Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 11:41am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mark123

If nothing else, you should use the military to get in peak physical condition.
    You sure use the military to kill terrorists and bring about the founders vision of world peace!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 3:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    You sure use the military to kill terrorists and bring about the founders vision of world peace!

The founders of this country were isolationists.

Infidel

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 11:33am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ment THEE founder.......
    *Taps side of nose*

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough when you are in a TRADOC type environment. And damn near impossible while deployed these days. But I imagine you can squeeze some time in if you are stationed with a unit - soldiers seem to gravitate towards this stuff and there seems to be schools that satellite around military bases.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 3:54pm

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an FCC (SW) currently on shore duty. On shore, it depends on what your job is--if you're working at a Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity (SIMA), an Afloat Training Group (ATG), or one of the schoolhouses, there's not much time for anything but work. I currently work at what amounts to a nothing job, so I am working on getting my Master's degree and doing some MA training. I have plenty of time in the morning and at lunch to get in a workout, and don't have to worry about work/duty/Seaman Dipshit getting in trouble to interfere with my nightly activities.

When you're stationed on a ship, it all depends on what the ship is doing. As a rule, you should just plan on not having the time, and take whatever time you get as a gift. It's either workups for deployment, the Inspection of the Week, training cycle, regular maintenance and repairs, Seaman Dipshit got into trouble (and now you have to deal with it), or whatever chickenshit make-work the CO or XO decides is important today ("The ship is dirty. Today, the focus is cleaning"). In port you can probably get away for a quick workout, but at sea it's catch-as-catch-can.

When I was last stationed on a ship there weren't any other martial arts practitioners, so I just stuck with running on the treadmill or weight machines when I had the time (which was rare). The weight machines on ships are shitty second-hands (probably from the Air Force), and half of the treadmills won't work. But by god, you'd better be in standards when the next Physical Fitness Test comes up...or else they'll schedule you for extra PT that you'll never have time to attend.

You should also keep any martial arts activities you participate in a secret. Besides the general attitudes outsiders have about fighting and martial arts in general, the Navy takes the pussified view that "man-hours of work will be lost" while you "recuperate from a preventable injury." Hence, most ships explicitly forbid sparring/grappling, and a couple I've been on forbid participation in martial arts period because you can't get hurt if you don't fight, right?

To illustrate: I once caught a black eye during training (some dude with a wild hand). It happens, right? When I got back to the ship, you would have thought that I had killed someone. Careful questioning ("Have you been drinking? Do you have a drinking problem?"), followed by agonized debate ("Should we allow him to participate in such a dangerous activity?"), eventually followed by forbiddance. The ironic thing was that the base softball league was in full swing, and the weekend warriors were limping back to the ship in slings and casts with their light duty chits. On the other hand, the black eye was the worst thing to happen to me in three years.

If you're going to the Academy, I hear they have a good boxing program. The Navy has a boxing team. Hey, you might get lucky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 6:53pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gym at Ramadi had boxing classes run by a pro-boxer reservist that got called up for active duty. I went expecting an hour or so of fundamentals and what I got was 3 hours of throwing punches! It was a great workout. Turns out they were training for a smoker in the support area in two weeks. There were signs all over the place looking for grapplers too, but I got put on QRF and didn't get to train much after that the boxing class. I'd say it's very situational depending upon a lot of factors but you can train if you want to on your off duty time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 8:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gym at Ramadi had boxing classes run by a pro-boxer reservist that got called up for active duty. I went expecting an hour or so of fundamentals and what I got was 3 hours of throwing punches! It was a great workout. Turns out they were training for a smoker in the support area in two weeks. There were signs all over the place looking for grapplers too, but I got put on QRF and didn't get to train much after that the boxing class. I'd say it's very situational depending upon a lot of factors but you can train if you want to on your off duty time.
    Ok, so what you're saying is that I should look for bases with gyms and martial arts programs. That helps.

I'm an FCC (SW) currently on shore duty. On shore, it depends on what your job is--if you're working at a Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity (SIMA), an Afloat Training Group (ATG), or one of the schoolhouses, there's not much time for anything but work. I currently work at what amounts to a nothing job, so I am working on getting my Master's degree and doing some MA training. I have plenty of time in the morning and at lunch to get in a workout, and don't have to worry about work/duty/Seaman Dipshit getting in trouble to interfere with my nightly activities.

When you're stationed on a ship, it all depends on what the ship is doing. As a rule, you should just plan on not having the time, and take whatever time you get as a gift. It's either workups for deployment, the Inspection of the Week, training cycle, regular maintenance and repairs, Seaman Dipshit got into trouble (and now you have to deal with it), or whatever chickenshit make-work the CO or XO decides is important today ("The ship is dirty. Today, the focus is cleaning"). In port you can probably get away for a quick workout, but at sea it's catch-as-catch-can.

When I was last stationed on a ship there weren't any other martial arts practitioners, so I just stuck with running on the treadmill or weight machines when I had the time (which was rare). The weight machines on ships are shitty second-hands (probably from the Air Force), and half of the treadmills won't work. But by god, you'd better be in standards when the next Physical Fitness Test comes up...or else they'll schedule you for extra PT that you'll never have time to attend.

You should also keep any martial arts activities you participate in a secret. Besides the general attitudes outsiders have about fighting and martial arts in general, the Navy takes the pussified view that "man-hours of work will be lost" while you "recuperate from a preventable injury." Hence, most ships explicitly forbid sparring/grappling, and a couple I've been on forbid participation in martial arts period because you can't get hurt if you don't fight, right?

To illustrate: I once caught a black eye during training (some dude with a wild hand). It happens, right? When I got back to the ship, you would have thought that I had killed someone. Careful questioning ("Have you been drinking? Do you have a drinking problem?"), followed by agonized debate ("Should we allow him to participate in such a dangerous activity?"), eventually followed by forbiddance. The ironic thing was that the base softball league was in full swing, and the weekend warriors were limping back to the ship in slings and casts with their light duty chits. On the other hand, the black eye was the worst thing to happen to me in three years.

If you're going to the Academy, I hear they have a good boxing program. The Navy has a boxing team. Hey, you might get lucky.
    Secret martial arts? That's dissappointing.
    Yeah, I was planning on applying to the Academy, which brings to mind the question: do officers get put under the same "restrictions" regarding their training as enlisted men?

Tough when you are in a TRADOC type environment. And damn near impossible while deployed these days. But I imagine you can squeeze some time in if you are stationed with a unit - soldiers seem to gravitate towards this stuff and there seems to be schools that satellite around military bases.
    What does TRADOC stand for again? Anyways, the whole unit mentality is a good point. Can I ask which branch of the military you are with?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TRADOC = TRAINING DOCTRINE

aka the hell I am stuck in, but just for a few more months.

I bro in law is a Liuetenant in the Navy, currently out to sea, and I got him into BJJ. I even gave him my old ATAMA w/ Flags. According to my sister he is very vocal about his training and goes out to learn more and hasn't has any problems from higher brass.

As for Officers: I am about to get commissioned but a former student of mine, leavitk here, is a Major and pretty much kept training alive after I left the unit. Several CPTs I knew fought MMA in Germany. My close battle bud got commissioned and he pretty much has been the main artery for Combatives training and equipment. So as far as the Army is concerned there doesn't seem to be any issues if you know what you are doing.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post, Asia.
    So, basically, the consensus seems to be you can train if you're in the Army, but if you're in the Navy or Air Force, you can only train if you're an officer or under an officer that trains.

Who knows about the Marines and Coast Guard policies?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 11:16pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USMC seems to be all about MCMAP, and the CG, it will depend on whether you are full time or part time.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast