Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 1:48pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk
    Though you try to say it, you miss the impact that the media has today in Martial Arts. The Gracies are only known because of the popularity of MMA on cable television, which reaches millions of people instantly. Hank Slomanski had the local newspaper, which may have had a circulation of tens of thousands. Huge difference.
    You apparantly didn't bother to read what I wrote.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 1:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And you seemed to have missed this part of the article:

"Dr. Kano also revised the rainking system, creating ten steps with relatively short intervals to keep judo students interested in progressing through the various technical levels."
    We may be misunderstanding each other here. Ranks are not belts, attaining a new rank didn't mean the student got a new belt (as they were all white). Coloured belts originated in Europe, because apparently we Europeans have short attention spans or something.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:04pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    See, this is something that none of us really had a problem with. It was the attempt to make a revolution in karate in the pre-Oyama days take on some more global significance that annoyed everyone so.
    Post Masutatsu Oyama days my friend. It was one of his students that changed their style. And, the significance of it was because the techniques of the time did not account for men of skill the size of Hank Slomanski.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Also, this is a good and interesting article.
    Thank you. I found it well researched and straight to the point.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    You apparantly didn't bother to read what I wrote.
    Actually I did. Maybe I just misunderstood what you wrote.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    We may be misunderstanding each other here. Ranks are not belts, attaining a new rank didn't mean the student got a new belt (as they were all white). Coloured belts originated in Europe, because apparently we Europeans have short attention spans or something.
    LOL...

Actually, there were ranks. Beginners and advance students. Competitive advance students could earn up to 10th degree. But, most competitive ranks were from first through fifth degree I believe.

The funny thing is, when I began researching about black belts, I also did a side search on the history of the Gi. I read that it was taken from the time of the Samurai. Samurai would stripe down to their under garments to train, so as not to soil their clothes. That is why most Gi's are white, they are a representation of Samurai under garments. LOL.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post Masutatsu Oyama days my friend. It was one of his students that changed their style. And, the significance of it was because the techniques of the time did not account for men of skill the size of Hank Slomanski.
    Again besides plagerizing from here

http://www.tracyskarate.com/Stories/...black_belt.htm

What is your source that Hank Slomanski specifically had any effect of Kyukushin Karate???

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soju - Joe
    Again besides plagerizing from here

http://www.tracyskarate.com/Stories/...black_belt.htm

What is your source that Hank Slomanski specifically had any effect of Kyukushin Karate???
    Plagerism means to copy word for word. I wrote everything in my own words, except for some small quotes.

Source
    Source
    Source
    Source
    Same article as previous source but Black Belt magazine article

Is that enough?

And how about the fact that he was indeed the first instructor of Danny Inosanto.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No

you took one quote from here http://www.tracyskarate.com/Stories/...black_belt.htm

Which in itself doesn't show any connection between Kyukushin and Slomoanski just conjecture and opinion

And stated it as fact.

And then drew the conclusion that Shigeru Oyama came to the US because of Slomanski which is just pure conjecture on your part.

The other sources don't mention Oyama at all

It's a real shame to that this guy seems like one of those cool WWII / Korea combat vets who could fight like a mofo and were resposible for bringing Karate to the US, and a brand of hard ass effective Karate at that.

Has to be derailed into you focusing on his effect on competition and trying to justify your claim as one of the great martial artists.

The guy didn't found a system or start a martial art revolution out side of changing karate competition rules.

The guy deserves to be recognized for being a hard ass tough martial artist, fighter and apparently a good demanding teacher but so do a lot of others, doesn't make the one of the great martial artists.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 2:52pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, causing an entire country to change its approach because he beat every fighter they threw at him is not a revolution. I would compare it to say, a Japanese baseball team winning the World Series. An event that would give recognition to every player on the Japanese team if it occured. And that Japanese team, if it existed, would be considered great.

Unfortunately, you would rather pick apart my presentation then recognize the fact that he destroyed the belief in Japanese Karate techniques as they were practiced at the time. You liken his accomplishments to him just being another fighter. Never mind that he accomplished what no Japanese Karate-ka ever accomplished by knocking off 119 consecutive opponents. He proved that size matters, and that technique alone, as the Japanese thought, was not adequate to the task. That was huge at the time.

Yet you continue to resist. I suppose such an accomplishment should just fade away, rather then being recognized for what it is. But, that is the way of martial arts. If they ain't on cable, they ain't ****.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast