Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love my Sirius Gi (@$100). Both the pants and jacket are soft and VERY durable; the lapel is sturdy but plyable.

I also have a Koral (@$160) that I don't like quite as much as the much cheaper Siruis. It is a bit stiff.

All of the "name" brands, Koral, Krugan, Attama, Adidas, Mizuno, ect all cost in the $150ish range and, from what I have seen, you are simply paying for the name.

HK, Gameness, Sirius all put out great durable lightweight BJJ gis for much less the price.

I have never seen the Kagi gis before but the price certainly seems right.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 2:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Edit: One warning about Sirius, though. If you have long arms, you might want to order a jacket size larger than you usually do, as the arms of their gis tend to be a little short. They're pretty good about mixing and matching jackets with pants for free, though.
    QUOTED FOR FUCKING TRUTH

Regardless of your arm length, order a jacket size over. My sirius has never been in a drier but the sleeves are probably closer to my elbows than wrists. The whole thing has also shrunk such that it is tight in the shoulders even though I was bottom-mid in the size range I ordered. Also, after about a year, I'm getting small tears in the back of the jacket. I often use bleach and wash it about twice a week depending on which of my gi's is dry, but still, it was too fucking expensive to rip this soon.

I do however very much like the collar and other aspects of the gi. Best pants I ever had were red nose, horrible jacket though. Kikskin is always good too.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go down to Bushido (a store in her area for those that don't know) and get one of their generic double-weaves. Save money.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 2:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except that judo doubles are going to be cut much different and can be annoying if you're focusing on ground work.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Except that judo doubles are going to be cut much different and can be annoying if you're focusing on ground work.
    how so? i was told before that judo gis would be fine for BJJ other than for competition due to the slightly different cut, but that in the dojo it should be fine to use a judogi.

i ask because i will at some point also take judo classes, and thought that if it comes time to get a 2nd gi i would want to go with a judo gi.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 2:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had good luck with Atama and Kikskin.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    how so? i was told before that judo gis would be fine for BJJ other than for competition due to the slightly different cut, but that in the dojo it should be fine to use a judogi.

i ask because i will at some point also take judo classes, and thought that if it comes time to get a 2nd gi i would want to go with a judo gi.
    The "slightly different cut" translates to a hell of a lot more fabric in a judo gi. This is hot and gets in the way. I doubt most bjj schools care, but I prefer my gi's more fitted than the tent style of judo (unless you go out and get a gi tailored like high level judoka do).

Apparently some of the mizuno gis have a snugger fit, but you'd have to talk to judoka.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    The "slightly different cut" translates to a hell of a lot more fabric in a judo gi. This is hot and gets in the way. I doubt most bjj schools care, but I prefer my gi's more fitted than the tent style of judo (unless you go out and get a gi tailored like high level judoka do).

Apparently some of the mizuno gis have a snugger fit, but you'd have to talk to judoka.
    i see, kind of like when i'm doing no-gi with someone in a t-shirt (instead of a rash guard) and i get caught up in the shirt when going for underhooks?

that makes a lot of sense, thanks. and sorry for the derail, although i guess it was somewhat relevant as cracky suggested a judo gi.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, but I've actually never grappled with anyone in a BJJ gi (or with anyone who had one) so I don't care what I'm missing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 4:57pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought two Atamas before their most recent price hike and wear them for Judo all the time. They fit snug but still very comfortable for both throwing and grappling. Addidas makes a decent lighter weight gi (if you live in a warmer area) that stands up to constant use, too. But yeah, these days you'll definitely pay extra for the Logo. But it's worth the investment if you're going to be doing this for years and years.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast