Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 12:51pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does Shaolin Kung Fu Exist?

I've seen a few posts in other forums about Shaolin Kung Fu not really "existing" - usually this was spoken of in the sense that the entire "common knowledge" history of Shaolin Kung Fu is false.

I know that some of these people are probably trolling, but I'm truly interested in the actual history of the Shaolin Temple and it's art.

Can anyone clarify for me what they're talking about? Am I not asking a specific enough question?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, they aren't really trolling.

There are so many conflicting stories it is hard to tell what is true and what is false.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here read these you'll see why.

http://www.shaolin.com.au/history.htm
    http://gochina.about.com/od/zhengzho...in_History.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Temple

Now, there is a guy who researches on Kung Fu Forum online that had found books saying the Temple was first a military instillation.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:31pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin is much like TKD being 2000 years old.
    IE. Taken with a grain of national bs ;p.

Links are above though,.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:41pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now from what I understand shaolin does have two different groups. One that does kung fu for demos and travel and such and the other is the actual warrior monks that learn it for fighting.

Now when the temple was burned it did loose alot of their information in regards to different styles, so I figure when they started to rebuild they got together and tried to fill in the blanks (for lack of a better term).

I would say that their is probably true shaolin out there but will we ever see it ..I doubt it just all the pretenders. Plus it would be to deadly for our eyes and they would melt in our heads.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    Now from what I understand shaolin does have two different groups. One that does kung fu for demos and travel and such and the other is the actual warrior monks that learn it for fighting.

Now when the temple was burned it did loose alot of their information in regards to different styles, so I figure when they started to rebuild they got together and tried to fill in the blanks (for lack of a better term).

I would say that their is probably true shaolin out there but will we ever see it ..I doubt it just all the pretenders. Plus it would be to deadly for our eyes and they would melt in our heads.
    This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Can you prove any of this? No.
    It is what you heard. Not saying you are wrong just saying this is one of at least 100 different variations.

Shaolin is piecemeal.
    Monks hid and taught out the real shaolin.
    There were layman monks that ate meat, fought, and were married.
    That it was a rebel location whose front was a monastery.
    There was no fighting by the monks it was actually the rebels who trained not the monks.

You guys want me to keep going? These are thing I have read in articles, books and seen in documentaries.

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:18pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Part of the confusion comes from schools that set themselves up near the site of the temple to get students.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, not really. That was a more current phenomenon when they rebuilt the burnt down temple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 3:24pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pardon me while I wax philosophically for a moment. If we think about the Shaolin Temple in terms of "what is" rather than "what should be" or "what was" we can only conclude that it is a cynical tourist attraction sponsored by a totalitarian police state and about as historically authentic as a trip to the old time picture booth at Knott's Berry Farm.

Think of the temple as China's version of "Camelot" and Shaolin Monks as the "Knights of the Round Table." Both may have existed. But what really went down is so muddied by unsubstaniated historical records, legend, movies, and the wishful thinking of credulous fanboys that you could go nuts trying to sort it all out.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some "Shaolin monks" (there's a ton of schools around the Shaolin temple that claim to do the same stuff) did a demo at my kwoon because we did a lion dance for the opening of some big fancy show they were doing in San Diego. It was kind of cool, but it looked a hell of a lot like wushu.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast