard will robe you the ability to put some powah behind your punches. OTH, if all the guy on bottom does is wrap his legs around his opponent, he'll be into a whole world of pain.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:51pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the gi plays a big part.

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 11:49pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    In plain BJJ, we have the heirarchy of positions, with them centered around the guard position, which is like the base attacking position.
    Who taught you this?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 11:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    I think the gi plays a big part.
    Bravo nutrider. Royler demands rematch!

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 4:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In MMA you have to attack constantly, you can't afford to rest as maintaining grips is not as easy. Once you grip the gi it takes a lot to remove those grips, whereas holding the wrists is easy to break and even under or overhooks can be slipped out of if you just try to hold on and don't attack.

Breaking and controlling posture is even more important in MMA. In a BJJ match, even if your opponent postures they still have to work to open your guard. However, with MMA as soon as they are postured they have a good position to strike from.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Who taught you this?
    It is why most tournaments award pulling guard with more points than hitting sweeps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 9:33pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    your guard has to be better in MMA. Guys with good guards in MMA are especially good at using the guard to control the hips of their opponent to take away power in the strikes.
    I know this sounds incredibly stupid, but this has never even entered my mind. When I have someone in my guard, my main tactics are to throw random armbars and triangle attempts, lock down and try and work a sweep, or cover up and EBI EBI the **** out of there back to my feet.

I can add that to the multitude of reasons as to why I suck hard!