Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man you got 12 fingers and they're webbed...stop whining!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/04/2007 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    man you got 12 fingers and they're webbed...stop whining!
    It isn't my fault that this city is only famous for quilting and possible radiation leaks .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 12:44am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a coincidence this thread is- eh, Phrost?

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:35am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    It is my retardation for the most part , a lot of my injuries are pre-existing which didn't heal correctly .
    Damn, sounds harsh... Don't you use tape?

I also have a bad habit of leaving my fingers open during standup . It increases hand speed slightly ... but fingers get jammed when I get hit unexpectedly . I break my small toes a whole **** load as well .
    It does? :S

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my thumb in a lacrosse game and played with it. Didn't even realize it till after.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 9:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    Damn, sounds harsh... Don't you use tape?
    When I think about it .
    Sometimes I take "slightly relaxed fist" a little more than slightly relaxed and leave fingers dangling , but yes , I have found and have been taught by a number of different Instructors from different styles that loose fists travel faster than tightly clinched fists , so let it travel loose then you close it tight at the end of your punch .

I am sure I will be corrected if this is some bogus **** . I am pretty sure it has something to do with muscle groups in the forearm working against each other or something . Hell it may be just be in my head , but I am pretty sure it is legit in other peoples realities as well .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:07am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes I take "slightly relaxed fist" a little more than slightly relaxed and leave fingers dangling , but yes , I have found and have been taught by a number of different Instructors from different styles that loose fists travel faster than tightly clinched fists , so let it travel loose then you close it tight at the end of your punch .

I am sure I will be corrected if this is some bogus **** . I am pretty sure it has something to do with muscle groups in the forearm working against each other or something . Hell it may be just be in my head , but I am pretty sure it is legit in other peoples realities as well .
    The basic premise of a relaxed fist being faster is absolutely true. Anyone who wants to disagree can test it themselves - punch once with a tightly closed fist and once with your hand slightly open and relaxed - there is a significant difference in speed and power (for the people I have compared it with, anyhow). That said, if your hand is open enough that you are injuring your fingers due to it on a more than very infrequent basis, then as you say, you are probably a little TOO relaxed about it.

I thought the relaxed fist thing was commonly accepted? Is that under debate as a myth? Because I'd be interested in seeing if it could be firmly demonstrated.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I was typing I realized all the instructors that told me this were TMA guys . So you know ... maybe a shoot fighter or Thai Boxer would have a different view ... I know some kung fu guys don't follow the rule and stay limp or stiff all the way through some strikes . Systema and more than a couple other arts have unique mechanics that I am not completely familiar with as well .

I was trying to coax some opposing view points out .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:04am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I was typing I realized all the instructors that told me this were TMA guys . So you know ... maybe a shoot fighter or Thai Boxer would have a different view ... I know some kung fu guys don't follow the rule and stay limp or stiff all the way through some strikes . Systema and more than a couple other arts have unique mechanics that I am not completely familiar with as well .

I was trying to coax some opposing view points out .
    I've been told to relax the muscles slightly when punching up until just before impact by boxing trainers, and when shooting by soccer coaches. Yeah, I know, I know, but I figure similiar biomechanics apply for a soccer kick.

Also, not only is it supposed to be faster, I know that it prevents me from tensing up too much and then getting tired later.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/05/2007 11:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    So far it looks thats way ... or at least it is an acceptable method to add to your delivery that works to help your endurance and more than likely punch faster/harder than throwing hands while they are tightly clinched the entire punch .

but if you are gotarded and leave them open when shelling up or answering the phone ... expect to get them jammed and fucked up occasionally

... oh and punching elbows with a relaxed loosely balled fist sucks ...
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast