Cheers

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 6:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chen style taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main point: You kept your head and defended your family successfully (assuming the story is true, and based on the tenor of your posts I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt). Why? I'm willing to bet it's because your BJJ training puts you under stress against an uncooperative opponent. Don't know if your TSD training had a similar component, but if so it furthers the point of the folks on this site. In any event, your TSD training had enough aliveness to supply you with the tools to get the job done. You will fight the way you train, regardless of the art. (I'm almost 50 and train in internal CMA. When someone in a push hands class or tournament gets knocked on his butt and complains about "excessive force," it makes me crazy.) Good for you.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingtsd
    We are not sure why he attacked us. He appeared to be mentally ill. The police officer told me he was homeless and had a history of problems. It was not like I was fighting Jet Li I outweighed him by 25 pounds or so.
    So was your life actually in danger or just inconvienced?

I think a great deal of the misconception about this place comes from what is posted here. You actually have a *insert art* sucks month. I think the spirit of what is done here is very comendable but the delivery has a lot to be desired.
    Delivery works great. It yeilds good results. The problem is some don't like nor comprehend them.

It seems many here seem to get insuleted if anyone challenges their authority. I have taken a couple of hours to look around your site and I think there are many interesting points here but most of this does not interest me.
    OK. Its not like anyone going to hold your feet to the fire. There are other forums out there. You can find one you like.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

poser

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:18pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The *insert art* sucks month rips on just about everybody, though. Grow a thicker skin, it's a joke.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are not sure why he attacked us. He appeared to be mentally ill. The police officer told me he was homeless and had a history of problems. It was not like I was fighting Jet Li I outweighed him by 25 pounds or so.

I think a great deal of the misconception about this place comes from what is posted here. You actually have a *insert art* sucks month. I think the spirit of what is done here is very comendable but the delivery has a lot to be desired.

It seems many here seem to get insuleted if anyone challenges their authority. I have taken a couple of hours to look around your site and I think there are many interesting points here but most of this does not interest me.

I hope I have not offended anyone.
    Welcome to Bullshido, and well done in that street fight.

"XXXX sucks month" is basically an excuse for satire. Bullshido has a history of irreverance and insulting banter is part of the culture on some (not all) of the forums here.

I agree with you re. the spirit of the site; exposing cases of genuine fraud, pseudo-science etc. in the martial arts worlds is a noble task in an essentially unregulated industry. However, there are only so many Ashida Kims and Yellow Bamboo psychic knock-out artists out there, so the "mission" tends to dilute.

In extreme cases, the worst of Bullshido is basically naive (often young) people laughing at things that they don't understand. Youngsters can also be inclined to paint in very broad strokes - "TMA sux" is often code for "what I understand about traditional martial arts doesn't gel with what I believe about real fighting" - and they can be inclined to miss several vital points re. context.

A case in point would be a very unfortunate incident a few years ago, when a practitioner of traditional Sikh martial arts posted a link to a video clip of his style in action and was instantly flamed with such ignorant, racist vitriol that he never returned to the site.

However, the story didn't stop there. The guy who flamed this poster was taken to task by other forum members in the same no-holds-barred manner, in an uncensored mega-thread; he ended up apologizing for some, though not all, of his comments.

Since then, there's been a serious effort to clean things up, reserving the silliness and insults to certain forums (especially this one) and encouraging more serious (skeptical) discussion on most of the others.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gino
    When someone in a push hands class or tournament gets knocked on his butt and complains about "excessive force," it makes me crazy.
    Word.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I studied Tang Soo Do now
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rockingtsd - Saw this thread when you first posted it, glad to hear you and yours are safe.

Are we so uptight we can't laugh at ourselves?
    Since the start of the YMAS series, I've seen an influx of people of that specific art join the forum and tell us how funny it was.
    I would also say most people here do a 'TMA' or have done it. The 'hate,' at least speaking for myself personally, is that unrealistic training methods taught as effective for self-defense or fighting. Do we need to chamber our fists at your armpits/hips when we punch? (that's me in my avatar btw!)

I hope I have not offended anyone.
    I appreciate you taking the time to read a couple of hours. What threads most interested you?

Don't forget to check out the Style Forums, link located at the top. It is more for 'Traditional Martial Arts' or whatever you'd like to call them.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 10:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A fellow student referred me to this site and I think this place is a hoot!

First, a little about me. I am over 30, never been in the pro ring, wrestled in junior high and sucked at it, and started taking BJJ about 19 months ago. I hold a black belt in Tang Soo Do and three months ago my fiance, myself, and her daughter were attacked coming out a restaurant by a man who just started pummeling me.

Now I am a novice at all this internet jazz but based on what I have seen here there seems to be a great deal of hatred for traditional stylists. To be frank I am glad I was trained in Tang Soo Do. When the man started hitting me I covered up, backed off, and through a kick. It slowed him long enough to throw a jab and a heel palm to his nose. My fiance and her daughter ran back to the restaurant and I through a couple of more successful shots before a bystander stepped into help.

I am glad I have studied Tang Soo Do and glad I new enough BJJ to stay off the ground. I do not understand why there is so much hate here for Korean Arts, traditional karate, and other uncool, non mixed martial arts style subjects but I hope my story might help some here understand that you do not have to be Nick Diaz or Tito Ortiz to defend yourself.

By the way the man that attack me did not land another blow after I threw my first kick.
    I too started out in Moo Duk Kwan systems, and then left for BJJ. The problem with Korean "TMAs" has been well elucidated in these posts - overwhelming amount of dead training, a hierarchial pyramid structure that is cultlike, and also irrelevant junk like memorizing the philosophical rantings of long dead flower boys. And there's alot of stuff that's simply just dumb - ie the typical one step where you cresent kick a fucking punch...

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 10:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    a fucking punch.
    I don't think I'm familiar with that technique, are there any videos of it we can reference?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast