Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

University martial arts/bodyguard programs

After looking through some martial arts forum messages it seems there's a high amount of respect for Yongin Martial Arts programs, even for Taekwondo. Anyone know the details behind their program?

Also, what other universities, more specifically the ones in Seoul, have a program to major in martial arts and bodyguard?

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yongin University also has one of the best Judo (Yudo) programs in the world. When I was in the army I met an american guy who studied the Hapkido program there and he was pretty good at what he did as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 2:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad, to see it has excellent martial arts programs.

I hear that Kyung Hee University has similar programs. Is the quality between those two Unis similar?

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only really know of Yongin by reputation and that the place I attend Yudo at in korea was associated with them. Other than that I can't be of to much help.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 2:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tukkong, Gongkwon Yusul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am late in posting here, but I thought I would comment on what I know.

Yong In University started as a Yudo university. Since then, they have expanded to become a 'normal' university, offering a range of courses, including business, arts, etc. They also teach bodyguard arts as well as other martial arts. They have their own style of Hapkido called Yongmoodo.

I have a Korean friend who graduated from Yong In University. He majored in Yudo and minored in Taekwondo. As a result, he has a 4th dan in both. He also has a couple of other 4th dan belts.

The Yong In Yudo players are all very solid/athletic. My friend has told me about the training and how rigorous it is. He has transferred that to his martial arts dojang, which has some of the strictest training I have seen. Funnily enough, Yudo is the final art that he teaches at his gym.

The younger guys speak English very well - at least, the ones I met do. I know that some of the Presidential Security Service agents are graduates from Yong In. I met one of the agents and he was built like a tank.

The TKD department for Kyung-Hee University is located in Suwon. There are also a large number of other TKD programs available in Korea. One is at Chungcheong University, which often hosts tournaments for foreign TKD practitioners. I think they are the 'world headquarters' for something. My friend used to work there and was often involved in organising training seminars with people coming from all over the world.

As for which is the best...they will all tell you they are the best. With regards to Yudo, most people accept that Yong In is the best. As for TKD, I think Kyung Hee is certainly one of the better known.

One of the good things about the Yong In guys, at least the ones I have met, is they don't get caught up in all the historical BS. They readily admit that Yudo comes from Japan and Kano is the founder. They also accept the 'alternative' history of TKD being derived from Karate.