Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 2:19pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bitparity, that makes alot of sense. As someone who needs better cardio, I will remember my 'mental game'. Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 2:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll find the thread. If you are going to swim there is a good book that can help you. Many people don't swim correctly so, they don't get the proper cardio work out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 11:17pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All good advice. I would also ask the question of, "What's your goal?" I mean, if your goal is to throw a shotput farther than anyone else you know, not much aerobics needed. If you're just trying to lose weight and get in a little better shape, moderate aerobics needed. If you're getting back into fighting, you need to concentrate on the glycolytic/aerobic side of exercising.

First up, do you have any knee or back injuries? If you do, you might not want to jog and switch to ellipticycle. Not as manly, but still a good workout. Additionally, if you're trying to lose weight, I find that the ellipticycle allows you to go on a lot longer than jogging even at a slow rate of speed. I dropped forty pounds I gained coming off a back injury mostly through the use of the ellipticycle. Downside, it's not great at cardio gains, even using it for up to an hour, it didn't help my running when I took the APFT. (:icon_evil)

I also used Bas Rutten's MMA workout as a supplement to running with some good effects. I switched the exercises, but just used his timing and general categories. E.g. instead of hitting the pads for a minute, I would jump-rope for a minute sometimes. Others, I would hit a speed bag for a minute. Switch the jumping squat with burpees, etc.

If you're training for fighting, then it's a lot of bag work, coupled with sparring, jump roping, sprinting, pad work, etc. that will get you ready.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 12:00am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    All good advice. I would also ask the question of, "What's your goal?" I mean, if your goal is to throw a shotput farther than anyone else you know, not much aerobics needed. If you're just trying to lose weight and get in a little better shape, moderate aerobics needed. If you're getting back into fighting, you need to concentrate on the glycolytic/aerobic side of exercising.

First up, do you have any knee or back injuries? If you do, you might not want to jog and switch to ellipticycle. Not as manly, but still a good workout. Additionally, if you're trying to lose weight, I find that the ellipticycle allows you to go on a lot longer than jogging even at a slow rate of speed. I dropped forty pounds I gained coming off a back injury mostly through the use of the ellipticycle. Downside, it's not great at cardio gains, even using it for up to an hour, it didn't help my running when I took the APFT. ()

I also used Bas Rutten's MMA workout as a supplement to running with some good effects. I switched the exercises, but just used his timing and general categories. E.g. instead of hitting the pads for a minute, I would jump-rope for a minute sometimes. Others, I would hit a speed bag for a minute. Switch the jumping squat with burpees, etc.

If you're training for fighting, then it's a lot of bag work, coupled with sparring, jump roping, sprinting, pad work, etc. that will get you ready.
    I don't really have a specific goal, but I guess aiming to be better than I am now (and used to be) would be enough. Like I stated, I was never someone with a good cardiovascular system, so it would be really nice to be able to not get winded so easily like I have most of my life.

As for knee or back injuries, I have none.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy any exercise equipment, so I'm stuck with what I have. What I have is a self-spotting weight bench, a Olympic bar, a swimming pool in my backyard, jump rope, curl bar, two 10 lbs dumb bells and a bike trail near my neighborhood's park that is pretty long. I used to have a standing kicking bag, but I could no longer use it because the plastic that made up the base was broken in numerous places. I was looking at getting a heavy bag but I have no where to hang it from. Then I tried looking at heavy bag stands, but I wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I'll find the thread. If you are going to swim there is a good book that can help you. Many people don't swim correctly so, they don't get the proper cardio work out.
    I would really appreciate it. I've been looking at books on swimming for some time now, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    MastaFighta - mmm, from what you've said previously I think you should not bother with burpees till you can work out for a minimum of 20 minutes without gassing. No offence, but 10 burpees done properly would probably kill you.
    No offense taken. I could barely do a minute of shadow boxing without getting exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    There were a lot of good suggestions here. I think if you are gassing that quickly your cardio may be worse than you think. Start off with a 30 minute walk at a comfortable speed. It that goes ok try picking up the pace. Once you a walking at a good clip for 30 minutes start mixing some jogging, not running, in. We you can jog the whole 30 minutes then start doing some of the more advanced stuff. Youve got to build up your foundation first.
    I used to walk for an hour in the morning and in the afternoon during the weekdays when I was still in school. It never tired me out, but whenever I would go jogging on the weekend, I barely jogged three blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    Words from a fellow out-of-shape fatass:

I think you're actually doing fine. Cardio is more about how's your stamina in comparison to yourself before. Unfortunately, when you're doing cardio around guys who're in better shape than you, it'll look like you're being lazy, when in fact you're probably working your heart just as hard if not harder.

The bottom line for cardio isn't how many jumps or burpees or whatever you're doing. It's that when you're done you should be ass on the floor, sweat forming a body sized pool, breathing so heavy you want to die, and then pushing yourself for more. :)

Just because Tito Ortiz can do the workout you're gassing out over without breaking a sweat doesn't mean it's helping his cardio, because his heart rate hasn't even risen. Getting "good" at a particular set of cardio exercises is the antithesis to developing stamina. That's why pros are always varying their routines, so their bodies can't adapt, and their heart rate is constantly having to work. That's why Tito does all his cardio training at 5,000 feet. Because even he needs that extra edge to give himself a challenge.

So basically, give whatever routine you decide on 110%. And next week, push it to more. You should always feel as tired if not more tired than the first time you tried a routine in order to be gaining more stamina. If you start thinking "wow, this is turning into a cake walk," you're not doing it right.

Then whenever you go back to your original routine, it will feel so easy, and you'll KNOW your cardio has improved.

Don't forget to develop some mental game too. You can't do good cardio without a strong inner voice pushing you for more.
    Good thing I train at home in my garage. I don't have to worry about looking good among my peers. My mental game isn't too bad if I had to say so myself, though I try not to push myself too hard since I tend to overdo it and come really close to passing out.

Thanks for the replies so far, I really appreciate it. I never got this kind of advice over at the FightingArts forums, so once again, I really appreciate it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12