Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

he's laying flat on his stomache...how do turn over?

yeah, so I'm new to judo and haven't gone to a enough classes yet to learn any good ones and the only one is where i put my arm under his,lift so i can get the leg on the same side under, try to roll himover into my guard for a RNC.
    So yeah, obviously if it doesnt work hes just right back in the same position. There haven't been many classes yet this year and I'm probably the newest member in a few years LOL, its a kinda small class but it's great. I figure he's just letting me play with it so I don't get scared away, and will get into more stuff as I go along.

WUT HOW DO TURN OVER PLZ

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 5:28pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a training partner that does this and I just choke him anyway. Mount him, get an arm in and go for the RNC. He'll have to move to defend it and that when you get your hooks in. I have also gotten him in a head and arm choke from there as well.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 5:43pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the side, try grabbing a handful of his Gi pants around halfway up the outside of his nearest thigh (for the sake of this example, I'll assume you are on his left) and lifting the leg.

Once it's up, slide your right knee into the gap you created, then hook your left arm under his head to grab his Gi around his right shoulder. Roll him over, and keep your weight down - press your abdomen into the ground.

Try that. There are plenty of others, but I've found that one to be a pretty straightforward turnover.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 6:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright thanks, will try next class!

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 8:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why roll him over? if he lays flat out and you're on his back, just start sinking a RNC. he won't be able to do a damn thing against it from there. I find that's a better position than having him on top of you while you're on your back. What will most likely happen is, once you try to sink the choke from there he'll try to get on his knees. Just grapevine his legs out so he goes back to his stomach and finish the choke. I promise, this is actually a great position to be in for a sub.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupVeteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In MMA and Submission wrestling, you're absolutely right Wolf. But you can't touch the face in judo competition, so no grinding the bridge of the nose to expose the throat, for example.

+ it's a belt requirement to be able to do turnovers anyway.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 8:55pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, well then...ignore what i said :toothy10:

MADE OF STEEL!

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure not to be like me, and resist the urge to grab the back of their collar and spine crank them when they flatten out on their stomach. No matter how much your opponent is asking for it, that sort of thing is heavily frowned upon in judo.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 10:28pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time I was in a judo class it was completely acceptable to apply pressure to the back of the neck via the forearm. Make the guy uncomfortable enough to force him to make a move.

On a side note. I despise the "you need to be a higher belt to do that" mentality. So long as you don't grab the guys junk, stick a finger in his ass or otherwise molest him I'd say go for it. It's like the BJJ guys I roll with that get pissy when I put an elbow in the throat. 9 times outta 10 they bitch because they can't beat you to begin then they have to hide behind "well you can't do that in judo/bjj/kung fu and so on".
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Achievements:

Posted On:
    9/30/2007 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. You sound familiar (Mighty Mcclaw). If you weren't in Michigan I'd swear I rolled with someone who sounds just like you last week.

To the OP: Another good turnover is when you swing around until you are in a modified north-south position (as per usual but with your opponent face-down instead of face-up). Drive your right (for example) arm under their same side armpit (their left in this case) into an underhook.

Pulling them towards you as you lift up their arm (and shoulder by proxy), bring yourself into a squatting position (virtually sitting on their head) and swing your opposite leg (your left leg in this case) over their body - making sure not to let go of the underhook).

You can then drop your weight straight down, which makes you roll back, and apply a Sankaku-JIme (triangle choke) by tucking your foot into the crevice of the opposite knee or juji-gatame (armbar) by bringing your knees together and arching your hips, or even do a forward roll, also ending in an armbar that looks pretty cool.

Obviously that's far more complicated, and therefore easier to screw up, but that kind of thing can work well if you drill it enough to be fluent, and the opponent doesn't really expect it. Stick with the first one for now though.

Tabwyo - I agree with you completely. In Judo, what you can do it grab two handfulls of the back of their Gi collar - right behind the neck and give it a bit of a surreptitious grind. I perfer sparring and rolling in MMA rules, where you get a more accurate idea of what you can do. After all, turtling is a good way to get the crap beaten out of you in a serious fight.

I also hate the mentality of "oh you can't do that, it's illegal", but when I envisage Judo as a martial sport, and MMA sparring as fight training, I can deal with the restrictive ruleset.
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 9/30/2007 10:38pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast