Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now you guys have me intrigued.

I have to admit I came into martial arts blank slate. I figured fighting is fighting, the same way racing is racing. I figured the difference between martial arts was like the differnce between NASCAR, motorcycle, and boat racing. The dojo I was at was great, it had great people who were dedicated, I figure there's got to be something behind this right? But then I'm spending most of my time doing stuff that I know is pointless in real life, and I just can't believe it because why would these people put years of serious effort into something if it has fatal flaws? Why would you incorporate katas since the 1800s if it didn't work? And so on. It sill kind of blows my mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:05pm

Style: (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersmyid
    But then I'm spending most of my time doing stuff that I know is pointless in real life, and I just can't believe it because why would these people put years of serious effort into something if it has fatal flaws? Why would you incorporate katas since the 1800s if it didn't work?
    Because people are easily misled and will believe anything. This manifests itself in basically all areas of life.

Religion. The sheer amount of bollocks in most religions is stupendous. Check out transubstantiation *shudder*

Medicine. Especially medicine. Delve into the theory behind homeopathy, for example.

And, martial arts. From Dim Mak the Death Touch, to blindly following traditions and swallowing belief patterns whole, to venerating long-dead instructors who should have known better.

This is the human condition. There is bullshit everywhere. Always has been, probably always will be. People can convince themselves of anything, and many will simply not accept any contradictory evidence.

After reading The Golden Bough, a comprehensive study of religion and superstition in human history, I've actually grown more optimistic regarding bullshit. We're lucky to be here considering all the nonsense our ancestors subscribed to. Your neighbours might practise kata 6 hours a week and consider themselves überdeadly fighters, but at least they are not afraid of trimming their fingernails lest somebody collects the trimmings and casts a horrible spell on them, and they don't collect their hair that has fallen out and stuff it in the cracks of their apartment, so that it would be handily ready for them when they arise at the end of days and need all of their hair they have ever grown to be whole.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi gymkata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our local judo coach does Aikido and he loves MMA and trains with a BJJ instructor on a regular basis. I don't think anyone here says MMA is the only "real" deal. In fact, a lot of people here speak highly of Kali and of 'good' Krav. By good Krav, I mean the sort of Krav that takes years to learn, not the strip mall brand being peddled around the US.

BTW, anyone have any thoughts on Moni Azik.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 3:42pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow talk about non-alive compliant sparring in that video.
    "here you punch me really lightly then i'll hug you and we make up"

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 4:58pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasreal
    wow talk about non-alive compliant sparring in that video.
    "here you punch me really lightly then i'll hug you and we make up"

Are you talking about Couture's drilling of the destruction/slip to greco clinch?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one is allowed to insult Randy Couture. EVER. If Randy Couture enters into a partnership with Ashida Kim and says he will KO his next opponet with Chi lasers, you might as well buy your tabi and BDFS T-shirt right now because that's the way it is going to be.

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 5:09pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While a bit extreme, I like the cut of your jib, sir.

poser

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:04pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone likes Vince Tortelli's jib. That's because it's firmly and permanently glued to Randy Couture's nuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2007 7:12pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    No one is allowed to insult Randy Couture. EVER. If Randy Couture enters into a partnership with Ashida Kim and says he will KO his next opponet with Chi lasers, you might as well buy your tabi and BDFS T-shirt right now because that's the way it is going to be.
    NO sir i don't like it, i don't like it at all. I would never wear tabi, on everything else i agree with you 100%

poser

Posted On:
    10/02/2007 7:08pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Everyone likes Vince Tortelli's jib. That's because it's firmly and permanently glued to Randy Couture's nuts.
    Jib
    /dʒɪb/ Spelled Pronunciation [jib]
    –noun Nautical. 1.any of various triangular sails set forward of a forestaysail or fore-topmast staysail.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast