Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Effects of choking in a streetfight

Outside of class I've never needed to choke anybody. If the time comes in which I have to choke somebody in a street fight, I want to know whats going on with the person I am going to be choking. Some questions I have for anybody that knows are:

-If I let go immediately after unconsciousness, how long will it take for the opponent to regain consciousness?

-How long can you usually hold after unconsciousness before you kill the person?

-What other negative effects can take place from holding on for too long after unconsciousness, and how long into the choke?

-I'm guessing that the longer you hold the choke, the longer its going to take the person to awaken from unconsciousness?

I'm pretty sure that many of yall have been in street fights against people you donít really want to hurt, like a drunk friend or whatnot. I want to make sure I know what kind of damage I'll be doing if the unfortunate occasion arises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:47pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar
    -If I let go immediately after unconsciousness, how long will it take for the opponent to regain consciousness?
    It usually doesn't take long. The best estimate I can give is thirty seconds to a minute.

-How long can you usually hold after unconsciousness before you kill the person?
    The brain can only survive four to five minutes without oxygen.

-What other negative effects can take place from holding on for too long after unconsciousness, and how long into the choke?
    Brain damage, fractures of the larynx, fractures of the hyoid bone and of course, death. Brain damage occurs when the person you're choking losses consciousness. Fractures of the larynx and hyoid bone usually occur when you forcefull apply a choke or apply enough force to the choke. Death occurs if you hold the choke for too long.

-I'm guessing that the longer you hold the choke, the longer its going to take the person to awaken from unconsciousness?
    I'm not too sure about this one. If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that the longer the brain is starved of oxygen, the longer it'll take for a person to regain consciousness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:50pm

Style: Defense Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the choking stuff depends on the individual. Different people react different ways. It also depends on the choke you make. If it slides in perfectly it will take no time to get some one out, but someone other (usually someone who is used to be choked) can just smile and get out of it.

I suggest you try it out with your instructor. If you don't know eg. how to give first aid to someone unconscious, I suggest you don't try anything without supervisor. Learning first aid might be better idea, especially if you're worried about the health of your drunken friends. Needless to say, that you should NOT try how long it takes to choke somebody to death.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 12:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input, this helps me understand how to use a choke against the different levels of danger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:07pm

Style: .45ACP & Confusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in the military some drunken guy who lived in my barracks started a fight with me in the dayroom. The fight went to the ground and I managed to get a good choke on him, after about 5-10 seconds he went limp and some people watching pulled me off. If those people hadnít pulled me off I donít know what would have happened, he was much bigger than I was and I was afraid to let go. After I let go I tried to leave the room, but before I made it to the door he was back on his feet in less than 30 seconds. He tried to come back after me again but the people watching physically restrained him so I could leave.

With that being said, in a life death situation donít let up on the choke until the other dude is dead, keep the choke on for about 5 minutes.

If you are just trying to subdue a drunken buddy than keep the choke on for about 5-10seconds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along these same lines, say you choke someone out in a streetfight. Someone a lot bigger than you, someone you're not confident you can hold down. Then what do you do? Run? Kick in the jewels?

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:26pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchyMcFace
    Along these same lines, say you choke someone out in a streetfight. Someone a lot bigger than you, someone you're not confident you can hold down. Then what do you do? Run? Kick in the jewels?
    No clue, but I think it'd be hilarious if you took backmount and sank the RNC but didn't apply it. When the guy wakes up, just choke him out again. Repeat as necessary.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:32pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH

With that being said, in a life death situation donít let up on the choke until the other dude is dead, keep the choke on for about 5 minutes.
    You realize that in the US if you hold on to a choke like this until someone is dead you will be charged with murder and will most likely be found guilty. Given the amount of time it takes for death to occur you have plenty of time to make the decision to let go. And don't give me that "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 BS." It doesn't apply here. If you choke him out, the 30 seconds you have is PLENTY of time to run the hell away. This has to be the worst advice ever.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been wondering: Have any grapplers here ever had demonstrated to them in class the effects of choking someone out and how long it took for him to recover? As part of the instruction, I mean.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 1:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    You realize that in the US if you hold on to a choke like this until someone is dead you will be charged with murder and will most likely be found guilty. Given the amount of time it takes for death to occur you have plenty of time to make the decision to let go. And don't give me that "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 BS." It doesn't apply here. If you choke him out, the 30 seconds you have is PLENTY of time to run the hell away. This has to be the worst advice ever.
    Would that still apply if the person you killed broke into your house or something? It would be a good idea for BJJ instructors to take some time after class to lecture students on this kind of thing every once in a while.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast