Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yong Soo Park Gets Beat On.

His latest matches against Musashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HPctJUZjx4

and LeBanner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDdFcHm9r8

Both losses. I don't think Park is at a level where he can compete with these guys yet, but damn, he moves well for a big man. He was minning on points with Musashi in my opinion until he got KO'ed, and his guard looks a little better, but he still has a tendancy to drop the hands.

LeBanner, however, is in a different league. The guy can take beatings, and Park looked like he wasn't putting anything into his kicks against the Frenchman, who walked right though them and came up with a big KO with an overhand right to couter a back leg turning kick.

Park could do well, but I think they fed him to top fighters before he was close to being ready in hopes of a KO and Koreans creaming their pants.

It was silly for him to take these fights right now IMO.

EDIT: Also, I've start started following K1, and began watching lots of fights and I'm unsure of how the org works. This is Park's third loss in a row, including his desicion loss to Kaoklai. He done with K1 now, or will the org keep him on to get some more journeyman experience?

Or do they just host these tournaments with no farm leagues for up and coming talent?
    Last edited by Slydermv; 10/02/2007 2:59pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the tournaments they hold in various countries are usually farms for talent. well, marketability anyway.

his fight vs lebanner was horrible. walking backward with your arms by your sides throwing leg kicks has to be the worst thing i can possibly think of doing against a fighter like lebanner. he needs to drink bleach and fire his coach

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree totally. In other ifghts he looks like he was at least improving. Against LeBanner he look worse then his first couple of fights against cans.

Maybe the nerves got to him and he just reverted back to his original training? Either way... it was bad... but LeBanner is also cream of the crop as well. He'd KO most people in the first round...

poser

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:13pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is old news. The conclusion, iirc, was that TKD alone is not viable in kickboxing or MMA, even if it is trained properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that fact that he fights in K1 and has some decent wins or desicion losses is proof enough that TKD can be effective in a kick boxing arena with a little boxing mixed in.

But.... I wasn't really trying to make that point. Just posting up some video of a former TKD player for those who might be intrested in following his fights. So while it might be old news to you... others on the board might find it intresting or informative

So... **** off... and good day to you sir!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    few tkdists train the way he does, few have the natural talent he does. if he was trained in a decent kickboxing gym i would guarantee he would be a shitload better than he is.

tkd sucks

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 10:56am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to have to agree with Alex about a kickboxing gym. His hands are terrible, yet with his size he should have an awesome jab and cross. He does very snappy kicks, which are quick, but don't have nearly the penetration power. Look at Musashi just wading through his kicks. That just won't happen if he was throwing with more power. He's got to commit with his body to the kick, and not just flick his hips and leg. With his leg length, he should be leveling guys a la Ernesto Hoost.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure... he would be better served if he started in a kick boxing or thai gym. I'm not trying to dispute that. Or that fact that there are a million mcdojo's out there. This guy is a profession martial artist who trains hard, unlike 95% of people in TKD who are just hobbiests or learn self defence crap. I'm sure most of his training consisted mostly of pad work, sparring and conditioning under the WTF ruleset prior to K1.

But he moves well, and has shown his skills to be adaptable. With some more cross training I believe he can do quite well. It really is of intrest to me, as a hobbiest, cause it's the way I'm going. A TKD base training in a less restrictive rule set now. Personally I find it intresting to see what TKDesque strategies are working and which are not. Do you find he moves different, sets up his attacks different or uses different attach then your typical Thai or kick boxer?

I'm really not trying to post this video up and say TKD is effective outside of it's ruleset... but just to find out what people think he's doing right... what is working... and what licks bag and just for general intrest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never got the impression that he was properly-trained. Sure he is a member of a semi-national TKD team, but what does that team do exactly? Break boards, perform demos, spar with heavy paddings?

And he keeps dropping his hands under WTF ruleset. So yeah, he wasn't thoroughly prepared for kickboxing matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe he was an olympic alternate... so he's prolly as high a level TKD guy you can get aside from a medalist
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast