Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 1:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus
    Everything Lily said is good, and one thing that works for me is burpees. They work a couple muscle groups, but the main thing is that they're really good for getting you breathing hard in a short amount of time.

Maybe try doing as many burpees as you can in 15 seconds, and then gradually increase the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta
    Oh man, I haven't done burpees in a long time, though I never thought of it as a cardiovascular exercise. I'm definitely going to try them out as well.
    how do burpee?

-- El Macho: I edited this to add the quotes by Detritus and MastaFighta.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/02/2007 2:55pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier
    how do burpee?
    Ask and ye shall receive my child (I have no clue if that sounded like Old Engrish but WTF)

This is a burpee (or more precisely this is a clip with a 2-minute burpee challenge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tn0rXWZ-qU

Other, crazier versions of burpees:

Burpee snatch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8irBtnvZdgM

Single leg burpee with dumbbells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaE8f25OjZc
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow... I tried one and pulled my everything... i am typing this with only finger now... any tips on how to do this properlY? (i dunno if i shoudl start a new thread...)

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier
    wow... I tried one and pulled my everything... i am typing this with only finger now... any tips on how to do this properlY? (i dunno if i shoudl start a new thread...)
    Ask and ye shall receive... culled from here :)

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60826
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/02/2007 3:01pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:16pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Ask and ye shall receive my child (I have no clue if that sounded like Old Engrish but WTF)

This is a burpee (or more precisely this is a clip with a 2-minute burpee challenge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tn0rXWZ-qU
    I don't care if he did more burpees than I can in 2 minutes. HE'S WEARING MAN-PRIS!!!!

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the heck did you pull when you tried it? You should start slowly, not trying to rush through the movement. There are two movements that you need to do:

1. From a standing position, squat down, puts your hands on the floor and shoot your feet behind until you are in a push up position.

2. From a push-up position, jump your feet up and bring your knees to your chest, and then get up.

3. Squat down, back straight and looking up with your hands touching the floor. From there, jump. When you land from the jump, make sure you land with the ball of your feet and you flex your knees as you bring your hips down to the starting position. This is to avoid shocking your knees. If you jump and you land flat on your feet, that's bad **** for you. Imagine your legs as being a pair of springs that absorb the shock of your body as it lands from the jump.

Drill each of these items in isolation if that makes you feel more comfortable, and then you can put them together into a single burpee. Also, if you have knee problems, you can just put movements 1 and 2 together, skipping the jump altogether.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to try these. Reminds me of some TKD drills I have done in the past. The one where you run in place and drop when a certain word or number is called, or you do sets of push ups when someone screams out a word.

poser

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 6:21pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are squat thrusts, polish, which are pretty fun to [watch other people suffer while they] do [them].

Registered Member

Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:46pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    The snatch form in this is ****. I hate when people do the "stompy foot" thing and seem to think that equals (or makes up for not) getting under the weight fast enough, he deserves to go over on his ass just so he learns to plant and drop.

Anyhow, another variation which is fun is get a moderately heavy (or whatever weight you'll find challenging) med ball, place it about a foot in front of you when you're upright. After you've dropped to push-up, kicked out, pushed up and brought your legs back under you, grab the ball with both hands as you spring up out of the squat and reach up as high as you can above your head with it. As you land and drop back down for the next kick-out-and-push-up, place the ball back in front of you. Rinse and repeat.

Weak

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 9:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just want to thank Teh El Macho for more great posts. It kills me to see el stupidos at the gym doing things with BAD FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast