Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:41am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pulled something in my hip while blocking a leg kick

I was blocking a leg kick with my left leg in Muay Thai sparring last Thursday after training. While blocking the kick, it landed pretty hard against my shin and somehow ended up hurting my hip. I can't exactly remember how because it happened pretty quickly.

In any case, now I can't lift my left knee up to waist-level without feeling significant pain in my hip. Feels like a pulled muscle in the front of the hip joint, just outside of the groin. I can walk fine as long as I'm careful, and the pain has actually lessened a bit since last Thursday, but it's starting to worry me. Does this sound like a pulled muscle? How long do these tend to take to heal, and what can be done to prevent this sort of injury in the future?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 6:07am

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been there, done that. It took me a week, maybe week and a half. It's just a muscle strain, no worries. Had alot of those, though never from a block. You must have been angled off a bit and had the blocking leg torqued to the side a bit after the block to pull it/strain it like that. Best thing to do is take a break from using wall defense and kicking mid height or higher. Don't go full force on low leg kicks for about a week, ice it in first 36 hours, heat it for next 36, then just stretch it out after that. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroth
    Been there, done that. It took me a week, maybe week and a half. It's just a muscle strain, no worries. Had alot of those, though never from a block. You must have been angled off a bit and had the blocking leg torqued to the side a bit after the block to pull it/strain it like that. Best thing to do is take a break from using wall defense and kicking mid height or higher. Don't go full force on low leg kicks for about a week, ice it in first 36 hours, heat it for next 36, then just stretch it out after that. Good luck.
    Thanks Necroth. I'm past the first 36 hours by now, but I did ice it on and off for a couple days following the injury. I don't have any good way to heat it at present. Hmm, maybe warm water on a wash cloth? I'll try it when I get home. Probably not a good idea at work. :p I think I'll pick up an electric heating pad since I might be seeing this type of injury more in my future.

Thanks.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obligitory "ASK YOUR DOCTOR!" aside... Don't forget to take some anti-inflammatory medication.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha
    Thanks Necroth. I'm past the first 36 hours by now, but I did ice it on and off for a couple days following the injury. I don't have any good way to heat it at present. Hmm, maybe warm water on a wash cloth? I'll try it when I get home. Probably not a good idea at work. :p I think I'll pick up an electric heating pad since I might be seeing this type of injury more in my future.

Thanks.
    Icy hot (plenty of it) may do the trick (unless the injured/cramped muscle is one of those deep ones). Just make sure you don't accidentally rub icy hot near your inseminator. It ain't pretty when that happens.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't underestimate the importance of the anti-inflamitories either. You will heal much quicker. Advil is a real life saver when it comes to pulled/strained muscles. Don't over stretch it until the pain is gone or you will keep the injury alive longer. It's the re-injury time that will kill your training so be careful for a while until you're fully recovered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:41pm

Style: Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, I used icy hot and anti-inflammatories alot when I strained my knee. I still have some issues, which is why I haven't gone back to full contact MMA training and stuck to grappling w/ no leg locks since May when i injured it. By now it's mostly some pain when twisted suddenly counterclockwise, so I have not been going through roundhouse kicking routines since left leg (injured leg) is my support leg/forward leg for most of my kicks. I want to be fully healed by next year, so I'll take the training hit probably until November, then it's full on again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I am going to take a week or so off from my usual training routine and just punch bags, shadow box (with no kicks), and maybe do some weight lifting. This afternoon my hip feels significantly better. If this trend continues then I think I've got nothing to worry about.

BSD, I totally agree about the doctor thing. If it wasn't looking much better already I'd be making an appointment ASAP. Of course, if it gets worse I will also.

You guys rock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 1:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: Trained today. No problems, just layed off the kicks. Warmed up (skipping rope), bag work (only punching combos) and some calesthenics at the end. My hip is feeling much better, but not perfect. Will give it another week and go back to my regular routine if it feels good enough.

Thanks very much for your advice guys.
    Last edited by Bahuyuddha; 10/02/2007 1:54am at .