Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:24pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me personally, the most useful training I have received is from bjj. However I think other martial arts have alot of good things to offer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 12:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeKwonSubie
    OK I'm not trying to stir up any hornet's nest here. I'm just here to display my general life-long confusion about martial arts and what is the best way to go. I've been told that it depends on what your goal is: physical fitness, competition, etc.. But that answer does not satisfy. Still, why study any martial art? I guess the answer comes down to "what's in it for me?"

I've run into people who have it all figured out. Just study TKD and that will give you everything you need, they say. Others disagree and say because Bruce Lee began in Wing Chun that is the best way to go. Oh but lest we forget he created Jeet Kune Do so that's better, right? Then we have MMA and Jiu Jitsu. Just watch a style vs. style video and you'll see first hand how it wipes out any other style. Then you have Muay Thai, Pankration, Pentjak Silat and so many others. If you were walking through a strip mall and saw one school for every martial art ever known there which school would you walk into and why?

I think my basic problem is that while I do study TKD I worry that if confronted by someone would I be able to defind myself? Of course, the answer to that is: "it all depends". Well screw that! I want to KNOW I will beat the attacker and come out alive. Maybe the answer I'm seeking is based on asking the wrong questions? I don't know- please help me!
    No style is complete, nor it will ever be, so no style is better, so it dosen't matter which you pick. But real self defence is serious its something that not every school practice it, some do it for sport others for fitness, but there are those, though little they are, do it for actual "surviving in life". But you see, depend on what style you choose is the edge in combat you'll get. You will win if you have the right tools for that job, and no style offer all the tools you'll need, some more than others, some less but better than others. The true art is your self, self exprecion, no style, all styles, don't only learn TKD, learn boxing, learn judo the more you know the better, study, think of what is usefull and what is not. No body can give you your style no body can tell you if you'll survive, only you. Bruce Lee was good not cause he knew Wing Chun is cause he dedicaded himself to be the best, oh and Jeet Kwon Do is not a style is a way. Oh and I personaly, don't belive in styles, just in kick and punches.LOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 8:43pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    I have never posted in this forume before, but your question is kind of general and may belong somewhere else. Soooo, here is my answer.

There are no guarantees. No matter what you study you can be beat especially if taken by surprise. So either stop worrying about it and train because you enjoy it, or sink into the black pit of paranoia always watching for the attack that will probably never come.
    :XXfridge:
    If you never posted in this forum before then why does it say you have 863 POSR ? Help me dog, help me out.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/22/2007 9:17pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's never posted in this Sub-Forum, which is the Korean Martial Arts sub forum. Stop being willfully retarded.

To the original poster: If you want to know if you can defend yourself using what you are learning then every month or two get a group of friends together, put on some 4 ounce gloves and a mouth piece and go at it for a few minutes. Go until one person gives up or gets KOed. If you can handle your friends then chances are you can handle most normal people. If your friends knock you to the ground, sit on your chest, and slap you silly until you cry then you should rethink what you're doing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12