Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training while in the Military

This question is mainly directed towards members of the Navy, but I welcome anyone to answer if they feel they have a point to make.

The question is: If you are on a base, or a ship (not while in combat), is it possible to train regularly enough to be able to continue competing at the level where you left off (or better than when you left off) when your tour of duty ends?

If so, what would be the most amount of training (MMA) that you could do? Enough for the proffessional level? ameteur? recreational?

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 12:52am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, sorry dude. Not enough space or time.

Hey! I used to live in Elk Grove!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? When you were in the army, you never had a consecutive hour of free time for you and a buddy to roll? Is this true for all military or just officers?

Hey! I spent the summer in Seattle!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 6:54am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by falconhunter202
    This question is mainly directed towards members of the Navy, but I welcome anyone to answer if they feel they have a point to make.

The question is: If you are on a base, or a ship (not while in combat), is it possible to train regularly enough to be able to continue competing at the level where you left off (or better than when you left off) when your tour of duty ends?

If so, what would be the most amount of training (MMA) that you could do? Enough for the proffessional level? ameteur? recreational?
    Yes, but that depends mainly on you and your dedication. If you want to keep in shape to compete you will find a way. My brother in law, who I introduced to BJJ, finds time to get together with others and train while at sea. He takes DVDs with him and keeps a journal. So its possible you just need to be motivated. Also most basis have some faciities to train at with in reasonable driving distance.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 7:00am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you have some free time, space and a buddy to roll with, you'll be fine. Start your own little club :D
    Myself i was usually too damn tired from training to do any extra excersise.
    Though i was a sparring partner for a boxing squadmate and a uke for a judoka for a few times :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 11:48am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really depends on the specific situation that you're in. Your career field, your supervision, your duty location... all of these things factor directly into how much free time you will have. All those things considered, Asia is correct when he says that the single biggest factor is your determination to train. If you're willing to spend all of your free time training, then you can train. Sometimes, you just might not have that much free time, and that's why I say all of it.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might be that all you can do is stay fit to keep you ready for when you get back to a training place.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 6:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanx, good responses. From what I can tell, training in the military is just about being willing to sacrifice your time and commit to something.
    On a secondary note, does anyone know anything about the Naval academy's combat programs? I know they have boxing and judo as part of their PE program, but what is the training like?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 9:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of the miltary, I was able to train in Korea, Japan, and Europe. Never more than 2x a week, and deployments, field exercises, long hours didn't help.

I had to shift my paradigm and appreciate whatever I could get...even if it was as short as 5 uninterrupted months of training. Also, I think there is great benefit in just being exposed to different schools and instructors-this was also a big shift in my way of thinking.

If nothing else, you should use the military to get in peak physical condition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2007 11:37am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by falconhunter202

Can't really add too much to what has already been said. Other than it depends on your work load, and where you are stationed.

Shore duty; based on where you are, you should have plenty enough time to stay fit and train.

Sea duty; again based on where you are and where the ship is in its training cycle for deployment. At the very least you'll be able to stay fit.

Like Asia said, it's all about how determnined you are. Keep in mind if you are married and have kids, that will factor into how much time you spend away from home training in addition to how much time is spent at work or out to sea.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast