Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 5:43pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Talk About Out of Shape

About a week ago, I decided to get back to working out since I started to notice the effects of sitting on my ass all day, everyday. However, the problem is that I haven't exercised in about three or so months. I started off doing light exercises everyday, nothing too strenous (or at least I thought).

When it came time to do jump roping, I figured I would be able to at least do three rounds (three minutes each). Wouldn't you know it, I barely made it to the end of the first round. My arms were tired, I was breathing heavily and my feet were burning, good times. So, for the rest of the week, I tried going beyond one round of jump roping, but I was never in any condition to do another round.

I figured I should try the next best thing, shadow boxing. Wouldn't you know it, I couldn't even make it past the first round.

So, now I'm here looking for suggestions on how I can improve my cardiovascular fitness.

I've never been someone with a strong cardiovascular system, even when I was exercising. It was one of the things I lacked pretty badly in. One lap around my high schools track (I forget how long it was) of steady jogging was enough to tire me out back when I was in high school.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Swim

2. Cycle

3. Interval cardio eg.

Run 1 min
    Power walk 1 min
    Run 1 min
    Power walk 1 min

(you can use shorter intervals like 30 seconds and do a Sprint-Jog-Sprint, or Run-Walk-Run etc. and build up the length of time you work out for. Eventually you can increase your interval times and intensity of your workouts by including hill sprints etc.)

Use the same principle for skipping.

I know most of the guys will chime in with weight related exercises but the above done 3-5 times a week will at least get you started on improving your cardio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 8:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I really appreciate the reply, thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything Lily said is good, and one thing that works for me is burpees. They work a couple muscle groups, but the main thing is that they're really good for getting you breathing hard in a short amount of time.

Maybe try doing as many burpees as you can in 15 seconds, and then gradually increase the time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus
    Everything Lily said is good, and one thing that works for me is burpees. They work a couple muscle groups, but the main thing is that they're really good for getting you breathing hard in a short amount of time.

Maybe try doing as many burpees as you can in 15 seconds, and then gradually increase the time?
    Oh man, I haven't done burpees in a long time, though I never thought of it as a cardiovascular exercise. I'm definitely going to try them out as well.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 1:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta
    Oh man, I haven't done burpees in a long time, though I never thought of it as a cardiovascular exercise. I'm definitely going to try them out as well.
    MastaFighta - mmm, from what you've said previously I think you should not bother with burpees till you can work out for a minimum of 20 minutes without gassing. No offence, but 10 burpees done properly would probably kill you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 2:22am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Safety in training is the most important thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 3:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont forget to jump rope..............

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 10:10am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MastaFighta
    About a week ago, I decided to get back to working out since I started to notice the effects of sitting on my ass all day, everyday. However, the problem is that I haven't exercised in about three or so months. I started off doing light exercises everyday, nothing too strenous (or at least I thought).

When it came time to do jump roping, I figured I would be able to at least do three rounds (three minutes each). Wouldn't you know it, I barely made it to the end of the first round. My arms were tired, I was breathing heavily and my feet were burning, good times. So, for the rest of the week, I tried going beyond one round of jump roping, but I was never in any condition to do another round.

I figured I should try the next best thing, shadow boxing. Wouldn't you know it, I couldn't even make it past the first round.

So, now I'm here looking for suggestions on how I can improve my cardiovascular fitness.

I've never been someone with a strong cardiovascular system, even when I was exercising. It was one of the things I lacked pretty badly in. One lap around my high schools track (I forget how long it was) of steady jogging was enough to tire me out back when I was in high school.
    There were a lot of good suggestions here. I think if you are gassing that quickly your cardio may be worse than you think. Start off with a 30 minute walk at a comfortable speed. It that goes ok try picking up the pace. Once you a walking at a good clip for 30 minutes start mixing some jogging, not running, in. We you can jog the whole 30 minutes then start doing some of the more advanced stuff. Youve got to build up your foundation first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 11:57am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Words from a fellow out-of-shape fatass:

I think you're actually doing fine. Cardio is more about how's your stamina in comparison to yourself before. Unfortunately, when you're doing cardio around guys who're in better shape than you, it'll look like you're being lazy, when in fact you're probably working your heart just as hard if not harder.

The bottom line for cardio isn't how many jumps or burpees or whatever you're doing. It's that when you're done you should be ass on the floor, sweat forming a body sized pool, breathing so heavy you want to die, and then pushing yourself for more. :)

Just because Tito Ortiz can do the workout you're gassing out over without breaking a sweat doesn't mean it's helping his cardio, because his heart rate hasn't even risen. Getting "good" at a particular set of cardio exercises is the antithesis to developing stamina. That's why pros are always varying their routines, so their bodies can't adapt, and their heart rate is constantly having to work. That's why Tito does all his cardio training at 5,000 feet. Because even he needs that extra edge to give himself a challenge.

So basically, give whatever routine you decide on 110%. And next week, push it to more. You should always feel as tired if not more tired than the first time you tried a routine in order to be gaining more stamina. If you start thinking "wow, this is turning into a cake walk," you're not doing it right.

Then whenever you go back to your original routine, it will feel so easy, and you'll KNOW your cardio has improved.

Don't forget to develop some mental game too. You can't do good cardio without a strong inner voice pushing you for more.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast