Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 4:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Traditional Korean Style Saved My p0sterior

A fellow student referred me to this site and I think this place is a hoot!

First, a little about me. I am over 30, never been in the pro ring, wrestled in junior high and sucked at it, and started taking BJJ about 19 months ago. I hold a black belt in Tang Soo Do and three months ago my fiance, myself, and her daughter were attacked coming out a restaurant by a man who just started pummeling me.

Now I am a novice at all this internet jazz but based on what I have seen here there seems to be a great deal of hatred for traditional stylists. To be frank I am glad I was trained in Tang Soo Do. When the man started hitting me I covered up, backed off, and through a kick. It slowed him long enough to throw a jab and a heel palm to his nose. My fiance and her daughter ran back to the restaurant and I through a couple of more successful shots before a bystander stepped into help.

I am glad I have studied Tang Soo Do and glad I new enough BJJ to stay off the ground. I do not understand why there is so much hate here for Korean Arts, traditional karate, and other uncool, non mixed martial arts style subjects but I hope my story might help some here understand that you do not have to be Nick Diaz or Tito Ortiz to defend yourself.

By the way the man that attack me did not land another blow after I threw my first kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 4:59pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did the man attack you anyway? Sounds a bit improbable situation without any background, but good on you.

I think TMA gets a bad rap around here mostly because they tend to teach rigid, nonpractical techniques, and have next to none sparring training. Also, there's a metric fuckton of Mcdojos where the teachers have no goddamn clue what they are doing.
    The training matters more than the style.
    IMO, a lot rests on the individual. A retard can do 10 years of BJJ and Muay Thai but still lose to a bright guy who just took his first boxing lesson.

God damnit. I am rambling. sleep. now.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's a "traditional Korean style"?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tang Soo Do is definitely not a "traditional Korean art" Its an amalgamation that grew out of the events after WII.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:13pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your story is true (and I hope you understand why I am hesitant to believe it outright), then congratulations on handling yourself well.

The reason so many people here hate on traditional styles in general is because these styles frequently claim to be the best and to instill great fighting ability while simultaneously training poorly and offering terrible advice (physical conditioning not important, sparring not important, aliveness not important, you will not get taken to the ground if you use crescent steps, your palm strike will shatter bones, etc.).

Of course the above are blanket statements, and many traditional schools teach perfectly viable techniques in a good, alive manner. But that is not the norm.

Traditional styles are guilty of mass fraud against people who hoped to learn to fight and instead seemingly learned to make excuses.

Welcome to the forums!
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heya

theres alot of us here too that practice "traditional" styles too so its not just MMA/ those from Grappling and Muay Thai backgrounds

knocking TMA. that tends to be a common misconception to people who come to the forum. nothing wrong with TMA (well...some of them lol). its the misguided, bastardized, black belt factory type training methods

that people knock. and for TMA......it has the largest population of people with these training methods who propagate what the above posters stated

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingtsd

First, a little about me. I am over 30, never been in the pro ring, wrestled in junior high and sucked at it, and started taking BJJ about 19 months ago. I hold a black belt in Tang Soo Do and three months ago my fiance, myself, and her daughter were attacked coming out a restaurant by a man who just started pummeling me.

Now I am a novice at all this internet jazz but based on what I have seen here there seems to be a great deal of hatred for traditional stylists. To be frank I am glad I was trained in Tang Soo Do. When the man started hitting me I covered up, backed off, and through a kick. It slowed him long enough to throw a jab and a heel palm to his nose. My fiance and her daughter ran back to the restaurant and I through a couple of more successful shots before a bystander stepped into help.

I am glad I have studied Tang Soo Do and glad I new enough BJJ to stay off the ground. I do not understand why there is so much hate here for Korean Arts, traditional karate, and other uncool, non mixed martial arts style subjects but I hope my story might help some here understand that you do not have to be Nick Diaz or Tito Ortiz to defend yourself.

By the way the man that attack me did not land another blow after I threw my first kick.

Good job! Maybe we can stop looking at the martial art itself and just congrat your fighting!

Cool!

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, where do all these people live that crazy people just start pummeling them in front of women and little girls (always little girls!)?

I used to walk around the Lower East Side of Manhattan, pre-gentrification, drunk out of my mind and holding hundred dollar bills in my MOUTH at 2AM and never had a problem with some random person just showing up and throwing fists.

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 5:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did the man attack you anyway? Sounds a bit improbable situation without any background, but good on you.
    We are not sure why he attacked us. He appeared to be mentally ill. The police officer told me he was homeless and had a history of problems. It was not like I was fighting Jet Li I outweighed him by 25 pounds or so.

I think a great deal of the misconception about this place comes from what is posted here. You actually have a *insert art* sucks month. I think the spirit of what is done here is very comendable but the delivery has a lot to be desired.

It seems many here seem to get insuleted if anyone challenges their authority. I have taken a couple of hours to look around your site and I think there are many interesting points here but most of this does not interest me.

I hope I have not offended anyone.
    Last edited by rockingtsd; 10/02/2007 6:01pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 6:00pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingtsd

I don't understand where all these TMA's get the idea that we hate them? I came from a Karate background as well as other KMA's. I don't hate any of them? I just chose to go to a more cross trained approach to things. I am glad you got your guard up right away.... lord help you if you started bouncing around with your hands to your side Kia'ing as loud as humanly possible.... I belive that situation would have been different if you ahd. No one said you had to be a MMA player, or UFC champ to defend yourself either. I have seen plenty of fights where someone who knew nothing, faired very well if not defeated someone with "knowledge in other arts".

It really comes down tot the fight in the dog in most cases, and who wants it more. What kind of area do you live in where someone just attacks you for no reason with a woman and child out of a restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    What's a "traditional Korean style"?
    LOL.... ass :)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast