Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 1:55pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tapoften
    and claimed his technique was legitimate because Hapkido is a 'real' art not a sport. F*ckers.
    LOL about as real as the Dan Jan and internal power of the Hapikdo Gods....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,muaythai,aikido,kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After training on small joint minipulation for 7 years I can tell you they wont win you a fight. Breaking a pinky will not end the fight, it might help. But the classes that teach this rarely mention that the adrenaline will over come all that. I broke my hand in a fight, so what about a pinky. Ya in class it sucks but I'm also not fighting.

In BJJ, they could obviously help. As could eye gouges and bites, but heres the thing, if you can get my eyes I can usually get yours, also positioning will help that. Biting, the same, I can bite you plus biting also comes down to how much pain you can eat. Eventually the person will black out from being choked.

The fingers break, its what they do so No, they wont win you a fight and if a girl breaks my finger if I was assulating her, all its gonna do is piss me off way more. she would need real training to stop a guy In my opinion

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll tell you guys one funny story since its relevant....

So my I took HKD for around 2 years. Swallowed most of the bullshit they teach you about grabs from the back, side, yadda yadda yadda..... well we did learn a few joint locks, that if you can get, and sink in, are pretty darn painful. I was in BJJ the other day and we were just free rolling. I was trying out some new sweeps I learned from guard and other subs. Well there was this one guy that would posture up on me each time, shoving his hands on my chest and holding me there. I waited for him to do it again, grabbed his hand, bent his elbow into his body and cranked down on the wrist. I don't remember what the move was, but the sound produces a cross between a womans fart, and a girly scream out of your opponent LOL. I have to say it was funny.

I'm not sure if he just didn't expect it? Or if it truly works, but it got the attention of the rest of the class, and we drilled it for fun for 10 min. We now call it "the ninja wrist exploder".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:21pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    I'm not sure if he just didn't expect it? Or if it truly works, but it got the attention of the rest of the class, and we drilled it for fun for 10 min. We now call it "the ninja wrist exploder".
    It's probably because he didn't see it coming.
    ****, even if i'll sound like a ******, i'll quote Sun Tzu. "All warfare is based on misdirection"

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:37pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The consensus I am detecting here is that Small joint manipulation (hereafter SJM, I'm sick of typing the full term) is a neat little trick to have in one's toolbox but much less important than good basics (big surprise there). I hardly expect a finger break to be a fight ender, but even so I prefer not to lose the chance for a good sub, not to mention I don't want my fingers broken, so I try to stay informed.

I think I'll take Virus' advice and do a little research into some SJM techniques (not wristlocks, which I will get to some other time; I'm talking about individual fingers). Could anyone suggest a good resource on the internet to get me started? Perhaps I'll find someone who knows their stuff to discuss this with in person sometime, but for now it'll be on the back burner.

Thanks for the discussion so far, I think people's shared views and especially anecdotes are of interest to any person who trains a grappling art and would like to be able to apply it in self-defense if appropriate. The fact that SJM is illegal in almost all combat sports is not lost on me; but I don't train only for competition. Surely you've worked on headbutts, low blows, or knees to the groin at some point, right? ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    Why don't you post a few photos or a video, so we can see how it's done? You could be famous. ;)

EDIT:
    P.S: Please don't pass judgement on the instructor in question. The suggestions they gave were in reply to a very vague explanation on my part of what a guillotine choke consists of, and were more blanket techniques to break a grapple than an attempt to refute the guillotine. Also, at the time I was elaborating on how you can get a slight advantage from wearing a Gi when applying a guillotine in that when you wrap the choke arm around the neck, you can grab your Gi collar with that hand in order to secure your hold while you move your other arm into position - so peeling the grip off with a pinky grab is a lot more feasible than in a sunk-in guillotine.
    Last edited by Epicurus; 10/03/2007 2:45pm at .
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a few people grab and twist my fingers when grappling. I usually handle this by stopping what I am doing and pull my hand out of their grasp then continue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is it.... but he was in my guard.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 2:56pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a bluebelt in my bjj class doing some mma sparing with a guy. They went to the ground and a few minutes later the blue belt had the other guy tapping. He then stood up, looked down at his own foot and his middle toe was pointing straight up in the air. He said "Wow, I thought I caught it on the mats, but I wasn't sure.". Then he reached down and winced as he put it back into place. He looked at me and asked if I wanted to spar. I was so grossed out by watching that I had to decline.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 3:07pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    I think I'll take Virus' advice and do a little research into some SJM techniques (not wristlocks, which I will get to some other time; I'm talking about individual fingers). Could anyone suggest a good resource on the internet to get me started?
    Here's what I know about finger locks:

1. You can hurt them by moving them too far in one (or a combination) of 5 ways - up, down, left, right or twisting

2. The thumb is a bit harder to hurt because its a bit stronger.

3. One finger might slip out of your grasp too easy. Two fingers are easier to keep hold of than one. 3 or more may be too strong.

In order to train them, just roll and grab a finger if you can. Don't look for finger grabs, just let them happen if they do. Don't over think them.

Mark

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 3:17pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wanabeshinobi
    "Real art you say?"

*Makes a flying armbar and snaps the arm*

"So it seems..."
    How bout you take up a martial art before you come back and post again.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast