Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 8:03pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hung gar style???

i ma fight against a hung gar fighter but the biggest problem is that i cant find any hung gar sparring over the net can anyone give me an example of what striking they do????

poser

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 8:43pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*

If there's no sparring on the Internet they probably don't spar. Ask your San Da coach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    *sigh*

If there's no sparring on the Internet they probably don't spar. Ask your San Da coach.
    that means i cant find out how they will hit and my coach is in china i am so screwed does anyone on this forum do hung gar i need to check the style out

poser

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 9:13pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I think a few guys here do Hun Gar (or however you spell it). Check out the CMA forum.

When is the fight?

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dude....

PM Ming Loyalist and Killing Moon. Like, yesterday. They both do Hung Ga.
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and ignorant;
    they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 12:57am

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    *sigh*

If hes competing then obviously he spars dipshit. I cant stand all you fuckers stuck on the idea that Youtube is the answer to everything.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 1:36am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sparred a hung gar guy, and have experience in similar kung fu styles. My strategy against a traditional southern kung fu fighter: attack the head and legs. Lots of kung fu stylists train for hard contact to the body, but not so much to the legs and head. I like savate straight kicks to the legs as opposed to low roundkicks (these are emphasized in southern kung fu partially because round kicks are defended with more direct groin kicks, but I don't know many people that can convert this to sportfighting, and it can be done). They often have long, rooted stances that can be easy to kick. The head tends to be somewhat unprotected, because in addition to low hands, the chin is usually up and the shoulders down, but don't think that just because they don't cover like a boxer you can easilly attack the head. Under san da or MMA rules, the sideways stance with limited mobility can be exploited by taking the back for takedowns (takedowns from behind work well against classical training in my experience, but others from the front may have varying success against a good kung fu player). Don't leave your punches out there to be manipulated- pull them back faster than they go out, and make sure you keep moving- southern styles sometimes develop bridging methods to trap your limbs so they can hit you (think hockey fighting, not wing chun). These can often be negated by staying somewhat square instead of sideways and by keeping mobile (I've tried to work some of that stuff at the Throwdowns, but most bullshido people keep the mobile square MT type stance).
    The wrench in the works, among other things, is this- this all assumes they are trying to use traditional kung fu methods, and many kung fu people that actually compete in things like san da or pankration don't fight with horse stances and chambered fist etc (I've met a few people who can kick some ass with some traditional looking stuff). They have a muay thai/boxing type structure with throws. Really its hard to say what to expect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I've sparred a hung gar guy, and have experience in similar kung fu styles. My strategy against a traditional southern kung fu fighter: attack the head and legs. Lots of kung fu stylists train for hard contact to the body, but not so much to the legs and head. I like savate straight kicks to the legs as opposed to low roundkicks (these are emphasized in southern kung fu partially because round kicks are defended with more direct groin kicks, but I don't know many people that can convert this to sportfighting, and it can be done). They often have long, rooted stances that can be easy to kick. The head tends to be somewhat unprotected, because in addition to low hands, the chin is usually up and the shoulders down, but don't think that just because they don't cover like a boxer you can easilly attack the head. Under san da or MMA rules, the sideways stance with limited mobility can be exploited by taking the back for takedowns (takedowns from behind work well against classical training in my experience, but others from the front may have varying success against a good kung fu player). Don't leave your punches out there to be manipulated- pull them back faster than they go out, and make sure you keep moving- southern styles sometimes develop bridging methods to trap your limbs so they can hit you (think hockey fighting, not wing chun). These can often be negated by staying somewhat square instead of sideways and by keeping mobile (I've tried to work some of that stuff at the Throwdowns, but most bullshido people keep the mobile square MT type stance).
    The wrench in the works, among other things, is this- this all assumes they are trying to use traditional kung fu methods, and many kung fu people that actually compete in things like san da or pankration don't fight with horse stances and chambered fist etc (I've met a few people who can kick some ass with some traditional looking stuff). They have a muay thai/boxing type structure with throws. Really its hard to say what to expect.
    alright thanks

the fight is sappose to be october the 13th lets hope my boxing/judo training can help me

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Codos has saved this thread from Git-mo!

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    ...The wrench in the works, among other things, is this- this all assumes they are trying to use traditional kung fu methods, and many kung fu people that actually compete in things like san da or pankration don't fight with horse stances and chambered fist etc (I've met a few people who can kick some ass with some traditional looking stuff). They have a muay thai/boxing type structure with throws. Really its hard to say what to expect.
    quoted for truth.

i answered your PM, but you didn't make it clear that you were fighting this person under san da rules (are you, everyone on this thread thinks you are anyway.)

if this is a sport fight, then i wouldn't expect them to fight any differently than most others under the san da ruleset.

typically hung ga(r) fighters don't like to kick high, but you can't count on that (my sifu loves to kick people in the head when they think he won't cause he is a southern stylist.)

like i said in my PM, if you can get me more info on the school they come from i may be able to help with strategy.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast