Page 7 of 11 First ... 34567891011 Last
  1. #61
    Just waiting for the paperboy. supporting member
    Lebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,408
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man you got 12 fingers and they're webbed...stop whining!

  2. #62
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    9,554
    Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    man you got 12 fingers and they're webbed...stop whining!
    It isn't my fault that this city is only famous for quilting and possible radiation leaks .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  3. #63
    Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"
    NJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,681
    Style
    CMA, MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a coincidence this thread is- eh, Phrost?

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ume, Sweden/ Paris, France
    Posts
    1,234
    Style
    Shootfighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    It is my retardation for the most part , a lot of my injuries are pre-existing which didn't heal correctly .
    Damn, sounds harsh... Don't you use tape?


    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I also have a bad habit of leaving my fingers open during standup . It increases hand speed slightly ... but fingers get jammed when I get hit unexpectedly . I break my small toes a whole **** load as well .
    It does? :S

  5. #65

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    80
    Style
    wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my thumb in a lacrosse game and played with it. Didn't even realize it till after.

  6. #66
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    9,554
    Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    Damn, sounds harsh... Don't you use tape?
    When I think about it .
    It does? :S
    Sometimes I take "slightly relaxed fist" a little more than slightly relaxed and leave fingers dangling , but yes , I have found and have been taught by a number of different Instructors from different styles that loose fists travel faster than tightly clinched fists , so let it travel loose then you close it tight at the end of your punch .

    I am sure I will be corrected if this is some bogus **** . I am pretty sure it has something to do with muscle groups in the forearm working against each other or something . Hell it may be just be in my head , but I am pretty sure it is legit in other peoples realities as well .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  7. #67
    I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,492
    Style
    Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Sometimes I take "slightly relaxed fist" a little more than slightly relaxed and leave fingers dangling , but yes , I have found and have been taught by a number of different Instructors from different styles that loose fists travel faster than tightly clinched fists , so let it travel loose then you close it tight at the end of your punch .

    I am sure I will be corrected if this is some bogus **** . I am pretty sure it has something to do with muscle groups in the forearm working against each other or something . Hell it may be just be in my head , but I am pretty sure it is legit in other peoples realities as well .
    The basic premise of a relaxed fist being faster is absolutely true. Anyone who wants to disagree can test it themselves - punch once with a tightly closed fist and once with your hand slightly open and relaxed - there is a significant difference in speed and power (for the people I have compared it with, anyhow). That said, if your hand is open enough that you are injuring your fingers due to it on a more than very infrequent basis, then as you say, you are probably a little TOO relaxed about it.

    I thought the relaxed fist thing was commonly accepted? Is that under debate as a myth? Because I'd be interested in seeing if it could be firmly demonstrated.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

  8. #68
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    9,554
    Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I was typing I realized all the instructors that told me this were TMA guys . So you know ... maybe a shoot fighter or Thai Boxer would have a different view ... I know some kung fu guys don't follow the rule and stay limp or stiff all the way through some strikes . Systema and more than a couple other arts have unique mechanics that I am not completely familiar with as well .

    I was trying to coax some opposing view points out .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #69
    ViciousFlamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,193
    Style
    BJJ & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    While I was typing I realized all the instructors that told me this were TMA guys . So you know ... maybe a shoot fighter or Thai Boxer would have a different view ... I know some kung fu guys don't follow the rule and stay limp or stiff all the way through some strikes . Systema and more than a couple other arts have unique mechanics that I am not completely familiar with as well .

    I was trying to coax some opposing view points out .
    I've been told to relax the muscles slightly when punching up until just before impact by boxing trainers, and when shooting by soccer coaches. Yeah, I know, I know, but I figure similiar biomechanics apply for a soccer kick.

    Also, not only is it supposed to be faster, I know that it prevents me from tensing up too much and then getting tired later.

  10. #70
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    9,554
    Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    It does? :S
    So far it looks thats way ... or at least it is an acceptable method to add to your delivery that works to help your endurance and more than likely punch faster/harder than throwing hands while they are tightly clinched the entire punch .

    but if you are gotarded and leave them open when shelling up or answering the phone ... expect to get them jammed and fucked up occasionally

    ... oh and punching elbows with a relaxed loosely balled fist sucks ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 7 of 11 First ... 34567891011 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO