1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    My name is carney, and I am a martial artsaholic.

    I fully expect to be thown off this forum for some reason my punch drunk brain cannot comprehend.
    I have practiced Tae Kwon Do for 20 years and in that time have managed to obtain a first degree black belt. I moved to Minnesota when the owner of the belt discovered it was missing.
    Presently, I practice traditional Karate and aikijujitsu with sadists. So far, I have chipped two teeth, torn my tight hamstring, sprained my left ankle, and bruised my wee wee. My teachers tell me that I am making great progress and then they push me into oncoming traffic.
    I've also begun training under a Systema practitioner with whom I'm very impressed. I'd like to know if anyone has experience with this style.

  2. #2
    KungFuBot
    Guest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! carney posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

  3. #3
    kwoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,984
    Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what to say. Wear a mouthguard and a cup, and warm up properly to avoid injuries. 20 years and only a first dan? You must have had one hell of a hardass instructor. BJJ black belts are made in shorter timespans than that as far as I know. (Or were you implying that you stole the belt?) And why if you do Karate is your style listed as TKD?

    Just curious.

    Regardless, welcome to Bullshido. I'm sure you'll have plenty of interesting views as a seemingly hardcore TMA practitioner (RARE).

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do Song Moo Kwan style in the late 70's. Shortly afterward my school closed down I was left on my own, somewhat. I still trained with my friends from the school, but higher level blackbelts were unavailable and so were Song Moo Kwan style schools. I recogonized a weakness in hand techniques and later joined a Ji Do Kwan school that combined boxing skills with traditional kicking. It was a different style and Korean organization. I was told that any other affiliation was worthless and I had to start again as a white belt. I practiced there until the school closed. I was a green belt in that system. I got disgusted with Tae Kwon do and myself. I quit martial arts for a few years, not wanting to start over again. I practiced only sporadically. I've lived in Minneapolis for 15 years and looked at every martial arts school in the twin cities. If I was going to start from scratch, I wanted something that was going to be worth the hours of daily practice I had put in before. I wish now that I had just picked something and gone with it. There was a Wing Chun school about 5 minutes walking distance from my home. It closed up after a while, but I met a student from that school recently and he said that the master of the school now, in its present location was a beginner when the school opened near me.
    The karate aikijujistu school I go to know is very hard core. If I'd known that about them years ago, I'd have joined then. Their use of the term, "Traditional," put me off. I thought it meant I'd be practicing forms endlessly with no sparring. I was wrong. By traditional, they meant full contact, bare-knuckle sparring and hard training. I have bruises all over after training there. I don't have to pay for belts. The head teacher just says," Dye your belt...whatever color." I still have a white belt, though. That's fine with me. My old skills are returning. Yes, I now wear a cup and a mouth protector. Having four of my front teeth loosened changed my mind on that subject.
    As far as getting a black belt goes, it took me five years the first time. However, if I wanted one in a year or less, I could take classes at Ballys where I lift weights. They have a class there. I've seen all of their students get a black belt in about a year and never spar... or learn to kick decently...or punch, with one or two exceptions.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,824
    Style
    Wing Chun, Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were disgusted with jidogwan and yourself why?

  6. #6
    kwoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley / Rochester
    Posts
    1,984
    Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    I earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do Song Moo Kwan style in the late 70's. Shortly afterward my school closed down I was left on my own, somewhat. I still trained with my friends from the school, but higher level blackbelts were unavailable and so were Song Moo Kwan style schools.
    okay, sounds good.

    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    I recogonized a weakness in hand techniques and later joined a Ji Do Kwan school that combined boxing skills with traditional kicking.
    So why the boxing then? Was there just nothing else around? Or are you implying that the Jidogwan changed your mind about hand techniques?

    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    It was a different style and Korean organization. I was told that any other affiliation was worthless and I had to start again as a white belt. I practiced there until the school closed. I was a green belt in that system.
    That sucks, two schools closing on you. Must have been a shitty area for martial arts.

    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    I got disgusted with Tae Kwon do and myself. I quit martial arts for a few years, not wanting to start over again.
    Do you mean disillusioned? Or are you just leaving out important details? Why were you disgusted?

    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    I practiced only sporadically. I've lived in Minneapolis for 15 years and looked at every martial arts school in the twin cities. If I was going to start from scratch, I wanted something that was going to be worth the hours of daily practice I had put in before. I wish now that I had just picked something and gone with it. There was a Wing Chun school about 5 minutes walking distance from my home. It closed up after a while, but I met a student from that school recently and he said that the master of the school now, in its present location was a beginner when the school opened near me.
    A third school closing? Are you attracted to financially unstable businesses? :5bouncy: How long were you practicing Wing Chun anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    The karate aikijujistu school I go to know is very hard core. If I'd known that about them years ago, I'd have joined then. Their use of the term, "Traditional," put me off. I thought it meant I'd be practicing forms endlessly with no sparring. I was wrong. By traditional, they meant full contact, bare-knuckle sparring and hard training. I have bruises all over after training there. I don't have to pay for belts. The head teacher just says," Dye your belt...whatever color." I still have a white belt, though. That's fine with me. My old skills are returning. Yes, I now wear a cup and a mouth protector. Having four of my front teeth loosened changed my mind on that subject.
    More power to you. You still never explained why you list TKD as your primary style. BTW it's "aikijujutsu" not "aikijujustu," but that's excusable since you appear to have posted this at 3:00 AM (or maybe 2:00 AM Minneapolis time).

    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    As far as getting a black belt goes, it took me five years the first time. However, if I wanted one in a year or less, I could take classes at Ballys where I lift weights. They have a class there. I've seen all of their students get a black belt in about a year and never spar... or learn to kick decently...or punch, with one or two exceptions.
    lol I agree about the Bally's thing. But if it took you five years to get your black belt, and you were only a green belt in Jidogwan, why did you say you have 20 years of TKD experience? The 15 years between then and now really doesn't count as training time...

    Sorry to pick your post apart, but I'm still kind of confused.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for KWOWW's boxing question, Ji Do Kwan was trying to become an Olympic sport. The hand style was essentially western boxing. Gloves and foot protection were worn during sparring. I was shocked when during my first sparring match, the other guy got angry when I punched him in the face. I was told there were no head shots, although I could kick to the head if I wanted. That seemed nuts to me. The senior student there was state champion, so I went along with it. Also the teachers were fantastic fighters. I took up boxing and kickboxing because I wanted head contact. I didn't want to get in a real fight and get clocked because I hadn't practiced defending my head. I found a gym where I could spar people of various styles full contact. Most of them were on their way to becoming pro fighters or were already so. I tried to get some of my younger Tae Kwon Do student friends from Cho's to try it out but they chickened out after watching the first bout.

    The 20 years of Tae Kwon Do refers to my having continually practiced Tae Kwon Do from the age of 13 until my mid thirties. I put in several hours a day alone and with others. I didn't have a school affiliation for ten years after my first school shut down. You might think of that as one year of experience twenty years in a row, but I fought and trained with a hell of a lot of good people during that time.
    The wing chun school closed down before I walked in the door. I never practiced it. I have recently been able to train with some of the students. They are very dedicated. I suck at Wing Chun. The way I move is so ingrained that I think I'd have to spend a year just getting past that. The Wing Chun school actually moved and is alive and well.

    AXELTON's question about why I became disgusted with myself and Tae Kwon Do: I trained with some masters who where younger than me and realized that I was never going to get near their level of perfection. They began training in Korea at very early ages and were trained under what we might consider brutal conditions. I saw myself getting older but not that much better.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,824
    Style
    Wing Chun, Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by carney
    well.

    AXELTON's question about why I became disgusted with myself and Tae Kwon Do: I trained with some masters who where younger than me and realized that I was never going to get near their level of perfection. They began training in Korea at very early ages and were trained under what we might consider brutal conditions. I saw myself getting older but not that much better.
    Thats a shame to hear. I'm sure if you would have stuck with it, those masters would have helped you greatly.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sitting here with a master. We faught for and hour or so. He laughed at your e-mail.
    ]

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    10
    Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Axelton: I just looked at my last post to you and realized that it was rude and uncalled for. I'm very sorry. While what I said was true, I shouldn't have said it. I've practiced various martial arts with masters of those arts. They practice with me (for free) because they see me as an equal of sorts. I'm not a master of their particular arts, but when we spar, we score fairly evenly. (Except for grappling arts. I'm a newby there.)
    I want to thank you and Kwoww for welcoming me to this forum.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in