Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    490
    Style
    karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Can you prove any of this? No.
    It is what you heard. Not saying you are wrong just saying this is one of at least 100 different variations.

    Shaolin is piecemeal.
    Monks hid and taught out the real shaolin.
    There were layman monks that ate meat, fought, and were married.
    That it was a rebel location whose front was a monastery.
    There was no fighting by the monks it was actually the rebels who trained not the monks.



    You guys want me to keep going? These are thing I have read in articles, books and seen in documentaries.
    Actually yes..I have a documentary on shaolin that states they do have the two different groups and that they dd loose a lot of info on styles in the fires.
    The statement about them filling in the blanks was just my opinion.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    490
    Style
    karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist
    Pardon me while I wax philosophically for a moment. If we think about the Shaolin Temple in terms of "what is" rather than "what should be" or "what was" we can only conclude that it is a cynical tourist attraction sponsored by a totalitarian police state and about as historically authentic as a trip to the old time picture booth at Knott's Berry Farm.

    Think of the temple as China's version of "Camelot" and Shaolin Monks as the "Knights of the Round Table." Both may have existed. But what really went down is so muddied by unsubstaniated historical records, legend, movies, and the wishful thinking of credulous fanboys that you could go nuts trying to sort it all out.
    Couldn't have said it better...:thumbsup:

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    219
    Style
    in hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenBeakFist
    Pardon me while I wax philosophically for a moment. If we think about the Shaolin Temple in terms of "what is" rather than "what should be" or "what was" we can only conclude that it is a cynical tourist attraction sponsored by a totalitarian police state and about as historically authentic as a trip to the old time picture booth at Knott's Berry Farm.

    Think of the temple as China's version of "Camelot" and Shaolin Monks as the "Knights of the Round Table." Both may have existed. But what really went down is so muddied by unsubstaniated historical records, legend, movies, and the wishful thinking of credulous fanboys that you could go nuts trying to sort it all out.
    Histroy itself is filled with stories, first person accounts, lies, coverups, etc. Hell, look at Bruce Lee, he was alive in the 60's and people still argue over some of the stories that he was allegedly involved in. The point is when it comes to history, there are going to be arguements over its validlity.

    As for the "r34l" shaolin, who is to say what is the r34l shaolin? I mean, over the centuries there has been so much change made ( war, the destruction of the temple, new techniques created, old techniques changed, etc). Today, the modern shaolin kung fu is simply what it is, a sum of techniques and exercises that survived over the years that are subject to the communist gov't.
    Last edited by boondock lee; 10/03/2007 5:58pm at .

  4. #14
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,626
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boondock lee
    Today, the modern shaolin kung fu is simply what it is, a sum of techniques and exercises that survived over the years that are subject to the communist gov't.
    TKD, BJJ Boxing. In another 100 years those will be Shaolin based.

  5. #15
    Jack Rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,161
    Style
    ti da shuai na
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boondock lee
    As for the "r34l" shaolin, who is to say what is the r34l shaolin?
    Actually, I have the r34l Shaolin. The curriculum was created in the 1930's at the Central GuoShu Academy in NanJing (one of the first sport fighting academies in China), and includes calisthenics, drills, solo forms, two man sets, and san shou fighting. I know of no Shaolin lineage older than this for which there's much in the way of a paper trail.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO